So Someone Asked The Chieftain A Mech Question...

67 replies to this topic

#21 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:33 PM

lol, spoken like a true bad.

#22 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

Lol, spoken like a true try-hard

#23 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 December 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

i wasnt talking about you. can the narcissism.

Nah, you were talking about me, weren't you cupcake? Cause you tried to claim that your early history brought down your stats, despite the fact that your average for the last 5 seasons is pretty much within a standard deviation or two of your lifetime average on Jarl's. Which means you've hit your limit (unless maybe you hit up a good player like Ash who is willing to train people - or was willing). Which is perfectly fine, everyone has a skill cap and neither you nor I can claim to be world class players. But when you go around copping an attitude and starting stuff, you're gonna get called on your subpar play.

#24 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 29 December 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

Lol, spoken like a true try-hard

lol, how dare someone try their best and work to improve in a game that only offers ranked play.

#25 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 29 December 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

lol, how dare someone try their best and work to improve in a game that only offers ranked play.

You do realise caring about your rank is just a different seat on the narcissism bus...

#26 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

Narcissists rarely realize (or admit) that they're narcissists. Even if its spelled it out for them. Or beaten into them with a large cricket bat.

#27 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:06 PM

Self improvement isn't narcissism. lol

Dee eight bragging on seal clubbing def is tho.

Von Bruinwald just delusional.

#28 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 29 December 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

Narcissists rarely realize (or admit) that they're narcissists. Even if its spelled it out for them. Or beaten into them with a large cricket bat.

lol

And as proven many times now you're a habitual liar. Lies you create to justify your invalid points while talking up your own self-importance/ability.

That would make you a Narcissist - Funny, it gets spelled out and you don't even realise Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Delicious ironing that is.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 29 December 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#29 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:55 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 29 December 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Delicious ironing that is.

OK yoda

Posted Image

#30 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:17 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 29 December 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

OK yoda

Posted Image

have some dignity, get some decent ******* cookware.

#31 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:27 AM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 29 December 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

Nah, you were talking about me, weren't you cupcake? Cause you tried to claim that your early history brought down your stats, despite the fact that your average for the last 5 seasons is pretty much within a standard deviation or two of your lifetime average on Jarl's. Which means you've hit your limit (unless maybe you hit up a good player like Ash who is willing to train people - or was willing). Which is perfectly fine, everyone has a skill cap and neither you nor I can claim to be world class players. But when you go around copping an attitude and starting stuff, you're gonna get called on your subpar play.

i hit my limit way back on season 12. this does not bother me. increasing my skill at a game that could be taken down at the drop of my hat is not really a valid use of my time. so i play the events, use my bat **** insane blitzkrieg tactics and have a blast.

whether or not my assumption about stat sanitizing is correct or not, i really don't care. it still smells kinda fishy to me, a red flag and nothing more. i'll leave others to to form their own opinions.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 December 2019 - 12:29 AM.

#32 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

The idea that someone doesn't care about winning is an absolute literal lie. Also indicative of a need for some therapy. Of course someone cares if they win, that's literally the point of the game. A 100% disinterest in success or failure in a game setting like this would leave you unable to make functional decisions. The decision-making process of 'do I go shoot enemy robots or allied robots' requires an evaluation of 'what wins' vs 'what doesn't win'. If winning or losing has absolutely 0 impact on your opinion about a match you need genuine therapy and possibly medication because there's brain chemistry involved that's not working correctly.

The idea that caring if you are successful or unsuccessful at something, anything, and staying aware of your performance and what you can do to improve equates to narcissism is also, well, to put it simply, ****** up. It's not just false but implies some real issues.

'I don't care' is a defense mechanism. If you say you don't care then you justify not trying which means you don't have the same emotional investment in your success or failure. Yet you are trying; that's why you built the robbit and you dropped in the match. Everyone would rather do something well than poorly and improve over what they did before. People hit a point where they are unwilling to put in the effort to improve beyond where they are but how dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine work doesn't change. People want to succeed and do better just they are unwilling or uncomfortable with taking the risks associated with the increase effort and/or change involved in doing so.

Then when confronted by others putting in that effort/making those changes you have to either say 'I'm too scared/unwilling to expend the same effort' or you say 'anyone who does more than I've done is morally inferior/mean/doing it just to hurt me/others' so you make yourself feel better.

Me? I haven't played in 6 months. I absolutely did use Jarls List to check my stats and compare how I *felt* I was doing vs how I was actually performing. I die too much in QP, position poorly and often make bad decisions about what is and isn't a good risk. 'I'll just poke over, finish that one guy and scoot back to cover' is one of my favorite bad decisions to make. Alone with 'Ugh, I don't want to reposition, I'll poke out again just one more time from this same spot'.

