What Do You Think Is The Most Versatile Clan Mech?

35 replies to this topic

#21 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:43 AM

View PostMadBomberMan, on 07 February 2020 - 05:58 PM, said:

I have fun with my Ebon Jaguar Prime with what what I call "Party Mech" build

1x LRM 10
X2 AC/5
1x Medium Laser
1x SRM6

4 different weapon groups gives your mouse hand plenty to do.
The diverse spread of weapons gives you a little bit of long range bite, a little bit of up close Smash, and if you run out of ammo you can always rely on your yellow light saber.
Posted Image

Logged in just to appreciate your quintessential bracket build.

#22 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

hm. I was going to say something along the line "people, don't troll the new players, just because of bad builds"
but then I see 2016..

fire away. Posted Image

@MadBomber
pls don't suggest such a build, somebody new might copy that and try it, putting a lot of their few cbills into it, just to find out it's ******;
- not cool.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 08 February 2020 - 08:32 AM.

#23 MadBomberMan

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:58 AM

Lmao! Whoah! Salty crowd!

#24 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:40 AM

The most versatile mechs has to be technically the Hunchie IIC. As it can pretty much do any loadout (including several very good ones) from long range to brawl. Missile, laser and ballistic (including heavy ballistic) loadouts using any and all of the decent weapons in the game are possible. It’s mobility and hit boxes however probably limit it from being the best of the mechs on the “most versatile” short-list.

the Vapor Eagle (imho) is probably the best of the short-list of versatile mechs. As it does an outstanding job with a quite a few different loadouts.

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 08 February 2020 - 10:51 AM.

#25 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:23 AM

I think people have different ideas as to what "versatile" means. To me, it means a single mech variant (not multiple variants of a mech like some people are suggesting), which leads us to pretty much clan omnis. Since the Timberwolf agility is so bad now, I would say the most versatile mech you can get is an Ebon Jaguar. A single Ebon Jaguar can run anything from missiles, to dakka, to lasers, with decent pod space while going 81 kph. There's no requirement to get more than one variant, unlike other suggestions here that require multiple different variants for different roles (we're not talking what's a strong mech chassis, we're saying what's most versatile)

Edited by Vxheous, 08 February 2020 - 11:30 AM.

#26 D U N E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

Personally for mediums I'd then say clan Huntsman, Hero would the pahket, but for standard variant any works well. Likewise, it can do a large array of builds, though its dakka game is particularly weak last I checked.

Also MADBOMBERMAN, bad builds plague alot of people, most the people laughing at that **** aren't upset cause it's gonna make them bad, they are upset cause it makes other players bad. Despite popular belief, most decent players want more people to be better at the game. Since it's not a good build, it might be fair for new players to add a warning that it's not a good mech, but you find it fun. Else you are selfishly saying you want other players to be bad.

#27 MadBomberMan

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

View PostD U N E, on 09 February 2020 - 05:07 PM, said:

Personally for mediums I'd then say clan Huntsman, Hero would the pahket, but for standard variant any works well. Likewise, it can do a large array of builds, though its dakka game is particularly weak last I checked.

Also MADBOMBERMAN, bad builds plague alot of people, most the people laughing at that **** aren't upset cause it's gonna make them bad, they are upset cause it makes other players bad. Despite popular belief, most decent players want more people to be better at the game. Since it's not a good build, it might be fair for new players to add a warning that it's not a good mech, but you find it fun. Else you are selfishly saying you want other players to be bad.

Show me your best Ebon Jaguar Prime bro.

#28 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

View PostD U N E, on 09 February 2020 - 05:07 PM, said:

Despite popular belief, most decent players want more people to be better at the game. Since it's not a good build, it might be fair for new players to add a warning that it's not a good mech, but you find it fun. Else you are selfishly saying you want other players to be bad.

^ that.

View PostMadBomberMan, on 10 February 2020 - 08:16 AM, said:

try the 9x mpl ebon. very powerful and super-easy to use.

or the uac20+ X (can't be bothered to look the number up, i think it's around 6) mpl one.
also strong, also easy to use, and fun.

yours ~could~ be used in Sol7, if you switch the lrm to an srm and kill the med.las, but that's about it. and there's still better builds for Sol7, just being fair and stating that it's not without use.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 10 February 2020 - 08:42 AM.

#29 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

Basically anything that sticks to weapons that synergize will work better. Best are probably 9mpl or standard clan laser vom imo (so like 4-6erml and 2 large lasers [erll or lpl I think for the ebon]), but Gauss vom can be ok and you can definitely do other things like dakka, lrms, or ATMs. They're really not terribly hard to build.

I am on my phone so no exact builds atm, but hopefully that gives you some ideas. If you want more exact builds let me know, I can toss out some later and others may have some good builds too.

Edited by Brauer, 10 February 2020 - 03:31 PM.

#30 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

Classic Meta Ebon Jag
Posted Image

#31 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostVxheous, on 10 February 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

Classic Meta Ebon Jag
Posted Image

This one, plus the 9mpl are miles ahead of all other ebon jags

#32 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:19 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 10 February 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

This one, plus the 9mpl are miles ahead of all other ebon jags

There is a couple other options.

Can use the UAC20 quirk on this EBJ-A

Or do it a bit differently: EBJ-A

The MPL one is actually pretty deadly with a 72pt double tap, that you can do twice on cooldown without being heatcapped. It's actually not a bad poke at 370-420m when people don't expect it.

#33 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:44 AM

Versatile can go two ways, either we talk versatile in terms of chassis, or we talk versatile in terms of a single variant. If its single variant then it obviously have to be an omnimech, if its chassis, then its a battlemech.

But honestly, it's VaporEagle, no contest.

#34 D U N E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:03 AM

Posted Image

MADBOMBERMAN That's what I've been using, I prefer having mid range high alpha.
You get all your damage at both short and mid range, and you don't need to arse about with 4 weapon groups and can actually focus on the important things.

Aiming.

#35 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 11 February 2020 - 12:19 AM, said:

There is a couple other options.

Can use the UAC20 quirk on this EBJ-A

Or do it a bit differently: EBJ-A

The MPL one is actually pretty deadly with a 72pt double tap, that you can do twice on cooldown without being heatcapped. It's actually not a bad poke at 370-420m when people don't expect it.

I always found the uac ebons die too easily, it can be done, but imo it's worse than the rainbow vomiter and full mpl options, and there are much better dakka heavies. I used to really like 1 gauss 6erml, but it hasn't been the same since erml nerfs :(

#36 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:15 PM

There are a lot of good Clan omnis with good variety of hardpoint options. Thing is: there were very few of those I actually enjoyed playing differently or they did feel different after changing the loadout. I.e. Shadow Cat was a sniper/harasser no matter what I tried it to play like and whichever weapons I took. Some other mechs have slot variety but there are 1-2 killer builds that are just heads above anything else.

So there are three mechs that worked well with different setups, played differently and avoided the flavour of being the same thing with some quirks:

3) Sun Spider - pure missile (LRM/ATM), missile+lasers, dakka, dakka+lasers, PPC sniper. ECM-capable. Short range builds did not work for me.
2) Huntsman - ATM-boat, SRM-boat (streaks and lurms should work too), missiles+lasers, dakka, dakka+lasers. Any range. Jump Capable.
1) Mad Dog - ATM/LRM/SRM/SSRM-focused builds, Lasvomit-Revenant, Dakka, hybrids.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users