Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:39 AM

looking great !! Nice effects and sound

#3 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:12 AM

Love it! Very cool and exciting.
Now we just need some halfway skilled animators to make it so that any mech that isn’t an assault flies on its *** when firing the HG lol.

#4 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:01 AM

Would a Gauss actualy have any recoil?

#5 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:55 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 17 January 2020 - 02:01 AM, said:

You mean in real life I take it?
Sure
https://youtu.be/moptTasAkVQ
From 3:29

#6 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:52 AM

While there is a little differance between a Gauss and Railgun...from looking at the footage there is a recoil indeed but it looks very small and easy to compansate.

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 17 January 2020 - 05:52 AM, said:

While there is a little differance between a Gauss and Railgun...from looking at the footage there is a recoil indeed but it looks very small and easy to compansate.

Well, the canon is mounted to the floor. Assuming we talking about running robots, i'd say a bit more recoil would be appropriate.
Afaik, it's the magnetic force the projectile exerts on the rails (although small in force than the force the rails exert on the projectile)
Also friction between the rails and the projectile as well as air resistance.
Now, should a high damage flpd weapon have "screenshake" from a game-mechanically perspective is a different question.
Also.. rule of cool. It ain't that cool looking without knockback, fire and explosion, right?

#8 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:42 AM

From gamebalance and "rule of cool" point of view, yes that is indeed better.

Thinking about game balance, maybe the preload we have in MWO is a far better mechanic then the shacke afterwards.
I mean the preload needs some foresight and skill to apply right while the recoile afterwards is much easier to handle, espacialy when you build around that aspect that you won't fire any other weapons anyway AND the target you are more likely to hit will also have a hard time in that short timeframe as it is also shaken up by the impact. So when you do it right you won't even get fired back on while you wait for the compensation of the recoil to wear off.

#9 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 17 January 2020 - 02:01 AM, said:

You know that pesky little fellow named Newton?
His second and third laws of motion are quite unflexible when it comes to recoil.....

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

View PostLord Sevenous, on 17 January 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

You know that pesky little fellow named Newton?
His second and third laws of motion are quite unflexible when it comes to recoil.....

Newton's third law is quite flexible when it comes to the relationships between mass, energy and momentum under electromagnetic instances.
Electromagnetic instances such as.. a freaking huge railgun.
http://www-f1.ijs.si.../tekoca/EJP.pdf

Also, this describes the physics behind it.
www.kimerius.com/app/download/5784337080/Recoil%2Bin%2Belectromagnetic%2Brailguns.pdf

Edited by B L O O D W I T C H, 17 January 2020 - 10:41 AM.

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

Gauss Rifles have recoil.

It doesn't make sense for that recoil to be transferred into the pilot in a huge robot with a gigantic gyroscope, servos, etc.

#12 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

Most likely the gun itself would be build with some mechanics to dampen recoil as much as possible allready, then add to it the gyro, servos and myomers and what the pilot gets as feedback is most likely the muzzle flash and very little recoil. Most likely nothing more then the normal shake you get from walking.

Still for player feedback its a very nice, easy way of telling "You just fired a big gun"

#13 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:11 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 17 January 2020 - 10:31 AM, said:

Most likely the gun itself would be build with some mechanics to dampen recoil as much as possible allready,

There wouldn't be much recoil.
The driving force is a magnetic field. That field itself is a byproduct of transferring electrical energy into thermal energy.
There is no primary recoil like in a riflle only secondary recoil from compressed air in the barrel (what the projectile is pushing out of the way).

Realistically, a railgun would produce very little recoil. Fired in a vacuum it would produce no recoil at all.
It would however produce a massive amount of heat due to the instant energy transfer (inside the capacitors, not the barrel).

#14 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:27 AM

View PostB L O O D W I T C H, on 17 January 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

Newton's third law is quite flexible when it comes to the relationships between mass, energy and momentum under electromagnetic instances.
Electromagnetic instances such as.. a freaking huge railgun.
http://www-f1.ijs.si.../tekoca/EJP.pdf

Also, this describes the physics behind it.
www.kimerius.com/app/download/5784337080/Recoil%2Bin%2Belectromagnetic%2Brailguns.pdf

Well to the first Link: Very small things don`t behave like big things. Thats a conundrum our Physicists are still wrangling with so a Mech sized Gauss slug will not behave like a elektromagnetic wave or a charged particle.

And to the second Link: It states clearly that Coil Guns HAVE a recoil BUT if you build it right it can be managable.

View PostB L O O D W I T C H, on 17 January 2020 - 11:11 AM, said:

Fired in a vacuum it would produce no recoil at all.
It would however produce a massive amount of heat due to the instant energy transfer (inside the capacitors, not the barrel).

And that is just wrong!

The primary recoil can`t be fully negated

https://iopscience.i...2-3727/20/3/023

Edited by Lord Sevenous, 17 January 2020 - 11:43 AM.

#15 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

Sigh...it was not my intention to ignite a debate on the technicalities of gauss rifles, a fictional weapon that does not exist.
it was mostly in jest.
It can go either way honestly, depending on your rational.
Let’s use the warhammer for example; It’s chassis could be by design perfectly capable of compensating for standard gauss. Throw in a Heavy Gauss on the other hand and it’s dampeners are not enough to compensate for the massive recoil.
Despite the strength of made up logic, since MWO already lets you throw a heavy gauss on a frickin locust this will not go far with those that think otherwise.

TLDR-recoil compensation systems are built into the mech not the gun. If the gun is bigger than what the mech is designed for, there should be some funny kick.

#16 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

View PostLord Sevenous, on 17 January 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

And that is just wrong!

Yes, right! I should have specified that "Fired in a vacuum it would produce no SECONDARY recoil at all."

#17 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 17 January 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

Sigh...it was not my intention to ignite a debate on the technicalities of gauss rifles, a fictional weapon that does not exist.
it was mostly in jest.
It can go either way honestly, depending on your rational.
Let’s use the warhammer for example; It’s chassis could be by design perfectly capable of compensating for standard gauss. Throw in a Heavy Gauss on the other hand and it’s dampeners are not enough to compensate for the massive recoil.
Despite the strength of made up logic, since MWO already lets you throw a heavy gauss on a frickin locust this will not go far with those that think otherwise.

TLDR-recoil compensation systems are built into the mech not the gun. If the gun is bigger than what the mech is designed for, there should be some funny kick.

Well isn't that in part why MW5s sized hard points make sense? Some mechs are not designed to use all weapons but specific ones.

#18 Drenzul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

Ok to end this debate.

Yes, Gauss weapons produce exactly the same amount of recoil as any other weapon.

The recoil is however easier to control as it is a constant force where as the recoil
from a conventional firearm is concentrated almost entirely at the moment of explosion,
and tails off quickly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users