Team Damage

17 replies to this topic

#1 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

Questions on team damage.

if a teammate shoots another it will always show as team damage in the end screen, correct?

A teammate accused me of shooting him in the arm in the drop zone Monday night and I know I did not fire and no team damage showed on the summary screen after the match, not individually or for the team.

I hate to be so touchy about this, but something happened to spoil a match for him and me and I would like to know that it was most likely resolved at the end of the match by the closing stats.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

I'm guessing that somebody else probably hit him and you were just the closest person to him, thus being the easiest to focus blame upon.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:32 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 13 January 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Questions on team damage.

Go ahead! Posted Image

if a teammate shoots another it will always show as team damage in the end screen, correct?

Correct. All damage that you did to friendly 'Mechs is shown in red.

A teammate accused me of shooting him in the arm in the drop zone Monday night and I know I did not fire and no team damage showed on the summary screen after the match, not individually or for the team.

Check these screenshots:

1) Small damage - friendly 'Mech scratched in the drop zone.
Posted Image

2) Moderate damage - somebody stepped in front of my 'Mech when I was firing.
Posted Image

3) Teamkill - I am very sorry (sometimes).
Posted Image

I hate to be so touchy about this, but something happened to spoil a match for him and me and I would like to know that it was most likely resolved at the end of the match by the closing stats.

Your closing stats always show what friendly damage you did in the game. If there were no red numbers, you did not damage his 'Mech.

#4 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:11 AM

Of course PGI could have done as world of tanks did, and eliminate friendly team damage altogether... thus eliminating team killers also in the process.

#5 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 14 January 2020 - 10:11 AM, said:

Of course PGI could have done as world of tanks did, and eliminate friendly team damage altogether... thus eliminating team killers also in the process.

but why do 'the easy way' when "the PGI way" works so well, right? .. ;)

guess that could be the answer-line in every 2nd PGI-related thread, though.

#6 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:23 AM

If you aren't doing team damage, you probably aren't doing enough damage.

Also; team damage fine as a mechanic. OBV you're too thin skinned to play the B mode on Double Dragon if you disagree.

#7 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 14 January 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

Also; team damage fine as a mechanic. OBV you're too thin skinned to play the B mode on Double Dragon if you disagree.

all true - and I'd really miss the fun moments when your TKing each other with your buddies in a match already won (mostly faction).
otoh it'd solve several cans of worms that pleague this game (aka trolls, baddies & their UNintentional and not-fun teamdamage).

personally, I think it's an accomplishment to do 431 teamdamage in a scouting-match with -1- arty and I dare anybody to beat that number Posted Image
then again, there are more than enough people doing that without the fun-intent, just by being .. bad.
that gone out of the game would mean baddies are still bad, but at least they didn't take half their team with em down the drain.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 14 January 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#8 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

Good to know. I snapped a cell photo of the closing screen and there was no team damage. My only guess is that someone on the other team was testing his laser and fired a golden BB from across the map. Must have had all the range nodes!

Even in my position as someone who DID TK someone a couple of weeks ago while trying to hit a Locust as it ran around a teammates legs, I would not want team damage removed, that would be wrong.

#9 A Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Alaska foaming at the mouth

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:35 PM

View PostNearly Dead, on 14 January 2020 - 05:05 PM, said:

Good to know. I snapped a cell photo of the closing screen and there was no team damage. My only guess is that someone on the other team was testing his laser and fired a golden BB from across the map. Must have had all the range nodes!

Even in my position as someone who DID TK someone a couple of weeks ago while trying to hit a Locust as it ran around a teammates legs, I would not want team damage removed, that would be wrong.

It should be removed, if you can get penalized for doing to much or out right ToS banned for it then why have it? Just a way for PGI to make money off people who end up TKing accidentally, getting spam reported by special snowflakes, losing their account and having to start all over. "Features" that end up being used, accidentally or otherwise shouldn't be punishable offenses, not even PGI can stop the inevitable drunken tard from running into an arty, a strike, or into someones alpha.

#10 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:46 PM

In 6ish years I've never heard of someone getting banned for an accidental TK. You have to do it a lot, and be obviously doing it on purpose. Otherwise it's just a mechanic to teach you situational awareness and improve your aim. If you're firing into your ally, you're not hitting the enemy either. The team damage just lets the teammate know that some idiot behind him can't shoot or open his eyes.

Sure, accidental TKs happen and suck, sure playing lights can be annoying once in a while when your team decides to play kickball with your mech, but really, it's a mild discomfort. If you play halfway decently, the only accidental team damage should be coming from bumps and scrapes and the occasional graze on an arm or back if someone moves into a firing path. Also it'd just plain be pretty stupid if you could shoot your teammates freely for no damage, makes no sense. That's a bit too much hand-holding for me.