It's okay to be bad and make mistakes. Trying to moralize mistakes and a failure/unwillingness to improve is, however, bad and bad for you. It's okay to accept and acknowledge other people are better at stuff than you and accepting the advice of others or recognizing when someone else is right and you're wrong. The moral failing is refusing to do so.

There you go. Everyone is fixed. Copay is $20, make an appointment for next week and take your ****ing meds.

#33 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

winning means different things to different people. winning a long boring game doesn't feel like a win to me. and the best game i had yesterday was a loss, yet it felt like a win because it was fast paced, there was a lot of brawling and it came down to the last man. if you are having fun its a win. thats actually how you know you have a good game design when losing is as fun as winning (kerbal space program in a nutshell, your rocket turns into a fireball and you cant help but chuckle a little).

Edited by LordNothing, 30 December 2019 - 06:52 PM.

#34 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:57 AM

Ahh he's employed by Wargaming net.

Explains why I've not heard of him

Good historians don't work for game companies.

#35 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 30 December 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

The idea that someone doesn't care about winning is an absolute literal lie. Also indicative of a need for some therapy.

Really.. well sucks to be you.
because if a person isn't good enough without the win they sure as hell are not good enough with it.

Some are so insecure and fearing of failure they even need winners badges and medal to prove they haven't.

now self improvement is something every one should look to achieve, in life.

Does that actually count in a little computer game.

Depends if you are capable of more in life of not.

But self improvement by going out, giving a blanket to a homeless vet, or being in the top hundred of a game played but about 1000 people so you don't get accused of mental instability...

hmm not sure its the people that don't care, that need the therapy

#36 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 30 December 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

The idea that someone doesn't care about winning is an absolute literal lie. Also indicative of a need for some therapy. Of course someone cares if they win, that's literally the point of the game.

”the point of the game” is where your analysis fails for a large chunk of this community. I know and have known a LOT of people (and on many an occasion I am one of them) who are not playing to win or lose a given match but to “play” literally play, as in play with, their virtual toys with other people. You have mech dads and lore nerds and nostalgic TT folk that are here to socialize, who play intentionally bad builds, who team kill each other, play inebriated, and/or engage in all sorts of other conduct that does not lend itself to winning. And they do not care if any of that conduct results in a win. They are playing, and for them that is the goal.

Imho the problem has always been that this “game” was for the last several years the only decent place that they and others like them could come and play with their virtual stompy robots, and unfortunately it was (and remains) the same place that folks who actually treat the game as a competitive endeavor were forced to encounter one another. PGI trying to maintain an environment where both of these populations can viably exist has been their biggest mistake, and after the awfulness of the NPE, the primary reason that the population has been continuously dropping for years.

#37 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 31 December 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

”the point of the game” is where your analysis fails for a large chunk of this community. I know and have known a LOT of people (and on many an occasion I am one of them) who are not playing to win or lose a given match but to “play” literally play, as in play with, their virtual toys with other people. You have mech dads and lore nerds and nostalgic TT folk that are here to socialize, who play intentionally bad builds, who team kill each other, play inebriated, and/or engage in all sorts of other conduct that does not lend itself to winning. And they do not care if any of that conduct results in a win. They are playing, and for them that is the goal.

Your rationale sounds good on first take. But on closer analysis, I don't buy it. Even ignoring the human nature argument, everything you've mentioned as reason for playing is better when you win. Playing a troll build? Winning is still more fun, and if you're winning it probably means you're getting to play that build for a longer time in each game (cause you aren't dying as often or as quickly). Team killing? If it's you or your buddy, isn't it more fun if you kill your buddy? Playing drunk? Still more fun if you win. Even if you're playing a sub-par build, isn't part of the reason to challenge yourself? It's like playing a non-meta mech - if you beat all the "meta tryhards" its gratifying, no?

Sure, winning all the time will get old because there is no challenge, and no challenge/test of skill diminishes the import of that win (for most people - else there'd be a lot more men competing in female weightlifting competitions....Posted Image ). So most of us want some real competition to test ourselves against. But to say you don't care about winning, even if you define winning as improving on your performance, in the vast majority of cases I just don't buy it.

#38 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

Cool to know that The Chieftain knows something about BattleTech :)

#39 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostC E Dwyer, on 31 December 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

Ahh he's employed by Wargaming net.

Explains why I've not heard of him

Good historians don't work for game companies.

He was a good historian BEFORE he went to work for the game company. THAT'S WHY HE WAS HIRED BY THEM. And that game company has brought a lot of attention and donation dollars/pounds/rubles/euro to many military history museums around the world that they would not have otherwise received without the World of Tanks game.

Edited by Dee Eight, 31 December 2019 - 08:41 PM.

#40 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:49 PM

Nerd! Nerd! Nerd! NEEEERRRRRDDDDSSSS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users