35 replies to this topic

#1 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:48 AM

Would be nice to see an increase in Cold Storage capacity. I am out of room to store all my Hero mechs in addition to my various lances for missions.

#2 maxmarechal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 551 posts
  • Locationnext to you...Bro...

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:05 PM

add the possibility to sell mechs in cold storage and i'm IN....

#3 KopiG

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

Yes both are very welcome changes to the game I approve both of them.

#4 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:56 AM

Technically speaking, "cold storage" should not exist. The dropship holds 4 mechs total. So where does the second and third active lance go? Where is the cold storage physically?

This is why a home base planet would be nice.. to explain where the cold storage is..

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:41 AM

I guess this whole merc logistics part would make the game very unfun for most people, no matter how you turn it. Having a base of operations is nice and all, but you would always have to relocate there and couldn't roam freely through the inner sphere. Battletech has a nice solution for this with the Argo, but even that is a stretch.

#6 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:08 AM

I think that a combination of a home base with different Dropships could have been a solution. So you have your base where the cold storage is and salvaged mechs are send there first.

Then you have different sizes of dropships you can either rent or buy during the game. Giveing you the option to just use a Leo for a single mission or have a bigger one when you want to take more mechs with you for multi missions or if you want to do multiple mission in a given region.

Also make the homebase more attracktive by haveing lower repair prices, beeing faster, something along that line.
Maybe you could also send some of your pilots there for training?

#7 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:33 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 07 January 2020 - 12:56 AM, said:

Technically speaking, "cold storage" should not exist. The dropship holds 4 mechs total. So where does the second and third active lance go? Where is the cold storage physically?

This is why a home base planet would be nice.. to explain where the cold storage is..

The most common military BattleMech transport classes are the Leopard (one Lance: 4 'Mechs, 2 Fighters), the Union (one Company: 12 'Mechs, 2 Fighters) and the much rarer Overlord (one Battalion: 36 'Mechs, 6 Fighters); the most common Aerospace Fighter carrier is the Leopard CV class (one Squadron: 6 Fighters)

Edited by Necroconvict, 07 January 2020 - 05:37 AM.

#8 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:01 AM

Yah and from what you can put in cold storage even an Overlord would be put to shame ^_^

#9 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

This whole thingy is the reason, HBS came up with the Argo, a giant drop-ship that is incapable of landing (too big).

If they give us, say a Union, everyone would be screaming about not being able to field more than 4 mechs
If they give us a Leopard (as is the case), the question arises of how on Earth are all those active and inactive mechs stored in that small drop-ship?

As much as I like a game to stay to the lore, I have to side with PGI on this one. Using a Leopard and hand-waving away the storage problem is IMO the much better way than going with a larger drop-ship and hand-waving away the inability to field more mechs.

As for a planetary base, well, as has been mentioned, the traveling to and from would be a big problem.

P.s. Could we be given, say, a Behemoth to store all those mechs?
Sure, but that would feel a _lot_ like copying the Argo and I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

#10 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

Base Planet + mulitple Leopard Drop Ships would have been far better, from my perspective.

It would also have added to the longevity of the game.

Leopards should also be able to take and deal damage.

Edited by Appogee, 07 January 2020 - 08:49 AM.

#11 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:52 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 January 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

Base Planet + mulitple Leopard Drop Ships would have been far better, from my perspective.

It would also have added to the longevity of the game.

Leopards should also be able to take and deal damage.

I see the idea there... except then all travel would be related to that planet then wouldn't it? Couldn't do the run around the galaxy unless you kept stopping home? Just get some chains, and strap the extra mechs in space.. I hear it's pretty cold out there.

#12 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

View PostNecroconvict, on 07 January 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

I see the idea there... except then all travel would be related to that planet then wouldn't it? Couldn't do the run around the galaxy unless you kept stopping home? Just get some chains, and strap the extra mechs in space.. I hear it's pretty cold out there.

I just imagne a reverse reindeer sleigh where the sleight is the Leo and its pulling the mechs along on a long line ^_^

#13 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 07 January 2020 - 09:31 AM, said:

I just imagne a reverse reindeer sleigh where the sleight is the Leo and its pulling the mechs along on a long line Posted Image

They are just welded to the Hull to act as extra armor
(that would explain some Bugs where fully repaired Mechs are sent to storage and come out missing a limb)

#14 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

Ah so like Clams do with their Elementals.

#15 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

View PostNecroconvict, on 07 January 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

I see the idea there... except then all travel would be related to that planet then wouldn't it? Couldn't do the run around the galaxy unless you kept stopping home?

Nah, your dropships wth their complements of Mechs could go wherever they liked, redezvousing with your other dropships, and exchanging Mechs between them, as you wish.

If you want to keep a Mech you salvaged, and your current dropship is full, you'll need to buy another dropship, or swap it out with one of your existing Mechs.

So you'd have interesting choices to make along the way, but limitless capacity to build up a large nunber of Mechs and dropships over time.

The home base would only be a place to dump unlimited Mechs if you want to. In practice, I think you'd only use it during the initial phases of building up your force. In fact, you may even want to set up some empty 'companion' dropships purely to transport surplus Mechs back to your base.

Edited by Appogee, 07 January 2020 - 07:16 PM.

#16 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:08 AM

So you would put a bigger focus on the managment part of a Mercs unit? I kinda like that.

#17 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:10 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 January 2020 - 07:14 PM, said:

Nah, your dropships wth their complements of Mechs could go wherever they liked, redezvousing with your other dropships, and exchanging Mechs between them, as you wish.

If you want to keep a Mech you salvaged, and your current dropship is full, you'll need to buy another dropship, or swap it out with one of your existing Mechs.

So you'd have interesting choices to make along the way, but limitless capacity to build up a large nunber of Mechs and dropships over time.

The home base would only be a place to dump unlimited Mechs if you want to. In practice, I think you'd only use it during the initial phases of building up your force. In fact, you may even want to set up some empty 'companion' dropships purely to transport surplus Mechs back to your base.

That sounds cheap... buying drop ships, and paying to send them back and forth across the galaxy, and scheduling those trips to get the ship where I need it in time! I'll tell you this, I remember once, my father had a planet.. and then he died... it was very sad.

#18 Apocal43

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:07 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 07 January 2020 - 01:41 AM, said:

I guess this whole merc logistics part would make the game very unfun for most people, no matter how you turn it. Having a base of operations is nice and all, but you would always have to relocate there and couldn't roam freely through the inner sphere. Battletech has a nice solution for this with the Argo, but even that is a stretch.

They could just say you can purchase a Mule (hauler-type dropship) and store the inactive mechs as cargo. It would add a nice bit of player power expansion to add in a (slightly) more difficult financial game.

#19 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:29 AM

Sure, that would be an easy explanation. The Mule is well set-up for this.

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:23 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 07 January 2020 - 12:56 AM, said:

Its already breaks 1980 wrap hole sci-fi immersion with the current capacity, as you say 4 mech dropship carrying a battalion work of mechs in cold storage.

May as well make it unlimited
Or as big as technically feasible,
Suspension of disbelief in this particular regard is already broken so no biggie, make it unlimited I say.

For those into your lore so much can refrain from using this feature without penalizing others...Like hoarder/Collectors.
Muhahahaha Posted Image

Edit: Your dropship is actually made up of the mechs in cold storage and grows and shrinks in size according to the size of your cold storage collection.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 08 January 2020 - 03:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users