#11 The Jewce Iz Loose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:05 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 14 January 2020 - 10:11 AM, said:

No no no, should be a tool we use more often. I'm all for team killing anyone from FAIT, HumbleDexter, and the select few who deserve it, no one in particular but they show themselves during the match or matches.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:13 AM

View PostA Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun, on 16 January 2020 - 11:35 PM, said:

It should be removed, if you can get penalized for doing to much or out right ToS banned for it then why have it? Just a way for PGI to make money off people who end up TKing accidentally, getting spam reported by special snowflakes, losing their account and having to start all over. "Features" that end up being used, accidentally or otherwise shouldn't be punishable offenses, not even PGI can stop the inevitable drunken tard from running into an arty, a strike, or into someones alpha.

I do not know about you, but my accidental team kills happen once a month or so and I think that the same is true for the majority of other regular MWO players. Those team kills have never had any other consequence for me than having to wait about ten seconds before dropping in the next match.

I have never heard about people being reported or banned for accidental team kills.

I think that the only people actually banned for team kills are trolls who register and take a Trial Mech. They kill one player in the drop zone and they are promptly killed off by the rest of the team after that. I remember that when the Daishi was a Trial 'Mech, such team kills happened sometimes.

Fortunately, since these trolls start in Tier 5 with their fresh account, I do not have to deal with them anymore.

#13 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:04 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 14 January 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

If you are doing team damage while doing damage it means that instead of properly spreading out and creating clear firing lines for everyone you pointlessly hug your teammates.

Look no further than the matches from the last WC. They show team damage stats (at least the ones that Ash casted). Most players will have 0-1 team damage, and the only team damage that comes there comes from careless strikes and not weapon fire. Thats the best players in the game, so you can't argue they aren't doing enough damage.

#14 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 359 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

View PostKodyn, on 16 January 2020 - 11:46 PM, said:

In 6ish years I've never heard of someone getting banned for an accidental TK. You have to do it a lot, and be obviously doing it on purpose.

There is an automatic banning System since Feb 2018. The beginning of your career is monitored: Too much TK`s and you are out.
No matter not if you do it on purpose or not.
It was implemented because of Account hopping Trolls who uploaded TK Vidz on youtube.

#15 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

View PostLord Sevenous, on 17 January 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

There is an automatic banning System since Feb 2018. The beginning of your career is monitored: Too much TK`s and you are out.
No matter not if you do it on purpose or not.
It was implemented because of Account hopping Trolls who uploaded TK Vidz on youtube.

Yeah, and you have to tick some severe boxes for that to activate. Prob also do it with a new account.

Some teamkills and a lot of team damage doesnt really bother an old account, except with the stupid timeouts. It should skip the penalties if you damage/kill people on your group.

#16 A Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Alaska foaming at the mouth

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

View PostKodyn, on 16 January 2020 - 11:46 PM, said:

In 6ish years I've never heard of someone getting banned for an accidental TK. You have to do it a lot, and be obviously doing it on purpose. Otherwise it's just a mechanic to teach you situational awareness and improve your aim. If you're firing into your ally, you're not hitting the enemy either. The team damage just lets the teammate know that some idiot behind him can't shoot or open his eyes.

Sure, accidental TKs happen and suck, sure playing lights can be annoying once in a while when your team decides to play kickball with your mech, but really, it's a mild discomfort. If you play halfway decently, the only accidental team damage should be coming from bumps and scrapes and the occasional graze on an arm or back if someone moves into a firing path. Also it'd just plain be pretty stupid if you could shoot your teammates freely for no damage, makes no sense. That's a bit too much hand-holding for me.

All it takes is the right group of special snowflakes, my roomie got a 48 hour ban because he accidentally killed someone from a specific clan that I won't name, who turned around and reported him every time they got the chance, wasn't his fault we get an average of 26~30ms ping while the person in question had a ping of 360~380ms.

#17 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:15 AM

View PostA Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun, on 17 January 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

All it takes is the right group of special snowflakes, my roomie got a 48 hour ban because he accidentally killed someone from a specific clan that I won't name, who turned around and reported him every time they got the chance, wasn't his fault we get an average of 26~30ms ping while the person in question had a ping of 360~380ms.

A very niche anecdotal scenario does not a common problem make. Trolls exist, screenshots exist, and if someone encountered a scenario such as you described, they can in turn report the situation, with attached screenshots. It's not a very good argument for the removal of team damage, sorry.

#18 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:35 AM

View PostA Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun, on 17 January 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

If such situation occurs, I think that the best course of action is to contact the support directly and tell them about the problem. Abusing the reporting system is an offense against the rules.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users