Airstrikes And Arties Screwing With You

15 replies to this topic

#1 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

What is the hidden use of airstrikes and arties?

Many times the match begins, the airstike or artey is charging. Its ready, I crest a hill on a targeted enemy, go to press the consumable button and the freaking thing goes back to recharging.

????

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:02 AM

View Post_Magno_, on 29 January 2020 - 07:58 AM, said:

What is the hidden use of airstrikes and arties?

Many times the match begins, the airstike or artey is charging. Its ready, I crest a hill on a targeted enemy, go to press the consumable button and the freaking thing goes back to recharging.

????

There is a rule that only one artillery or aistrike can be used in a time with a certain delay between those strikes.

To put it simply, somebody on your team used his strike just a few seconds earlier than you intended to use yours.

#3 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Ok. Is there a way to know that someone just used theirs? Because its awful annoying commiting to an angle to place one knowing you'll take some damage but planning to either slow the enemy down or corral them. Had a game where I attempted it 3 times and each time the artey strike didn't go down but I took sufficient CT damage to be crippled and easily targeted a minute later.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

Don't use strikes are a weapon where you use up armor to trade with. It's a support item for when the enemy is hiding behind cover and you can use without risk or a bonus when you're using your other weapons and leave the smoke as an extra.

#5 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:54 AM

View Post_Magno_, on 29 January 2020 - 08:34 AM, said:

Ok. Is there a way to know that someone just used theirs? Because its awful annoying commiting to an angle to place one knowing you'll take some damage but planning to either slow the enemy down or corral them. Had a game where I attempted it 3 times and each time the artey strike didn't go down but I took sufficient CT damage to be crippled and easily targeted a minute later.

Place Artys/Airstrikes as Bonus. Dont use it as Primary damage source and you have avoided the problem.

#6 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:54 AM

there is;
there's a cooldown-thingie over your arty/strike once your teammates use one. it doesn't help a lot during 'executing' you strike, but the moment you think "man, that tasty group of blues reds needs an arty (personally, I aim them at imaginary space squirrel homes I don't want the red team to step on..), maybe I should .." - look up upon your strike-symbols.

again: doesn't help a lot, but the best thing you got. other than that: mash your arty button A LOT the moment you wanna drop it.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 29 January 2020 - 08:57 AM.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:13 AM

Ok. Is there a way to know that someone just used theirs?

Yes, there are two ways:

1) You can see it with your own eyes.

2) Watch the artillery recharge bar. If you see that it suddenly starts to recharge - well, somebody just used his arty.

Because its awful annoying commiting to an angle to place one knowing you'll take some damage but planning to either slow the enemy down or corral them. Had a game where I attempted it 3 times and each time the artey strike didn't go down but I took sufficient CT damage to be crippled and easily targeted a minute later.

I know how you feel, but there is nothing what you can do with it.

#8 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:29 AM

There should be a more obvious announcement when a player from your team uses a shared cooldown. E.g. Radio chatter announcing incoming strike or something. Alas instead you get the very real chance that somebody drops a strike a split second before you do, giving the impression that your strike activated with no effect. Just another amazing game design decision by the kings and queens of amazing game design decisions.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:27 PM

Do you want to know what really annoys me?

When I am going to drop my augmented artillery strike (additional guns, longer duration) on 10 more-or-less stationary enemy 'Mechs, only to see that "somebody" wasted the team's strike on some Flea that is running full tilt and that will be one kilometre away in the moment when that damned strike finally arrives.

And when I am waiting for the artillery bar to recycle, that magnificent opportunity passes.

Do you have a similar experience?

#10 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 January 2020 - 12:27 PM, said:

When I am going to drop my augmented artillery strike (additional guns, longer duration) on 10 more-or-less stationary enemy 'Mechs, only to see that "somebody" wasted the team's strike on some Flea that is running full tilt and that will be one kilometre away in the moment when that damned strike finally arrives.

And when I am waiting for the artillery bar to recycle, that magnificent opportunity passes.

More than I care to remember ... so over 9000
^^

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

View Postmartian, on 29 January 2020 - 12:27 PM, said:

Of course! I've started saving them now for later, there's less chance someone will nick it. You won't be wacking the entire team but maybe you can convince the reds to take the long way around by planting the smoke where you don't want them to be going right now.

Edited by RickySpanish, 29 January 2020 - 12:54 PM.

#12 Wild_Alaskan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 159 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 29 January 2020 - 12:52 PM, said:

maybe you can convince the reds to take the long way around by planting the smoke where you don't want them to be going right now.

This. When I'm running a slower mech and being followed by reds, I'll sometimes drop a strike in their path to discourage their pursuit and buy myself an extra couple of seconds to get away.

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

Ok. Is there a way to know that someone just used theirs?

When it becomes unavailable, you know. That timer means someone used theirs, it will not be on cooldown if no-one uses one.

Given QP matches these days last 2-3mins max - sometimes it is not even possible to get off two strikes if half a dozen people have them.

Had a game where I attempted it 3 times and each time the artey strike didn't go down but I took sufficient CT damage to be crippled and easily targeted a minute later.

That is called bad trading. Just exposing to drop a strike is quite simply the worst practice. You should only be exposing to fire your weapons and, if opportunity presents, use the strike if it's available.

Never expose just to strike.

#14 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

Had a game where I attempted it 3 times and each time the artey strike didn't go down but I took sufficient CT damage to be crippled and easily targeted a minute later.

I learnt that the hard way back when I was in T3. I was leveling up the Jade Kite and Vanguard (both dakka) and I was constantly trying to use arty first instead of bashing my mouse buttons to dakka the enemies and was doing badly. Then, one day I figured why not use my weapons from safety and intimidate the enemies first and as just they are trying to fall back into cover, just plant the arty strike on top of the cover that they're using or just behind them as they back away. That worked wonders. Of course, you'll have to be fast enough to do that since QP matches don't last that long and they're always like a whirlpool.

#15 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

Just do this with it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users