31 replies to this topic

#21 Fippy Darkpaw

• Pip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

View Postmad kat, on 04 January 2020 - 04:02 PM, said:

Judging by my years in MWO real human players are just as bad as removing as much friendly armour.

So by that measure the A.I. is pretty realistic.

^ This

#22 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:17 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 January 2020 - 03:52 AM, said:

The Jagermech/Riflemech in your example are simply using MechCombat Ranged.
Some assault mechs like the Atlas K will also use this strategy, though Atlas K is capable of switching between it and a couple of others.

Mechs choose their strategies based on loadout and a couple of other minor factors.

This said, you can pretty much derp them out. For example if they're doing a circle of death, move so that there's a hill in their circle and they'll derp out to a crawl letting you nail in nasty shots and from there rush them. They'll be locked at a slow rate of speed as they try to figure out what to do since they can't get the circle going again.

so, in other words, just like real pilots in MWO...

Posted Image

#23 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:47 AM

Last night I came across a defense mission with 400 ton drop weight.

I dropped 2 Annihilators and 2 Atlases.

The game placed me and the lancemates in a star-pattern of eco-spheres and fields. Smack in the middle of them. Literally 1 second after mission start, my lancemate has already stomped on an eco-sphere, and the base was at 98%, with no enemies on screen.

As the fighting started, I watches as salvo after salvo of my lancemate's fire ended up in the base structures and my own back. My team was more damaging to the base than the enemy.

And when it came to enemies, there were so many, and they just kept coming, not even in waves, but willy-nilly, and soon, I was overwhelmed.

Keep in mind that when you tell the lancemates to focus a target, they often just deal with the targets attacking them closest, instead of focusing fire. It's like playing with PUGs at times..

I restarted the mission 3 times, and could not complete it even once. I'm at rank 15, and the mission is rank 13, difficulty 95.

Damn the lancemate A.I. can be bad at times... :/

#24 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

View PostFippy Darkpaw, on 07 January 2020 - 03:24 PM, said:

^ This

I don't think the seasoned pilots are that bad. Ya know the pilot skill 11/19 is the average player.. but when you've got a trained 60/60 pilot.... I really think it should be different.

Also an idea... we have the go to this location command, and the attack my target command, and the follow me puppy command. What about the sit.. or stay command? Just stay there... don't go here, or there, or anywhere.. just sit Ubu?

#25 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:04 AM

As long as you lancemates are not attacked or a target is in range they stay where you commanded them to go.

#26 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

I have been using the F3 method to have the lance secure a location/engagement area and it works for the most part. However I have to spam F1/F3 after every kill or the command to stay in an area seems to cancel out.

If I am in a light scouting ahead for example or trying to damage a base for a Demo mission, the lance 100% leaves the area they were told to stay in and follows me to the base and gets surrounded during my scout/assault run on the buildings.

Sometimes it's not the entire lance it's only 2 of the 3 who leave the area they were told to stay at.

#27 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:31 AM

Interesting. I once had one of my mechs, that was damaged to much for my taste, stand in a corner of the map while I finished the mission. It didn't followed me and was still there at the end.

#28 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:01 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 08 January 2020 - 07:27 AM, said:

I have been using the F3 method to have the lance secure a location/engagement area and it works for the most part. However I have to spam F1/F3 after every kill or the command to stay in an area seems to cancel out.

If I am in a light scouting ahead for example or trying to damage a base for a Demo mission, the lance 100% leaves the area they were told to stay in and follows me to the base and gets surrounded during my scout/assault run on the buildings.

Sometimes it's not the entire lance it's only 2 of the 3 who leave the area they were told to stay at.

That's not my experience.
There is the occasional lance-mate that still follows me after issuing a lance-go-there order (issuing the order a 2nd time usually fixes that), but once they obey the command, they tend to stay in the general area no matter how many enemies they kill.
Now, if I give them an attack-my-target command, they move away after killing that enemy, but that's because any new command nullifies any former commands and "sets them free", so to speak.

#29 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:46 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 08 January 2020 - 12:47 AM, said:

Last night I came across a defense mission with 400 ton drop weight.

I dropped 2 Annihilators and 2 Atlases.

The game placed me and the lancemates in a star-pattern of eco-spheres and fields. Smack in the middle of them. Literally 1 second after mission start, my lancemate has already stomped on an eco-sphere, and the base was at 98%, with no enemies on screen.

As the fighting started, I watches as salvo after salvo of my lancemate's fire ended up in the base structures and my own back. My team was more damaging to the base than the enemy.

And when it came to enemies, there were so many, and they just kept coming, not even in waves, but willy-nilly, and soon, I was overwhelmed.

Keep in mind that when you tell the lancemates to focus a target, they often just deal with the targets attacking them closest, instead of focusing fire. It's like playing with PUGs at times..

I restarted the mission 3 times, and could not complete it even once. I'm at rank 15, and the mission is rank 13, difficulty 95.

Damn the lancemate A.I. can be bad at times... :/

just for giggles I demolished a defense target... took almost forever, and it appears close to impossible to actually lose a defense mission unless you die.

#30 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:38 AM

Naw. They're not that troublesome. Just load up a firestarter an have fun!

Honestly, I managed to find a nice 3x multipule mission planet and got ten drops inna hundred days. My mechs were wrecked at the end of it. Afterwards I looked into easier mission endings than map clears, like rapid raids and demolitions via cicada dashes. On thing I found out was I could end a defense mission without pay or rep penalty by destroying the base. It's a quick way out if a multipule mission is going south an I've a defense at the end. (I tend not to want to save scum away successful missions, if I'm left with a pair of lights at the end of a multipule mission trail.)

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 09 January 2020 - 02:39 AM.

#31 creek

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

All of the AI needs work. Why would a locust charge 4 medium mechs? Why do tanks drive around randomly instead of forming ranks and presenting a more formidable threat? Why does my lance perform the Hawaiian Punch dance routine on targets we are supposed to protect? It would really improve the game immensely if there were a little more tactical consideration needed for the missions.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

View Postcreek, on 19 January 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

All of the AI needs work. 1)Why would a locust charge 4 medium mechs? 2) Why do tanks drive around randomly instead of forming ranks and presenting a more formidable threat? 3) Why does my lance perform the Hawaiian Punch dance routine on targets we are supposed to protect? 4) It would really improve the game immensely if there were a little more tactical consideration needed for the missions.

1) Aside from the "M" Locusts, they don't have a choice as their range is 270 meters or less. Though they do have a choice as to which way they charge from, like most players they'll pick the fastest way once spotted.

2) Because each individual tank doesn't know the other tanks exist. Everything is "Object", "Navmesh" or "Structure."
Posted Image
In this image, "green" is structure, and blue can be literally anything classified as an object. People, cars, tanks, trees, other AI, etc.. they're just blue dots. Even enemies are just blue dots, unless targeted in which case they become a red dot.

3) That's context sensitive. What's specifically going on? If the -- looked up the dance. Nevermind I can tell you exactly what's going on. One of two things: Issues deciding on exactly what target to focus on, or if they're still in formation, struggling to stay in formation while simultaneously trying not to destroy the target building... which is a conflict of "desires." Likely the second.

4) Agreed, but as each AI decides only on what's best for itself while being blind to the world, it cannot do anything of the sort as is. Not to say this couldn't be improved but it isn't like snap your fingers easy.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users