53 replies to this topic

#21 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

What would it take for Instant Action GQ to be limited to 4-man and let solos to opt into both Solo and GQ all the time, so that solo and GQ will be active? Furthermore, people like me can get to play in all groups as a solo instead of joining one for the whole day.

#22 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

View Postn00biwan, on 03 February 2020 - 03:58 AM, said:

Wait, if what's waiting in GQ is EMP, where is the motivation to join for 90% of players? Almost a guaranteed loss unless it's meme night or something and they're all running 12 TAG novas..It'll be like when certain teams empty the fp queue.Posted Image

Serisouly though, it sucks to be a middling unit and always be on the losing side, just sayin. In FP we've ground our noses into evil brick walls enough times, but in FP at least you know that your sacrifice means some other drop didn't get EVIL/MS/42/(insert name of powerful old school CW merc unit here) on theirs. Maybe I should have joined MS, after Tuk 1 lol, perchance I'd feel differently in this discussion. Not saying I don't like a challenge, but there's challenge and ridiculous.

Higher population dropping in GQ ofc would mitigate the problem, does GQ even have a MM to put the better teams vs one another if there are enough ppl in Q for it to chose?

Community led action to raise participation? PGI aren't gonna promote the GQ, and if they made an event that was "while in GQ do XXX" it would be just like normal QP events but worse since it would be a few organised teams vs lfg pugs looking for ticks in boxes. Crappy experience all round.

Actually, remembering Tuk1 and how MS handled that (they opened their TS, invited everyone and led huge numbers of mixed unit drops, obviously inviting to the unit anyone who qualifies and wants to join after) gives me an idea, players that want to group queue set up and lead teams of people that want to play QP "better" and sync drop vs one another, you get to have better games and teach people along the way, hopefully increasing the skill of players who want to learn, increasing engagement with both the game and the community.

Could do that in GQ and a discord 100x better. Just need an updated 'Church of Skill'. I'm telling you, sync dropping is the next bomb to drop. The moment the 99% feels (emphasis on that word because it's all that matters) like QP isn't 'fair' for them anymore that's going to unravel another big population segment. Do that less, not more.

#23 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:46 AM

Idk why people would even care about syncing in solo QP at the point in the game we are. No guarantees you are in same side, no guarantees you get in same match even and it helps population (which is low) so matches happen quicker.

People who sync are obviously glad to fight with or against their friends (always fun to dust a buddy). Nothing to see here..

#24 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:30 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 03 February 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

Idk why people would even care about syncing in solo QP at the point in the game we are. No guarantees you are in same side, no guarantees you get in same match even and it helps population (which is low) so matches happen quicker.

People who sync are obviously glad to fight with or against their friends (always fun to dust a buddy). Nothing to see here..

I know I for one don't care or mind. Even back when GQ was alive, it was still often slow for a 2-man, so my buddy and I would attempt to sync- and we'd enjoy facing each other just as much as winding up on the same team. As for the issue of running into competent sync droppers nowadays, it doesn't really bother me. If I see certain names even alone, I usually know how a match will go regardless of whether they have backup. I'll still play my best and if I die young, spend the match spectating and trying to learn something. That's not going to change whether I see Ash alone or something like 4-5 EMP on the other side.

There're enough really decent players left, and enough potatoes left that there's always going to be rolls when one side has a few more of those better players- regardless of sync dropping. I really don't think it has any measurable impact on the quality of life for us lowly pugs in QP queue.

#25 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

wait times are certainly a huge buzzkill for me.

#26 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:09 PM

View PostKodyn, on 03 February 2020 - 11:30 AM, said:

I know I for one don't care or mind. Even back when GQ was alive, it was still often slow for a 2-man, so my buddy and I would attempt to sync- and we'd enjoy facing each other just as much as winding up on the same team. As for the issue of running into competent sync droppers nowadays, it doesn't really bother me. If I see certain names even alone, I usually know how a match will go regardless of whether they have backup. I'll still play my best and if I die young, spend the match spectating and trying to learn something. That's not going to change whether I see Ash alone or something like 4-5 EMP on the other side.

There're enough really decent players left, and enough potatoes left that there's always going to be rolls when one side has a few more of those better players- regardless of sync dropping. I really don't think it has any measurable impact on the quality of life for us lowly pugs in QP queue.

It always makes me laugh just how much people crap their daks when they see me.

I mean I know I have a large impact on most games I play and I win far more often than I lose... But often I have friends on the other teams and they always telling me that "xxx was going bananas that you were on the other side"...

Funny that it overlaps to the same misinformation spreading users on the forum too at times. Guess they really do get full triggered by being called out on lie and incorrect statements as well as high skill gameplay.

Equally funny how often I get 'dived' by said players too. Of course they get totally dunked on, but it's funny, they must be going fo that "GOTTEEEEMMM" moment to make themselves feel good or something.

#27 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 03 February 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

i really wanna join ismo

join ismo

#28 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:26 PM

View PostJ a y, on 03 February 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

join ismo

We can kick Ash again so he can meme his dream.

#29 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:49 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 02 February 2020 - 10:30 PM, said:

ok what can be done to turn things around

it was mentioned some type of counters

so to turn things around

1) from Vxheous
"If people stopped sync dropping 95% of the time (outside of NA group queue fridays), group queue wouldn't be dead. That said, if they were to add a Solaris timer to group queue, and gave us a population counter, it might help get a couple games going again."

2)from Fragtastic

"What would it take for Instant Action GQ to be limited to 4-man and let solos to opt into both Solo and GQ all the time, so that solo and GQ will be active? Furthermore, people like me can get to play in all groups as a solo instead of joining one for the whole day."

