Long Live Mwo

76 replies to this topic

#61 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

Ah, such a sad state for a game that could have been much, much better ! Alas, even the forums are like listening to a ghost town of lost souls as the wind makes noises that were at one time screams of joy.....

#62 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:09 AM

Over 4k people are watching a stream of Frostpunk (a single player game) right now.

MWO has a old, fading but established population with some established streamers.

MW5 did an Epic exclusive release a couple months ago.

How about you compare MW5 week of release on Steam with MWO for example. It's just not a good gauge for popularity.

Wait until some big hitter mods come out and see then. Or a DLC release.

#63 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:47 AM

Big hitter mods will take some doing with how bad the released "modding tools" apparently are. There are definitely a few people trying to salvage it though.

Edited by Brauer, 21 January 2020 - 10:47 AM.

#64 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:51 PM

View PostBrauer, on 21 January 2020 - 10:47 AM, said:

Big hitter mods will take some doing with how bad the released "modding tools" apparently are. There are definitely a few people trying to salvage it though.

Just how bad are they? No wip videos? Steam work shop mods maybe? Or would the only hope be some one "leaking" the mw5 source code? Mods and steam support were the only reason I took notice of mw5 after how horrible pgi has done so little with mwo. At this point it seems the community should make their own open source unreal giant robot combat game.

#65 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 21 January 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

Just how bad are they? No wip videos? Steam work shop mods maybe? Or would the only hope be some one "leaking" the mw5 source code? Mods and steam support were the only reason I took notice of mw5 after how horrible pgi has done so little with mwo. At this point it seems the community should make their own open source unreal giant robot combat game.

I am not a modder so I don't know the full extent, but it sounds like numerous parts of the game are not easily moddable despite promises by PGI and that quality of life for modders is baaaaad because of the type of editor PGI shipped. If you check out the various discord servers for mwo and mw5 I am sure you can find more authoritative sources with more detail.

#66 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 21 January 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

PGI have released none of the scripts that are called when things are executed etc etc.

It extremely limits what actual modding can be done.

So yes there is modding. It is nothing like modding say Witcher 3, Skyrim or any other game that is encouraging modding. Hopefully during the AMA Russ does next week they explain when they are delivering the scrips. Because if they do not, modding and MW5 is only going to be a shallow-at-best scenario.

#67 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:11 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 January 2020 - 11:08 PM, said:

PGI have released none of the scripts that are called when things are executed etc etc.

It extremely limits what actual modding can be done.

So yes there is modding. It is nothing like modding say Witcher 3, Skyrim or any other game that is encouraging modding. Hopefully during the AMA Russ does next week they explain when they are delivering the scrips. Because if they do not, modding and MW5 is only going to be a shallow-at-best scenario.

Skyrim didn't get good modding tools for a long time and still isn't really better than what PGI provided. Witcher 3 mod tools are not any better. Both got a huge hand from player made tools and injectors to allow players to mod stuff that the official tools didn't allow.

So the big question will someone make an SKSE/Mod Kitchen/W3 Edit for MW5. I working on some big Warband mods and that had similar issues - some stuff wasn't possible in the modding tools but someone hacked a scripting tool you could use to do things the devs never intended.

I'm guessing probably. Watching the modding discord we've got some skilled people who are old hands from other platforms. Hopefully PGI releases more tools but even without it we'll get some homegrown scripting tools and custom GUIs to make the construction kit do stuff it wasn't inteded to do.

It just may take a year. So hopefully PGI makes DLC to keep the game interesting and fresh enough for long enough for modding to really get going.

#68 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:36 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 January 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

Skyrim didn't get good modding tools for a long time and still isn't really better than what PGI provided. Witcher 3 mod tools are not any better. Both got a huge hand from player made tools and injectors to allow players to mod stuff that the official tools didn't allow.

Yes. However, the files were provided and could be used.

It just wasn't easy at the start. It is non-existent here in this instance. What you can mod is a very basic/simple level.
All the in-depth stuff a large modding group I know had planned, they cannot implement one single thing of it because none of the called scripts are available. That is how the game is setup, they need to be provided if there is any hope of the Mods working.

