Some Ai Lance-Mates Are Suicidal

30 replies to this topic

#21 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:35 AM

Rule 1: Don´t give SRM´s to your pilots, that makes them want to kiss the other mechs.

Rule 2: Full armor on all AI driven mechs.

Rule 3: .. errmm ... there is no rule 3.

#22 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:49 AM

View Postcszolee79, on 16 December 2019 - 06:44 AM, said:

It depends on equipped weapon ranges. Those with long(er) range weapons like ppc, gauss, lrms, ac5s keep their distance.
Those with short range weapons will run to the enemies and then quickly die. Best way to get rid of an AI pilot is to give him SRMs and small lasers Posted Image
Those with mixed weapons (like an Atlas D) also keep the distance, then dakka away with the AC20 when the enemies get close. At least that is what I observed.

Nope, I thought the same, till my Cat with 2SMLs and 2 lrms20s ran from wayyyyyyy far away, to go and face hug an awesome. I was like...uh sir, you're doing it wrong.

I def believe there are hidden traits, to he point where I had to shift pilots into different mechs...mostly out of frustration with that particular pilot, who had better evasion and defensive stats, would keep getting my Warhammers arms blown off...I'm pretty sure I spend an entire Merc level, just replacing LLs every mission. As soon as I gave the Warhammer to someone else, the mech was taking 25% less damage, and the stats for that pilot were way worse.

#23 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:50 AM

You definitely don't want to give the AI pilots mechs with experience arm weapons. I am only at level 7, but the some of the enemy AI pilots are seemingly targeting weapon hardpoints.

#24 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 16 December 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

Try him in a quick-draw with 4 Medium lasers, SRM4 and SRM6. He seems to do well in close range brawlers. Putting him in a warhammer with PPC's just doesn't produce great results even though he has maxed out his energy weapon skill points at 8/8.

I will give it a try, but as others have said, AI pilots running SRMs usually mean lots of repair bills.
So far I haven't lost an AI pilot, although it was real close on that mission where you earn the Warhammer. Had one injured for 57 days.

#25 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:36 AM

some are leeroys and others are combat avoidant. it does help to put the right pilots in the right mechs though. you can give your cautious pilots your higher end mechs, your missile boats or ranged builds. give your aggressive pilots light and medium srm bombers.

#26 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:21 PM

The AI was modeled from MWO pug behavior.
Working as intendedPosted Image

#27 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:39 PM

oh man . . thought I was in MWO, my 3 pilots went chasing a rabbit, thought I was going to break my f1 f2 keys, spamming them to get their butts back, where the fight was at.
was screaming "get you asses over here & help me with this lance of mechs and squad of tanks", but they were determine, to chase that LRM Locust , that kept running away to keep it's range. Even tried the f3 command, hoping they would then come my way . . nope

I haven't noticed that the piloting skills helps the Hired pilots. had some pilots with bad evade skills, do great, and some with good evading skills, just get them self damaged.
I try and match mechs to the pilots skills, but cannot always do that, specially in Multi-Part mission, sometimes that works, sometimes, it does not.. Its more like match a certain mech to the Hired Pilot, not by their weapon/pilots skills

#28 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:46 PM

Okay, I guess 3000M+ is not far

Posted Image

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 16 December 2019 - 08:53 PM.

#29 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 16 December 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

oh man . . thought I was in MWO, my 3 pilots went chasing a rabbit, thought I was going to break my f1 f2 keys, spamming them to get their butts back, where the fight was at.
was screaming "get you asses over here & help me with this lance of mechs and squad of tanks", but they were determine, to chase that LRM Locust , that kept running away to keep it's range. Even tried the f3 command, hoping they would then come my way . . nope

If you had Voice Attack installed, you could've actually screamed at them for real and they'd have listened. Posted Image Posted Image

View PostXaat Xuun, on 16 December 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

Okay, I guess 3000M+ is not far

At least she's better than Sumire and Darius.

#30 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:14 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 December 2019 - 07:46 AM, said:

What I find particularly annoying is they don't follow orders. "Form up on me" breaks the moment some srm tank squirrel appears over the ridge and they sprint off to meet it. I clocked a million c-bills in damages in one battle where my Grasshopper contributed ~10% of that cost. Now I only run with two lance mates in medium 'Mechs. They are bait while I plough through the imbecilic OPFor to whatever objective is needed. Then I run off to the evac zone and the mission handily ends no matter where my lance of morons has ended up. This way I keep my repair costs low, and losing a lancemate is fine. I just need to keep one reasonably nippy Heavy as my main that can burst down the mission objective.

I always pilot fast mechs so I can run to the evac zone when things get ugly.

And no, losing a lancemate (mech or pilot) is never fine.

#31 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:24 AM

View PostHumpday, on 16 December 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Hmm... interesting. Will have to check it more myself.
Thing I noticed, since I replaced the AC20 on my Atlas Ds with Gauss, the AI pilots no longer try to facehug the enemies.
Or it's just the different pilots, possibly. 50+ skill point pilots are pretty good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users