Is The New Player Experience So Bad?

50 replies to this topic

#41 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:55 PM

Oh yeah WOWS also lets you spawn a number of any ship you want to practice shooting/learn their hitbox.

But hey wouldn't want to give the tryhards any advantage with their aimbots.

#42 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 08 February 2020 - 05:34 PM, said:

^This man writes the only short form essays on this forum anyone should ever read.

If I were a better writer, my posts would be shorter.

Me: I'll write a quick reply to that post

...500 words later

Alright, just three more main points that I need to make and then summarize and I can wrap this post up.

#43 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 08 February 2020 - 12:04 PM, said:

Guilty as pronounced. I role-play stock mechs and have a lot of fun on a Vindi. Yes, Urbie is too slow even for me, but the rest is fine.

Yep, I took the side of the farmers with a damn not given about this benefactor. Because screw it, that's why Posted Image

Cool, but what did that end up doing for you on a RP perspective? The game behaves as if the farmers and the benefactor are there to provide contracts. There's no last consequence or shaping of the story. All you get is lower salvage rights by the end-game.

#44 Chat Boy Killer

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:36 PM

I'm just here to kill chat boys. And I see a lot of them.

#45 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:24 PM

i dont think in game is that toxic at least in qp. you get the occasional passive aggressive "stupid team" player who ends up with the lowest score in the match. but thats about as far as it goes.

the early days of fp were pretty toxic. but i blame pgi for not creating a place for everyone in fp and creating a huge schism between group and solo players. everyone who took advantage of the situation deserve the dead mode they got now. it really is a shame because gameplay wise the mode is far superior to qp.

#46 skyfetcher

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:06 AM

There's a lot of reasons honestly, but I think a lot of it is made up by
- the game's pace and style; it's a niche, you're gonna lose a lot of people here and can't do much about it
- the ui never getting much better (very inefficient menus, loading, interface for matches)
- kind of an aimless startup, where new folks just get thrown in the meat grinder after a tutorial structure that's improved, but not enough.

I'm doing rather well so far, but I empathize enough to know other players aren't nearly getting on as well, and I know people who were truly new back in the day who really struggled to even get the basics down.

#47 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:40 PM

View Postskyfetcher, on 16 June 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

There's a lot of reasons honestly, but I think a lot of it is made up by
- the game's pace and style; it's a niche, you're gonna lose a lot of people here and can't do much about it
- the ui never getting much better (very inefficient menus, loading, interface for matches)
- kind of an aimless startup, where new folks just get thrown in the meat grinder after a tutorial structure that's improved, but not enough.

I'm doing rather well so far, but I empathize enough to know other players aren't nearly getting on as well, and I know people who were truly new back in the day who really struggled to even get the basics down.

It doesn't help either when a new player can't use comms for their first 25 matches and imo those first matches are very important when it comes to player retention. It might have been effective in the past but now new players should be able to ask for help right off the bat.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#48 skyfetcher

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:55 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 16 June 2020 - 12:40 PM, said:

It doesn't help either when a new player can't use comms for their first 25 matches and imo those first matches are very important when it comes to player retention. It might have been effective in the past but now new players should be able to ask for help right off the bat.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

I can see the logic, and honestly, with other things fixed I don't think this would be a strong influence. It probably doesn't help though, especially when paired with a pretty lackluster ingame/menus communication setup in all.

Edited by skyfetcher, 16 June 2020 - 04:55 PM.

#49 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:52 AM

I'd love to see more new player focused help either in the UI or in matchmaking (the volume probably isn't there though)
If the UI was easier to get a hang of early in the mechlab for example it might be easier.
More PVE in the training grounds might help too.

How about a free starter mech like the Wolverine Quarantine that was free when I started three months ago - made it easier to get my head around the game early.

Edited by GARION26, 17 June 2020 - 09:53 AM.

#50 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:58 AM

View PostGARION26, on 17 June 2020 - 09:52 AM, said:

How about a free starter mech
That's what the Cadet Bonus is for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users