#21 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

View PostBolo Atari, on 10 February 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

I may be myopic about this, yet tabletop Solaris was not about teams but about individual pilots in single combat duels. The art work used in the Stardate article specifically shows a 1 v 1 match.

Or are we only talking about online stuff ...

To be fair, that's probably what a lot of Solaris was (but with MUCH more logical divisions based on weight class, not "battlefield performance"). What most of the MWO community thinks of as "Solaris", though is the 4-way free-for-all from MW2: Mercs, and the 8-way free-for-all from MW4: Mercs.

#22 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:30 PM

I'd love a web-store GSP bundle sale sometime soon.

#23 Pepito Sbazzeguti

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:03 AM

View PostBolo Atari, on 10 February 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

I may be myopic about this, yet tabletop Solaris was not about teams but about individual pilots in single combat duels. The art work used in the Stardate article specifically shows a 1 v 1 match.

Or are we only talking about online stuff ...

We talking about online stuff. Tabletop is cool but when you translate it in a game not all is good. 1vs1 is fun until you not face the same metabuild guy over and over limiting your mech choice.

A big free for all is definitively what the game lack giving more space in builds variety imho.

#24 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

Oooh.

Ok ^_^

Yeahx my bad.

#25 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

Is the leaderboard current? I've never seen Merata Kell live anywhere in this game yet they are #1 with a bullet.

#26 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:00 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 11 February 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

Is the leaderboard current? I've never seen Merata Kell live anywhere in this game yet they are #1 with a bullet.

I'm not sure about that either. Posted Image

#27 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:20 PM

Oh I could tell you how to improve Solaris to make it great -- but there are too many Boo-Hoo-ers.

#28 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:59 PM

I wish the divisions were by weight class, not QP stats. I want to see the Piranha go up against other light 'mechs. It's kinda one-sided when one 'mech can't hit the other or evade being shot. Light's evade, assaults tank, and some 'mechs are just crap (even in the lore).

I think PGI keeps saying they're limited by something in Cryengine. Basically, Cryengine is only programmed to handle binary conflicts, which gets boring (hence why HBS added three-way and four-way battles). Imagine how fun it'd be if we had three teams of 8 instead of two teams of 12? :) And certainly an 8-way free-for-all would be the lifeblood of Solaris. It's also a great equalizer, because if you're wreaking face and your name rises to the top of the leaderboard, then everyone else starts to gang up on you as soon as they recognize you. :)

#29 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 11 February 2020 - 04:59 PM, said:

I wish the divisions were by weight class, not QP stats.

They are not. The mechs are assigned to their divisions by the measure of their overall Solaris performance.

#30 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:59 AM

Sorry, PGI... But no one cares about Solaris. Maybe you should make Quickplay more player friendly by expanding into group ques, and just scrap Solaris altogether.

Trying to do sync drops is a pain; you'd think a teamplay game would do a better job of supporting teamplay. I honestly don't know what consumer metric you guys use to calculate marketability; both MWO & MW5 would sell so much better if you'd focus a bit more on rewarding players for playing with friends, like EVERY SINGLE OTHER FPS has done since time immemorial, but what do those guys know?

...Apart from the financial security of developing, publishing, and maintaining a marketable product?

#31 GrimmigerPetz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:13 AM

Haiku of a veteran mwo player:

- online after days

- no player in solaris

- back to sleep again

Edited by GrimmigerPetz, 12 February 2020 - 04:18 AM.

#32 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 11 February 2020 - 10:15 PM, said:

They are not. The mechs are assigned to their divisions by the measure of their overall Solaris performance.

They didn't have Solaris stats when it was brand new, and based their initial divisions on QP stats. They've shuffled certain 'mechs up and down based on subsequent Solaris stats, but those stats don't exist in a vacuum. They're very much dependent upon what other 'mechs are presented for competition. For example: if Piranhas were subjected to nothing but streak boats, they'd quickly fall to Division 7. Currently, they're the only light 'mech in Division 2, and only the MG boat, at that. MG's are not that scary to a 'mech that can maneuver away from them, but they're terrifying to an assault 'mech that can't even get out of its own way and has to tank everything, and even worse when the MG boat can place itself in such a position that the assault can't shoot back.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 12 February 2020 - 02:19 PM.

#33 Pihoqahiak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 359 posts
  • LocationU.S.A., West Coast

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:16 AM

View PostBowelhacker, on 11 February 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

I'm not sure how current the leader board is, but Merata Kell was online less than 24 hours ago. He almost exclusively played Faction Play and Solaris when I was actively playing years ago, which could explain not seeing him if you play a lot of Quick Play. He's a very good pilot, even more so in duels.

#34 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:45 AM

Hey PGI (Matt!), can we get updated Division lists, please? Your most recent one is for the Solaris season that started last October. I think if you published a Season div chart, you'll realize that you goofed up: The MAD-4A(S) is in Div 2, but the MAD-4A (functionally identical, but without the 30% CB boost), is in Div 3...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users