#69 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 January 2020 - 03:36 AM, said:

Yes. However, the files were provided and could be used.

It just wasn't easy at the start. It is non-existent here in this instance. What you can mod is a very basic/simple level.
All the in-depth stuff a large modding group I know had planned, they cannot implement one single thing of it because none of the called scripts are available. That is how the game is setup, they need to be provided if there is any hope of the Mods working.

I get exactly what you're talking about. I'm just saying that we had the same issues with Warband, Skyrim and Witcher 3. Bethesda eventually released the Creation Kit update that gave us some (but not all) of what we need so the Script Extender got created (well, updated from the Oblivion Script Extender) and for Warband we just had some super dedicated people build literal scripting tools with associated UI elements to overlay, which is how you get stuff like custom knighthood orders in Prophecy of Pendor.

Yeah. We absolutely do need PGI to release better tools for injecting content into MW5, more hooks, etc. However even if they don't players can (and hopefully will) create the modding tools ourselves....

If the game is engaging enough and lasts long enough. Fortunately it's a pretty dedicated fandom with a lot of time. Yeah, it's crappy to say that the players need to create the tools that PGI implied we'd have. However this isn't our first exposure to grand promises and incomplete delivery.

Fortunately we're getting a complex Community Warfare system in MWO, just 90 days after MWO game comes out of beta! I know I'm pumped, how about you? Logistics, factions hiring mercenaries, information warfare, it'll be amazing. They showed us that presentation of it at MechCon. I hope you're as pumped to see it as I am!

#70 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

View PostB L O O D W I T C H, on 18 January 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

But red mechs go faster...

Does it work for Atlases too?

#71 GryHwk

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:59 AM

Walks up to PGI....knocks on the door....... looks in the window. Sees and empty room....with a big ...something in the middle of the darkened room...small lights flashing.... makes out letters on it.... W.O.P.R. I hear.. "Do you want to play a game?"

I have actually left the Word of Blake and I have become a "NASCARpharian".... We support the ever spinning circle of Life.....and believe in sacrificing the slow, wanna fight slackers that do not keep up spinning circle.... Hail our Holy place.....Daytona, Fla.!!!!! Long Live the Circle........!!!!

Edited by GryHwk, 26 January 2020 - 01:53 PM.

#72 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:40 AM

View PostAsym, on 21 January 2020 - 10:08 AM, said:

Ah, such a sad state for a game that could have been much, much better ! Alas, even the forums are like listening to a ghost town of lost souls as the wind makes noises that were at one time screams of joy.....

That's why I find the forums and their responses to the state of the game more fascinating than the game itself.

Posted Image

#73 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

modding wont bring back mwo or mw5 ... good mods take time to make... years ... mw5 has a few weeks left before its forgoten

PGI is out of money and out of options... mw5 was their ticked to redemption and they didnt deliver... basically mw5 is just mwo with a different hud... they shuld have focused on mwo and the only thing they did was milk the poor whales that were too dumb to realize they are being played with or had an addiction to buying certain things

what im gonna say is good bye mwo ... you had potential but sadly PGI went for the quick money grab and left you to slowly die off

i just dont understand why PGI is making games since they have no vision or passion for them... if money is all you care about ... buy some GPUs and go make a bitcoin farm

Edited by RePlayBoy101, 30 January 2020 - 02:11 PM.

#74 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 21 January 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

Posted Image

4:XX am EST

Usually from EU through US prime time there are 100-250 viewers, depending on the number of streamers

Posted Image

#75 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:00 AM

View PostNightbird, on 10 January 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

NASCAR is a perfectly good tactic in QP

Except that its not.

You are basically saying F the assaults on my team, I hope they have more assaults than we do so we win when we eat theirs.

#76 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

To impatient you were, young threadnecromancer. Not even a year old this one is.

#77 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:08 AM

View PostBelorion, on 06 October 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

Except that its not.

You are basically saying F the assaults on my team, I hope they have more assaults than we do so we win when we eat theirs.

Only bad assault pilots get eaten, and bad pilots get eaten no matter what you do. Good assault pilots either hold a defensive position or hide until the opportune time to engage, bad ones try to follow the fast mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users