42 replies to this topic

#21 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 24 February 2020 - 08:54 AM, said:

Wasted points just to make it slightly useful.

View PostHorseman, on 24 February 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

Basically you've wasted them on polishing a ****.

I remember that when Kodiak debuted, it was probably the most powerful assault 'Mech in the game.

Now it is among weaker ones. Oh, well.

#22 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

View Postmartian, on 24 February 2020 - 07:27 AM, said:

What about unlocking skill nodes from the Mobility section of the Skill Tree?

I didn't calculate this but I rebuild skill tree and put like 25-30 points in mobility tree to my Kodiak with the best engine. Don't see a big difference on the field. Gonna go full mobility tree but don't have high hopes here. It's not a bear, it's a drunken turtle. And the Sarna says that Kodiak is "a fast assault mech". LOL. Sucha loss of potential.

EDIT: And true I didn't read Kodiak specs before I bought it and I didn't compare it with other assaults torso twist speed etc. I thought: "Well, I like it, gonna jump for it". I designed a build, launched testing grounds and was like WTF? Bug? One move, one torso twist and you already know. I think it's running on diesel engine.

Edited by Bistrorider, 24 February 2020 - 09:40 AM.

#23 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

Well, with a 400 rated engine, it's still fast-ish. It still turns like a train, though.

#24 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 24 February 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

I didn't calculate this but I rebuild skill tree and put like 25-30 points in mobility tree to my Kodiak with the best engine. Don't see a big difference on the field. Gonna go full mobility tree but don't have big hopes here. It's not a bear, it's a drunken turtle.

Do not forget to tell us if you will see any improvement with the fully skilled mobility tree.

View PostBistrorider, on 24 February 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

And the Sarna says that Kodiak is "a fast assault mech". LOL. Sucha loss of potential.

Well, it is faster than the Daishi, is it not? Posted Image

#25 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:55 AM

Well I don't have Daishi (But I will buy it one day. I remember this ******* from Mechcommander), but looks like Kodiak is at least faster. With 400 engine and mobility bonus Kodiak is fast but acceleration is fatal, the way it maintaining speed is also fatal. Sure, I will tell you how it goes. Maybe I will try today (some guys will have easy kills). I'm comparing Kodiak with the way the Atlas move. It's like heaven and hell. Did some tests at Solaris with my son. He in Atlas, me in Kodiak. It never ends good for me and statistically I should win like one or two matches. And my builds were mean, his were hilarious. Funny feeling when someone sees a great big Kodiak and starts to laugh.

Edited by Bistrorider, 24 February 2020 - 10:06 AM.

#26 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:13 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 24 February 2020 - 09:55 AM, said:

With 400 engine and mobility bonus Kodiak is fast but acceleration is fatal, the way it maintaining speed is also fatal. Sure, I will tell you how it goes. Maybe I will try today (some guys will have easy kills). I'm comparing Kodiak with the way the Atlas move. It's like heaven and hell.

It seems that everything is fatal ... Posted Image

View PostBistrorider, on 24 February 2020 - 09:55 AM, said:

Well I don't have Daishi (But I will buy it one day. I remember this ******* from Mechcommander.

The heaviest Clan OmniMechs in MechCommander were Masakari and Turkina, so I guess that you misremembered Turkina for Daishi.

#27 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:27 AM

View Postmartian, on 24 February 2020 - 10:13 AM, said:

It seems that everything is fatal ... Posted Image

The heaviest Clan OmniMechs in MechCommander were Masakari and Turkina, so I guess that you misremembered Turkina for Daishi.

Well, I didn't abandon my Kodiak yet. Yeah I mistaken Daishi with Masakari. Similar look and those Japanese nicknamesPosted Image Don't remember Turkina. Something new for me.

#28 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:37 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 24 February 2020 - 10:27 AM, said:

Well, I didn't abandon my Kodiak yet.

Good for you if you can make it work.

Yeah I mistaken Daishi with Masakari. Similar look and those Japanese nicknamesPosted Image

Of course. Posted Image

Don't remember Turkina. Something new for me.

Masakari was the heaviest Clan OmniMech in the original MechCommander game.

Turkina was added in the MechCommander Gold: Desperate Measures expansion pack.

#29 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:57 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 24 February 2020 - 12:00 AM, said:

That Highlander IIC with 4 Energy and 4 Ballistic had potential. It's kind of like the Kodiak but more agile. Or maybe it's me being biased 'cause I have a few Highlander IICs and I like them to some extent while my experience with the Kodiaks has only been in Testing Grounds and really let down by the agility.

I mean, it would be one of the only mechs that could mount 3 LBXAC20.

#30 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 February 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

Well, with a 400 rated engine, it's still fast-ish. It still turns like a train, though.

The torso twisting and pitch is still terribad. I don't know if the recent tweaks to it made it better. But I distinctly remember PGI not touching the Kodiak 3.

View PostScout Derek, on 24 February 2020 - 03:57 PM, said:

I mean, it would be one of the only mechs that could mount 3 LBXAC20.

