For Those Who Wish To Call Out Targets.....

32 replies to this topic

#21 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:31 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 22 February 2020 - 07:06 PM, said:

Just spot a lonely assault that's trying to keep up desperately with its team. Call that target out to kill it quickly with your lance. As for the situations (rare situations) when your team is in a good position and has a line on incoming enemies around the corner, I'd prefer calling out A target so the rest of the team can hopefully shoot just that one instead of spreading damage to everyone. I've seen more often than not that when people get shot at by multiple mechs, they try to back up and cause a nice traffic jam.

For e.g., I've instructed so many times on Hibernal that the best spot for us would be to make our way to the C4 crashed dropship area, take up the high ground close to the centre and let the enemies come around from the narrow low ground from the side of that dropship, causing a severe bottleneck for themselves. When the team does listen, I'll keep calling out targets that peek around the corner. I'll also warn my team about the pesky JJ mechs that try to come around from the top so that our skirmishers can attack them quickly. What would be unhelpful on my part would be to call out targets that aren't even trying to shoot us at that moment. Only when we have a good advantage, say something like a 3 kill advantage, I'll call out the weak spots on enemies that are trying to run so that the entire team can kill it quickly with the help of our skirmishers and brawlers. It'd be detrimental to call our targets that are trying to flee into the canyon on the otherside only to find that teammates in assault and heavy mechs chase that one enemy and abandon our power position early on.

Pretty much what I said with more words

#22 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:36 PM

Calling out targets is overrated anyway ...

What is the point of calling out targets if your "team" is hiding behind rocks and refusing to fight?

#23 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

There is maybe 5-6 people capable of calling drops in QP left playing (that will do it).

Outside of that every other player that attempts to do it is usually hurting their team because they call targets:
  • That dont matter / are not a threat.
  • That lead your own team to break up / go after pointless targets.
  • Which leading to your team moving into a bad position/killbox.
  • Irrelevant information like "shoot the Cheeta over here", "I need help with this Maddog" - What does that even mean?
  • Because the bad player is out of position, they cause mechs to come to aid when, causing losses.

The best part of most of these users who "think" they are doing good, generally have a WLR below 1.0 which is the most amusing part. If they stayed off comms, shut their mouths - they would more than likely win more because they aren't actively causing their teams to lose with bad comms.

As I've said before - I called QP for laughs last year. Went something like 50-2(3) or whatever it was because simple and basic organisation will most often win - as long as its GOOD organisation / plans & calls. Also stopping the rotation and holding strong positons is almost a sure fire way to win.

I mean when teams rotate into the LOW ground on Canyon Network - you are going to lose. It's the dumbest place on the map.

#24 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:47 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 23 February 2020 - 05:17 PM, said:

There is maybe 5-6 people capable of calling drops in QP left playing (that will do it).

Outside of that every other player that attempts to do it is usually hurting their team because they call targets:
  • That dont matter / are not a threat.
  • That lead your own team to break up / go after pointless targets.
  • Which leading to your team moving into a bad position/killbox.
  • Irrelevant information like "shoot the Cheeta over here", "I need help with this Maddog" - What does that even mean?
  • Because the bad player is out of position, they cause mechs to come to aid when, causing losses.

The best part of most of these users who "think" they are doing good, generally have a WLR below 1.0 which is the most amusing part. If they stayed off comms, shut their mouths - they would more than likely win more because they aren't actively causing their teams to lose with bad comms.

As I've said before - I called QP for laughs last year. Went something like 50-2(3) or whatever it was because simple and basic organisation will most often win - as long as its GOOD organisation / plans & calls. Also stopping the rotation and holding strong positons is almost a sure fire way to win.

I mean when teams rotate into the LOW ground on Canyon Network - you are going to lose. It's the dumbest place on the map.

it's a common misconception to think that any communication is always better than none. personally i'll take the usual disorganized chaos over organized stupidity any day.

#25 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:42 PM

View Postcougurt, on 23 February 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

it's a common misconception to think that any communication is always better than none. personally i'll take the usual disorganized chaos over organized stupidity any day.

Yep, absolutely agree.

Bad comms is usually capitalised on easily enough by disorganised opposition as there is no real cure for bad position/movement if the other team has much stronger positons. All you need to do is add in 1 decent player to the enemy team and no amount of "calls" from the "tactical experts" is going to save you.

#26 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

man we are going down the tubes

#27 Rick88

Rookie

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

How else will people know to shoot Lorenzo, Gerti, and Peter Piper if they're not called out?

#28 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:42 AM

just give me back the proper doritos instead of diamonds.. at least back then you didnt even need coms to figure out if someone had something targeted.. ohh look 5 mechs with doritos.. hey one of thems not empty, maybe i'll target that same guy too..

in the new diamond system you have absolutely zero clue if you have LOS on a mech or its a shared target..

#29 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:51 AM

Sigh...............

#30 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

View Postcougurt, on 23 February 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

That horrible feeling when you drop on HPG and you hear

"Let's go to the basement!"
"Yeah cool, I'm with you!"
"Let's do it!"

Me: Should I just DC right now?

#31 AizakG

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:34 PM

My favorite is when the dude who's """drop calling""" dies and then starts spectating me and literally just calls out the targets I shoot at, thinking he's helping me.

#32 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:43 PM

^And they think you're locking those targets, but really you just lock the next thing you start shooting at because the previous thing you were shooting is dead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users