Ams: Not Relevant In Mw5

ams

6 replies to this topic

#1 Apocal43

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:07 PM

Is it just me, or are AMS just something of a waste in MW5? I bought a Jester, did the usual LL setup, minus the jump jets, but the AMS just doesn't seem particularly useful. I suppose it is shooting down some of the missiles aimed my way, but the AI doesn't especially blot out the sun with LRMs, at least up to the level 60 missions I have done. And it is late coming into the game, with only a few mechs/variants supporting it, most of which want to use that tonnage for something else, like UAC ammo or LBXs or what have you.

Does this change and make AMS a useful commitment of tonnage? Or is it just a system put into place without much relevancy?

#2 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 December 2019 - 02:31 AM

Nope, the AI isn't using LRM much. Even Stalkers are not spamming them. Good thing since the number of Mechs that can carry AMS is minuscule. 4 or 5 at most.

#3 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:37 AM

Never used one in this game.

Not sure where people are getting the idea that the AI won't spam L.R.M's from.

Ignore Catapults, Archers and Awesomes at your peril

#4 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:13 AM

Yes it's irrelevant. Enemies don't field enough missiles to even think about it.

I'm tempted to say it's also irrelevant in MWO, but it's certainly more relevant there.

#5 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:09 AM

I had Atlas K and Jester in lance, couldn't even stop lrm 10s with (3 AMS). They need to seriously buff AMS to make it remotely worth it. dual ams should shut down lrm carriers which are lrm 60s to be worth it.

#6 cszolee79

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

AS7-K has the free weight to take the AMS, but on any other mech it's a waste of tonnage when you could have more ammo or heatsinks.
It looks like cute bunny ears on the Catapult Jester though :)

#7 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:36 PM

View PostApocal43, on 30 December 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

Is it just me, or are AMS just something of a waste in MW5? I bought a Jester, did the usual LL setup, minus the jump jets, but the AMS just doesn't seem particularly useful. I suppose it is shooting down some of the missiles aimed my way, but the AI doesn't especially blot out the sun with LRMs, at least up to the level 60 missions I have done. And it is late coming into the game, with only a few mechs/variants supporting it, most of which want to use that tonnage for something else, like UAC ammo or LBXs or what have you.

Does this change and make AMS a useful commitment of tonnage? Or is it just a system put into place without much relevancy?

I found the Jester in MW5 and fell in love all over again. I like that mech so very much! Posted Image

View PostC E Dwyer, on 31 December 2019 - 07:37 AM, said:

Not sure where people are getting the idea that the AI won't spam L.R.M's from.

Ignore Catapults, Archers and Awesomes at your peril

Agreed; missile boats were almost always my number 1 priority to kill.

Perhaps I'm just crazy, but I found AMS very useful. Seems the AI likes to fire individual missile racks, and while the visual and sound effect remained the same, I at least felt like the damage being taken was reduced a fair bit. Placebo affect, maybe?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users