I was thinking along the same lines. I'd even try 2x UAC 10 + 2 LBx 20s Posted Image

#31 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:56 PM

View Postmartian, on 24 February 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

Now it is among weaker ones. Oh, well.
Arguable - high hardpoints as you've said before, and it still can do 2xUAC5+2xUAC10 (or if you're sufficiently crazy, 4xUAC10). What is not arguable is that it now pilots like a dump truck and investing points in mobility won't do much to change that. :)

#32 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:51 PM

View PostHorseman, on 24 February 2020 - 10:56 PM, said:

Arguable - high hardpoints as you've said before, and it still can do 2xUAC5+2xUAC10 (or if you're sufficiently crazy, 4xUAC10). What is not arguable is that it now pilots like a dump truck and investing points in mobility won't do much to change that. Posted Image

When I first saw the Kodiak 3 (C) being offered in a Christmas Loot Bag event, I was thinking of trying UAC20 + 2 UAC10, 2x Gauss + HLL + something else, MPLs + 2x LBx20s. But when I tried it out in the Testing Ground, even as a newbie back then who hadn't tried many mechs, I just thought it was crap.

I wish the Cu Chulainn was released though. It has so much promise. Like Scout Derek said, 3x LBx20 or even this would be possible.

#33 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:39 AM

View PostHorseman, on 24 February 2020 - 10:56 PM, said:

Arguable - high hardpoints as you've said before, and it still can do 2xUAC5+2xUAC10 (or if you're sufficiently crazy, 4xUAC10). What is not arguable is that it now pilots like a dump truck and investing points in mobility won't do much to change that. Posted Image

I would say that I see it less often than Mad Cat Mk. II or Blood Asp, about as often as Daishi (maybe slightly less often), but more often than Charger, Hatamoto-Chi or Victor.

#34 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:31 AM

View Postmartian, on 25 February 2020 - 12:39 AM, said:

I would say that I see it less often than Mad Cat Mk. II or Blood Asp, about as often as Daishi (maybe slightly less often), but more often than Charger, Hatamoto-Chi or Victor.

Well, the Direwolf is suicide in the hands of anyone who isn't good in this game, especially in QP. Charger, Hamtomato-Cheese and Victor have a couple of variants that are good but they, too, aren't that great. The Kodiak can carry a lot of weapons and isn't limited by the engine size 'cause it isn't an omni mech but my goodness that agility.

The brawling Charger is decent, the laser-vomit one is ok. The ECM Hamtomato is decent, the Hero has potential and there's one more that can do RACs well but I'd rather bring something else for that. There's really only two Victors that are ever used, so, yeah, they won't see the battlefield a whole lot nowadays. The IS mechs have many more assaults that can do those things better. The Clan side doesn't have as many assault mechs as the IS side.

#35 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:27 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 25 February 2020 - 01:31 AM, said:

Well, the Direwolf is suicide in the hands of anyone who isn't good in this game, especially in QP. Charger, Hamtomato-Cheese and Victor have a couple of variants that are good but they, too, aren't that great. The Kodiak can carry a lot of weapons and isn't limited by the engine size 'cause it isn't an omni mech but my goodness that agility.

Who knows? Perhaps PGI will touch 'Mech quirks or or 'Mech stats again.

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 25 February 2020 - 01:31 AM, said:

The brawling Charger is decent, the laser-vomit one is ok. The ECM Hamtomato is decent, the Hero has potential and there's one more that can do RACs well but I'd rather bring something else for that. There's really only two Victors that are ever used, so, yeah, they won't see the battlefield a whole lot nowadays. The IS mechs have many more assaults that can do those things better. The Clan side doesn't have as many assault mechs as the IS side.

Maybe they are decent, but honestly I do not remember the last time when I saw the Charger in the game.

#36 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

View Postmartian, on 25 February 2020 - 06:27 AM, said:

Maybe they are decent, but honestly I do not remember the last time when I saw the Charger in the game.

Yeah 'cause if anyone wants to bring an IS Assault, there are others better than it, similarly if someone wants to bring a Clan Assault, there are others better than the Kodiak. I'd probably even mean it when I say that given the choice between a Kodiak and a brawling Charger in their current state, I'd pick the Charger.

#37 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:42 PM

If the charger had a little bit better agility it'd be decent.

It dominates in a couple of Solaris divisions, great 1v1 mech.

#38 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:47 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 25 February 2020 - 08:42 PM, said:

If the charger had a little bit better agility it'd be decent.

It dominates in a couple of Solaris divisions, great 1v1 mech.

That AC20 Cooldown quirked Charger is better than the Kodiak, no? Maybe I'm being a little biased 'cause I've been put off by that 100 tonner that can run at 65kph or more but turns when it feels like it and has armour similar to an 80 tonner. I'd pick the Charger in its stead in their respective current state.

#39 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:11 PM

I dunno, I'd take the charger over a kodiak just for the health advantage.

Kodiak pretty garbo nowadays.

#40 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 24 September 2021 - 01:06 AM

So is the Kodiak much better after the Cauldron Aug'2021 quirk patch for Kodiak? :)

https://mwomercs.com...50-24august2021

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users