57 replies to this topic

#41 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:42 PM

I saw some folk trying this out in s7, you need some serious skill to avoid getting xl checked. Do people really aim for the legs more than torsos on the Wolverine? Or are the side torsos thin? I'm puzzling over the ammo allocation but obviously there is a reason. It also seems unreasonably agile, how does it compare to the Dervish Frenzy? Are you taking suggestions for underplayed Heavy 'Mechs Derek? May I suggest the Chironex? =)

#42 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:05 AM

The Wolverine 7K is my go to mech when I need 500 score in an event challenge. I really don’t know why it works so well. Perhaps it just fits my playstyle more than other more meta mechs.

I disliked it initially after I bought it and had some terrible games in it. Only after fully skilling it and fiddling with the build it suddenly started to work. My build is different than the OPs.

#43 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:21 AM

In Yolo Que ammo in legs might be better. Once people realise, a mech got more hitboxes than just ct, ammo in the legs is a bad idea for medium and lights. If u got victim of a ammo crit with IS XL you are dead anyway (damage transfer).

The reason why the wolverine feels so good is a. mobility!!!! b. great offensive quirks.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 02 February 2020 - 03:22 AM.

#44 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:44 AM

For those that have the WVR 7D (limited) what you think about that one ? It was gathering dust for years but gives me lots of fun recently to my surprise. Loadout :
xl295 engine (speed is 93.4 with full skilltree); primary weapon mrm 40; secundary 2xhmg and 1 mpl for close encounter backup; 5 jumpjets (crucial item), mk I targeting comp and ams. I got rid of the masc III, probably that was helpfull.

Edited by Inatu Elimor, 02 February 2020 - 03:49 AM.

#45 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:07 AM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 02 February 2020 - 03:44 AM, said:

For those that have the WVR 7D (limited) what you think about that one ? It was gathering dust for years but gives me lots of fun recently to my surprise. Loadout :
xl295 engine (speed is 93.4 with full skilltree); primary weapon mrm 40; secundary 2xhmg and 1 mpl for close encounter backup; 5 jumpjets (crucial item), mk I targeting comp and ams. I got rid of the masc III, probably that was helpfull.

Or you could just run it a decent way?

WVR-7D

And dont waste skill maze points on speed tweak for a Med, its generally a mega waste of points on anything that isn't 120km/h base or faster.

#46 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:27 AM

No decent way, no, just having fun with it. Will try yours though.

#47 n00biwan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomerset, UK...

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:23 AM

I've got basically the same build on my 7D, a little slower than yours.

7D has nice missile quirks because it wasn't touched since before MRM was added and the quirk balance has SRM in mind, and only a maniac would put LRM in a 55t MASC mech...

#48 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:55 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 01 February 2020 - 07:42 PM, said:

I saw some folk trying this out in s7, you need some serious skill to avoid getting xl checked. Do people really aim for the legs more than torsos on the Wolverine? Or are the side torsos thin? I'm puzzling over the ammo allocation but obviously there is a reason. It also seems unreasonably agile, how does it compare to the Dervish Frenzy? Are you taking suggestions for underplayed Heavy 'Mechs Derek? May I suggest the Chironex? =)

From the 2017 patch in September, supposedly the wolverine died more to CT shots than anything, but I suspect this has changed since the structure boost to CT.

Honestly I died more to ST than CT in most scenarios, since the ST are very fragile and can fall apart fairly easily if you aren't careful or reckless.

Posted Image

The beauty of this mech is the symmetrical hitboxes; and since it has a humanoid shape, coupled with arms being on level with side torso hitboxes, you can shield all the damage into your arms.

Now here's the placement of the SRM mounts on the mech for the 7K;

Posted Image

Not only is it all level with the cockpit, but the srm packs are mounted vertically, meaning that the spread of missiles is even more tighter and geared for hitting targets more precise. A con with it though comes with hitting specific light mechs legs, but this can be mitigated if you aim appropriately.

There is also a factor of broken jump jet animations, which makes it difficult to aim for jump jets when tapping the button for them. Ammo has been placed in side torsos, simply because the mech is an XL mech. does it really matter if you place ammo in your side torsos if you're going to die anyways if you lose it?

I already have my next totem srm brawl heavy mech, suggested to others by me.

#49 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

There's another thing I'd like to add;

If you're new to the loadout, or to the playstyle of brawl, I recommend using a LFE to help mitigate mistakes and learn the loadout and mechs playstyle in quickplay. It can be very unforgiving if you often lose side torsos early on with my loadout.

https://mech.nav-alp...51764cae_WVR-7K

It may be slower, but it will definitely give you more survival within the chassis, and with more arm armor to work with as well. If you like the LFE, stick with it, the XL is just to give the mech the speed to flank and maneuver through the fights with as little damage as possible.

Edited by Scout Derek, 10 February 2020 - 08:25 AM.

#50 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:27 AM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 02 February 2020 - 03:44 AM, said:

Nah, I run a UAC2 +UAC5 and play like a smaller Dragon 5N.

*The other build I like is MRM30 + 20. Laser is optional, but MGs just seem like a waste of tonnage.

Edited by Kubernetes, 02 February 2020 - 11:01 AM.

#51 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 02 February 2020 - 09:55 AM, said:

*handy info*

Cheers for the explanation!

#52 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:05 PM

Wow, great month Scout. That's a phenomenal run out of a 55t mech.

The SRM build vs MRMs is good because you can poptart (splattart?) with it and you can shoot-twist-shoot to protect the torsos. Sure, a couple maps suck with it I'm sure but that's true of almost every build.

I say that as someone who's loved MRMs since before loving MRMs was cool. SRM Splatverine in the hands of someone good with twisting and mobility is tanky (for a medium), flexible and will put 40pts almost all on a single location pretty consistently and for about the same heat as 3 medium lasers and (with quirks) about 12 DPS.

MRMs on a Catapult C4 or MAD 5D though? Always a blast.

#53 Chortles

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:13 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 01 February 2020 - 07:42 PM, said:

I went against Scout a few times in Solaris and aiming for the legs was ideal because of the speed of our mechs and his ability to torso twist. Putting ammo away from the legs was the correct decision. Quickplay is a different story however.

#54 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:52 PM

Honestly, its not surprising at all. Wolverines were always strong, and missile mounts are pretty damn perfectly placed. Plus a pilot I know knows how to brawl well and aim those SRMs. Pretty much the kind of stats I'd expect from Derek.

Still surprised to see stuff like 4 JJs and AMS tbh. I know for a fact that 5t of ammo isn't enough for me to carry a full bag of potatoes in way too many matches. Better aim and less wasted missiles I guess.

#55 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:07 AM

@Scout Derek

Taking this thing in Solaris Div 5, trimmed ammo to 2.5 tons and upped engine speed to maximum. Very solid performer.

#56 Soedrin

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 68 posts
  • Locationbehind you...

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:03 AM

the "pro" tag on ScoutDerek seems more appropriate here than it did for some in that match score thread.

in this case "pro" indicates excellent play & build, true community (sharing his results and build for the sake of sharing, not bragging, not shaming...just for the fun) and calm, level responses to the rack of "the beer is half empty" naysayers.

#57 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:56 AM

Tried the build
Thank you
Iz a Beast, could say things about the current environment the mech revealed but its maintenance.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 12 March 2020 - 04:59 AM.

#58 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:45 AM

Man I used to love the Wubverine when it could pack 3 pulse in the fist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users