Edited by Davegt27, 03 February 2020 - 10:50 PM.

#30 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:37 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 03 February 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

It always makes me laugh just how much people crap their daks when they see me.

I mean I know I have a large impact on most games I play and I win far more often than I lose... But often I have friends on the other teams and they always telling me that "xxx was going bananas that you were on the other side"...

Funny that it overlaps to the same misinformation spreading users on the forum too at times. Guess they really do get full triggered by being called out on lie and incorrect statements as well as high skill gameplay.

Equally funny how often I get 'dived' by said players too. Of course they get totally dunked on, but it's funny, they must be going fo that "GOTTEEEEMMM" moment to make themselves feel good or something.

It's irritating when it's the people on your team however...I know I'm going to lose when I see you because half my team will do just as you said and pretty much either give up from the start or spend the match trying to kill you and failing. I just try not to play any worse than usual when I see better players, but it's hard to offset teams reacting like that to names and tags, so those matches are often the ones where I do the worst because I can never figure out what the team is trying to do, and neither can they Posted Image .

If people were to just play their best and attempt to enjoy themselves in any given match, no matter the opponent, I feel like they'd have less issue with stomps and let the psychological stuff have less effect on their performance. A stomp in either direction is over fast, after all, then you move on.

#31 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:57 AM

I know that feeling,saw Vxheous on the opposing team lastnight and yeah I thought it was going to be for sure stomp for the red team, but luckily as it turned out he disco’d and we kicked butt( well my team did not me I am just a potato). But yeah usually any game I have played in that has an Emp player in it which ever team they are on usually wins.(just want to say that slipngriff character is pretty friggin awesome playing light mechs)

#32 Thiccacuga

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:15 PM

I'm just waiting for this game to die off so I have a reason to try out MWLL.

#33 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:17 PM

has anyone ever done any polls as to why people dont like some mode or feature in the game

it might be to late for surveys or polls
but I thought I would ask

#34 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:20 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 04 February 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

has anyone ever done any polls as to why people dont like some mode or feature in the game

it might be to late for surveys or polls
but I thought I would ask

Pgi took away that "feature." You can still google old topics with mwo and find results of ye olden times. Or just read the old threads like the two year long battle to get the catapult models fixed when pgi screwed them up during the "vcr ears" era. That thread remains the longest thread on mwo about a single mech chassis.

#35 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:00 AM

View PostRed Potato Standing By, on 04 February 2020 - 06:57 AM, said:

I know that feeling,saw Vxheous on the opposing team lastnight and yeah I thought it was going to be for sure stomp for the red team, but luckily as it turned out he disco’d and we kicked butt( well my team did not me I am just a potato). But yeah usually any game I have played in that has an Emp player in it which ever team they are on usually wins.(just want to say that slipngriff character is pretty friggin awesome playing light mechs)

I might have been in that match with you, if it was on Canyon Network. Had a game against Vxheous that night, figured it would be a tough game or even a loss. I just tried to play my usual game, aggressive but smart. Used a Grasshopper 5H with HPPCs, poptarting and nailing those I could while both teams NASCARed slowly. I saw Vxheous in the Corsair, knew I'd better be careful and only expose myself long enough to fire the HPPCs and drop out of sight unless I wanted a face full of dakka.. I was pretty torn up by the end of the battle, but rode max heat all match till the very end and survived with the win.

Next game I was doing fine until a Rifleman took me out with a lucky headshot. 16 armor and 15 structure to head, I was in the middle of jumping, saw him turn to look at me, and I was dead. Not sure how even 2 gauss rifle shots managed to kill me when I had 31 HP to the head and then none, unless someone managed to swipe across my head with a laser at that same moment.

#36 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:33 AM

When facing strong players rather than head hunt I suggest you wipe their much easier to kill team mates in order to gain a large numbers advantage which can tip the odds in your favour when countering a strong player.

Perhaps I have said too much?

#37 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:36 AM

I have to admit I used to enjoy shooting ASH every chance I got

...... red or blue Doritos? They're really just a "position at the time" and team damage is only for "encouragement ".

I can honestly say I've never freaked out over facing unit TAGS or big name players, although I have witnessed so-called teammates quit without firing a shot because they saw a 12 man opposing us.

#38 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 05 February 2020 - 05:33 AM, said:

When facing strong players rather than head hunt I suggest you wipe their much easier to kill team mates in order to gain a large numbers advantage which can tip the odds in your favour when countering a strong player.

Perhaps I have said too much?

in football we would often "key" on the best players
often called double team or we would assign one player to specific players

sometimes I my type kill so and so or they will kill half the team

JMTCW

#39 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 05 February 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

...... red or blue Doritos? They're really just a "position at the time" and team damage is only for "encouragement ".

I can honestly say I've never freaked out over facing unit TAGS or big name players, although I have witnessed so-called teammates quit without firing a shot because they saw a 12 man opposing us.

I wouldn’t say I freak out(after all in the end it’s just a video game) but more ya kind of know that when you see certain names more then likely it is not going to end well unless there is some on your team as well( and yeah I don’t actively look for anyone but then again there is a reason why certain players are as good as they are, they are going to be able to weed out the potatoes fairly quickly. If I see em I will try an shoot em though maybe I will get lucky...lol

#40 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 05 February 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

I have definitely taken my fair share of "accidental" team damage over the years.

Yeah I never worry about whos on the other side other than do I have to:
  • Be ready to pull off an epic carry
  • Accept the game loss is a forgone conclusion
  • Can I not care because it's going to be an easy win

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users