Black Lanners: They Don't Seem Very Good

36 replies to this topic

#1 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:08 AM

I have a Black Lanner Belenarous. I really want to like this mech, but at 55 tons, it feels as fragile as a light, but with the hit boxes of a heavy.

It has speed but it doesn't feel as agile as it should be.

The Omnis are set up for 6x machine guns. Machine guns aren't duck and weave weapons and its not as easy to sneak up with this thing like in a Locust or a even a Wolfhound.

If I 2nd line with it, I usually get singled out and die. If I try and harrass on the flanks, I usually get LRMed or legged easily while trying to get away. Despite the ECMs.

If I to the long route and try and get up from behind and find a soft target, I'm usually waiting to long to be supportive to the team or I'm going toe-to-toe with something like a Balckjack and they seem to out gun me despite the firepower saying 68.

Loadout that I've settled on with the best results are 2x SRM 6, Heavy ML, 2x HMGs, 4x MGs.

I'm starting to think this is not a good mech.

#2 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:12 AM

Yeah, it's not a very mech, not enough free tonnage for good weapons.

#3 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:15 AM

I'm wondering if its worth while pursuing more time in it to train to be a better pilot. The best I can muster is like 450 damage, but that includes arties.

#4 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:40 AM

View Post_Magno_, on 28 January 2020 - 03:15 AM, said:

I'm wondering if its worth while pursuing more time in it to train to be a better pilot. The best I can muster is like 450 damage, but that includes arties.

Better off playing another mech, unless you're in love with Black Lanners for some reason.

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:51 AM

Best thing it does is run like a big but worse PIR.

Just get a PIR.

#6 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:52 AM

Just pushing the idea of, "Good p[pilots do well in any mech".

#7 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:53 AM

There are some mechs that are objectively terrible. It isn't worth it to train in a Lanner, IMO.

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:02 AM

View Post_Magno_, on 28 January 2020 - 03:52 AM, said:

Just pushing the idea of, "Good p[pilots do well in any mech".

A good pilot can do "well enough" in a bad mech, but it's still not fun to play said mech.

#9 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:41 AM

-the lanner looks great :)

-sadly, it is just the "hard mode" of QP. if there's anything positive about its performance, it's that it punishes you extra-hard for screwing up.. kind of a way to teach you your errors.
but yeah, that's about it. you can do still well in a BL - it's just harder than in other mechs to do so.

btw: that thing had it's niche uses in scouting, but since Paul in his infinite wisdom mashed that into FP, that is gone ..
I miss scouting :(

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:44 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 28 January 2020 - 04:41 AM, said:

-the lanner looks great :)

-sadly, it is just the "hard mode" of QP. if there's anything positive about its performance, it's that it punishes you extra-hard for screwing up.. kind of a way to teach you your errors.
but yeah, that's about it. you can do still well in a BL - it's just harder than in other mechs to do so.

btw: that thing had it's niche uses in scouting, but since Paul in his infinite wisdom mashed that into FP, that is gone ..
I miss scouting :(

Aah yes, Scouting. That was the game mode where you brought your VGL-A with LB20X and SRM 6s and made fun of all the people who didn't by murdering them.

#11 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:55 AM

Lanners are indeed difficult and not generally good in QP. As mentioned above it had a niche use (55 ton brawler, fast enough to prevent lights from escaping) in a very niche mode (FW Scouting). Being that it was the max tonnage for that mode it could work ok there, as it had decent armor and agility for that mode. Plus only 4 enemy mechs at a time could shoot at it. In 12v12 mode, it’s life expectancy is generally shorter than other mechs as it needs to boat light short range weapons to have any firepower at all and you with more and larger enemies to fire at you you aren’t going to last long close in. Good pilots can make anything work, but this is a tough mech to learn the game in,

#12 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 28 January 2020 - 06:44 AM, said:

Aah yes, Scouting. That was the game mode where you brought your VGL-A with LB20X and SRM 6s and made fun of all the people who didn't by murdering them.

a fun mech there, true. still murdered plenty of those, so I don't see where you're going with this;
if you truely think that thing is OP.. sorry, but I'll happily show you some IS-mechs that munch it for breakfast ;)

#13 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 28 January 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

Lanners are indeed difficult and not generally good in QP. As mentioned above it had a niche use (55 ton brawler, fast enough to prevent lights from escaping) in a very niche mode (FW Scouting). Being that it was the max tonnage for that mode it could work ok there, as it had decent armor and agility for that mode. Plus only 4 enemy mechs at a time could shoot at it. In 12v12 mode, it’s life expectancy is generally shorter than other mechs as it needs to boat light short range weapons to have any firepower at all and you with more and larger enemies to fire at you you aren’t going to last long close in. Good pilots can make anything work, but this is a tough mech to learn the game in,

I want my scouting back... :(

could be the one mode that'd bring me back to the game; FW half a year ago was organised "lets hide it out and play it safe, cause the others have a group...." while we had a group of our own. Posted Image
very, very timid play, even when clearly upper-handed, with very little fun to be had.

and QP .. even the most stubborn hamster can run in his wheel only so long.. :(

#14 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

It's an armored scout that sacrifices weapons for speed . Combat is not its primary function . Its great for the nascar races .

Play it like a light mech and you will be fine ............And yes it is the worst clan mech ever.

Edited by DarkFhoenix, 28 January 2020 - 08:50 AM.

#15 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:14 AM

This is how you play a Black Lanner:

The objective is to never be the center of attention, and use your speed to your advantage.

#16 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:17 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 28 January 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

It's an armored scout that sacrifices weapons for speed . Combat is not its primary function . Its great for the nascar races .

Play it like a light mech and you will be fine ............And yes it is the worst clan mech ever.

Worse than the Viper?

#17 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:32 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 28 January 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

Idk....there are a few contenders for worst clan mech ever. It’s probably amongst them, but isn’t my least favorite chassis. I think “bad mechs” (like the Lanner is in QP) are for the most part generally accepted as bad, but “worst mech” is a matter of personal taste from amongst that group.

#18 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:39 AM

It's been a long time since I played but I used to run mine with one HLL in the "big gun" right arm and then two HMLs in the smaller left arm as well as one more HML in the left torso. Rest of the tonnage into heat sinks or even an AMS if I felt like it. I managed to do pretty well with that setup but it was definitely one of my more challenging rides.

#19 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

Honestly if you're looking at a really fast clan medium with mgs and close range lasers might as well use the viper, at least its smaller, crazy agile, can jump like half the map and uses less tonnage in fp

I just can't see anything good about the lanner other than it looks cool

#20 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:45 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 28 January 2020 - 09:53 AM, said:

Honestly if you're looking at a really fast clan medium with mgs and close range lasers might as well use the viper, at least its smaller, crazy agile, can jump like half the map and uses less tonnage in fp

I just can't see anything good about the lanner other than it looks cool

well, build one with all the small lasers, srms, mgs and flamers in the world, then go and brawl somebody in the face with it.
yeah, it will suck in QP / FW
but it's a fun ride while it lasts Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 28 January 2020 - 10:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users