16 replies to this topic

#1 terascque

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:32 AM

Hi Guys,

Any idea why the game needs to draw "Very High" power usage, even if all the settings are down at low?

I feel like I am frying my laptop. It gets so hot I cant even rest it on my lap anymore, which sort of defeats the purpose of a "laptop."

I seem to recall that when Battletech came out the same thing happened. For whatever reason the game wasn't optimized and was drawing a ridiculous amount of power to the graphics card.

Why is this game drawing so much power and can it be reduced somehow so that I am not burning myself just to play the game?

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:59 PM

this is more likely your CPU from my own laptop experience. Could you provide your system specs? Also, I always use a cooling pad.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:02 PM

It doesn't matter how low the settings are set to. If your PC barely meets the minimum requirements, it'll struggle to run it. It'll help if you provide your system specs.

#4 terascque

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:46 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response.

I7 7700k @ 2.8
GTX 1070
16 GB Ram

Specs are plenty sufficient.

Edited by terascque, 08 January 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#5 Gantry

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:15 PM

my laptop is less beefy than yours (i7-4000something and 860m gpu), and I agree that I'm pushing it pretty hard at close to minimum settings and it gets hot too. I don't think it's abnormal to be running hot. I do use a cooling pad more for my comfort than really benefiting the laptop that much.

#6 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:47 PM

View Postterascque, on 05 January 2020 - 06:32 AM, said:

Why is this game drawing so much power and can it be reduced somehow so that I am not burning myself just to play the game?

As with MWO, if you notice the non-first person hangar is amazingly hungry. That one you can't do anything about possibly as that's how their hangars are for whatever reason continually running lighting or more in real-time or something. I don't like to spend time in the hangar wasting electricity. Most of it should be pausable until the user does something that should create an effect like rotating the mech, click to change a part, etc so I don't know what their idea is there for a really boring screen to be expensive with usage.

In-game should technically be better. If you can't lower it much by graphical settings it then you would have to find another way. I don't know if the UE4 console is available (didn't check) or if they have some less visible way available. Alternatively, you can downclock stuff, lower cpu affinity to hold back gpu usage, lower resolution, try to get vsync to only use 30fps, etc. One or a combination should lower the amount of usage the game requires. At the same time it should lower fps so will need to just deal with that.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 08 January 2020 - 06:59 PM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

my cat has taken to sleeping by the exhaust whilst i play games due to the very unorthodox fan configuration. its negative pressure configuration in a small form factor case, so much of the heat from the card is pushed put the front of the case. laptops use thermodynamic black magic to avoid melting. i got tired of laptops melting themselves so i stopped buying them many years ago.

heat is unavoidable because video games depend on a lot of math that makes your cpu/gpu max out its capabilities. you cant really do anything about the cpu, but you can knock down your resolution so that your gpu cores have less pixels to fill. vsync can be used to cap your framerate to keep the gpu from rendering more frames than it needs to.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 January 2020 - 09:26 PM.

#8 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:42 PM

Hello guys, I send a tech request ticket to AMD and they responded will look into it, pray the next update will have this improvement.

and example thread in AMD = https://community.am...m/thread/247205

________________________________________________________________________________________

On another note, MWO innersphere map also suck alot of power wasted, can't ready up after finishing a CW, must quickly goto mechlab and power draw is reduced significantly then ready up to not waste power.

Edited by cx5, 09 January 2020 - 07:44 PM.

#9 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

View Postcx5, on 09 January 2020 - 07:42 PM, said:

Hello guys, I send a tech request ticket to AMD and they responded will look into it, pray the next update will have this improvement.

and example thread in AMD = https://community.am...m/thread/247205

________________________________________________________________________________________

On another note, MWO innersphere map also suck alot of power wasted, can't ready up after finishing a CW, must quickly goto mechlab and power draw is reduced significantly then ready up to not waste power.

AMD update driver for MW5, get it here

AMD says
Please give a try for the latest 20.1.1 driver for your Vega 64 graphic card.
[color=#0563C1]https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-1[/color]

Solve 300watts high power wastage for me, now consistently 200w power draw in non-battle-scene, i.e. story mode, but game play gets around 70fps to 120fps on 2560 x 1440 all defaults, MW5 graphics auto detect.

No more zoom drop fps also, problem solved.

#10 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:21 AM

View Postterascque, on 08 January 2020 - 04:46 PM, said:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response.

I7 7700k @ 2.8
GTX 1070
16 GB Ram

Specs are plenty sufficient.

Obviously have v-sync on so the hardware does not work on max all the time

Ya can try MSI Afterburner to set the power and temperature target of your GPU all the way to the left (I think lowest is 80%)
If your hardware runs too hot it'll downclock anyway

Optimization is kinda as expected for MW5

#11 terascque

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I still think something is wrong with this game. I understand some heat is normal. However, so much heat that I burn my junk isn't. I literally can not sit with my laptop in my lap.

When I pull up the task manager and look at "power usage" the game is listed at very high. I have never seen that before even with ESO at max settings or Skyrim with 50 mods. Or Crysis, or Doom, or hell even Deus Ex @ 4K

My laptop is cooler with Skyrim at max settings and 50 mods then this game is. How is that possible?

Why doesn't Epic or PGI have an official support page for this game? Clearly something is wrong, but what I don't know. Trying to cap my frames or any other setting I could think of has done nothing, and I will no longer play the game, as I feel I must be damaging my laptop.

Now, where is my refund?

#12 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

The thing is, your CPU is going into turbo all the time, which means it's OCing constantly. You can disable turbo mode and your laptop will run significantly cooler. I'd still suggest a cooling pad, not only for the additional venting, but also for the improved airflow.

#13 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:56 AM

My CPU (AMD) is bored with 30% useage by MW5 but my GPU (Nvidia) is 100% constant useage with around 70°C

#14 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:13 AM

View Postterascque, on 05 January 2020 - 06:32 AM, said:

Hi Guys,

Any idea why the game needs to draw "Very High" power usage, even if all the settings are down at low?

I feel like I am frying my laptop. It gets so hot I cant even rest it on my lap anymore, which sort of defeats the purpose of a "laptop."

I seem to recall that when Battletech came out the same thing happened. For whatever reason the game wasn't optimized and was drawing a ridiculous amount of power to the graphics card.

1) Unreal Engine.
2) PGI

I actually had to install a new powerful graphics card to run the game, and then also a new power supply (from 600W to 700W) because the game kept crashing during high-intensity graphics scenes.

So yeah, I feel you.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:54 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 03 February 2020 - 10:54 PM, said:

The thing is, your CPU is going into turbo all the time, which means it's OCing constantly. You can disable turbo mode and your laptop will run significantly cooler. I'd still suggest a cooling pad, not only for the additional venting, but also for the improved airflow.

Yeap. The OP will need to look at either Cap/Reducing the game's max FPS (either via the game or GPU - setup a profile just for MW5) or disable turbo boost (layman overclocking). Try the 99% but you may need to drop it to 98% or 97%

https://www.tautvida...el-turbo-boost/

Also make sure dust build up is being removed/cleaned up.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 February 2020 - 03:55 AM.

#16 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:41 AM

I use throttlestop, a very useful tool.

#17 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:49 PM

MW5 when forced to 30fps for all different UI pages draws different electricity power wattage, which shows inefficient in it's respective page =

XFX SWFT 319 6900 XT with Ryzen 3800x

1440p Radeon CHILL down to 30fps then monitor GPU power consumption
115 watts at Cockpit of Leopard
90 watts at Battlemechs screen
60 watts at Starmap screen 【best results】
130 watts at Equipment screen
135 watts at Mech Market
75 watts at Barracks
200 watts at Operations 【no 3D objects worst offender】
150~170 watts at Hanger
200 watts at Ryana's Operation Room
170 watts at Sleep quarters

Why use so much power to produce a mere 30fps ???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users