How Awesome Is Mw5's Awesome?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:44 AM

It's simply.. well.. Awesome! Posted Image

I have to say I am liking this mech very much, even more than in MWO.

I love the 3 PPCs variant best, with the 2xLRM15+2LL version a close second..

Those 3 PPCs just obliterate most anything in 2-3 shots.. And they seem to snap lights out of existance with a single well-placed shot. (Advanced zoom mod help alot)

The LRM+LL version can also hold it's own, and is a great support mech.

I do wish the R8 version had 4 missile and 3 energy slots like it has in MWO.. I miss that one..

But the mech is also tanky and quite durable.. Right now, I'm rank 9, and I field this puppy, and when it comes back, on most occasions, my armor is still not breached..

Love it!

What's your take on the Aweome in MW5?

What other mech do you like?

Edited by Vellron2005, 05 March 2020 - 03:45 AM.

#2 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:56 PM

Finding an AWS-8Q in my first playthrough was a pretty big turning point for how I played.

Obviously, I took it out myself the few times but didn't really click with it. Still I really liked these in MWO and played a 9M for a long time but being locked to 48.6 kph in MW5 just felt too slow for my liking. It was seeing my AI pilots that made me realize how they fit best for me. Sure, the AI lancemates don't take the big 3xPPC shots that rip mechs apart like I was doing but the range means that they usually start shooting first and the pinpoint damage means that they're dealing decent chunks of damage when they hit.

I ended up with a pair of 8Q's that saw A LOT of action in the mid to late game. Combined them with a Banshee-3M (variant might be wrong) that also had a pair of PPCs and it was just glorious to watch them go.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 March 2020 - 06:42 AM

You can put that 3x PPC on the Black Knight as well and load it up with DHS. Basically, anything that can destroy cockpits is good and 3 PPC or Goose + PPC or anything like that is great.

I've taken a liking to some brawlers like the Quickdraw, Stalker and Battlemaster Hero in particular. Put MPLs in there with SRM4+A and you can basically 2-shot most mechs. If you have DHS, you can keep firing until an entire lance is dead and it happens real fast. Plus, the Battlemaster can run at 64 kph.

#4 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:27 AM

If you like 8Q you will also like 9M variant, it is basicly upgraded version of 8Q. But the mech will be available after year 3049.

#5 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:05 PM

AWS 8Q is a tank. I thought it would be overheating, but added a few DHS and overheat is minimal. AWS 8T is great for demolitions, some defenses.

#6 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:26 PM

I run triple Large pulse on mine for hit scan goodness

#7 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:13 AM

MW5 dosn't use hitscan as far as I know.

#8 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:08 AM

Personally, I find lasers less useful than PPCs, but great against Vtols.. PPCs are capable of taking out mechs very quickly..

TBH, EVERY weapon in MW5 is useful in some way..

#9 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:28 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 08 March 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

You can put that 3x PPC on the Black Knight as well and load it up with DHS. Basically, anything that can destroy cockpits is good and 3 PPC or Goose + PPC or anything like that is great.

As I still have very few DHS, and a 3 PPC Black Knight overheats like crazy with regular SHS, I tried a 2PPC+4MLAS and it works well.. Just finished the "Lock and load" campaign mission with it yesterday..

Edited by Vellron2005, 19 March 2020 - 01:28 AM.

#10 Funk1777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:38 AM

I ran an Awesome 9M with 3 ppc's a lot throughout the end game as part of my 64kph crew for assassinations or raids(if i didnt feel like cheesing it with my cicada hero). I wouldnt drive it but the AI did ok with it. It went nice with the banshee hero and a couple of cyclops heros at keeping pace and having that long range punch to keep the repair bills down.

I prefer the ballistic mechs with dual gauss variants being my favorite for headshotting goodness but I could see some mid game awesomes doing some work. Stalkers and black knights also fit that weight range pretty well and can boat some hurt with enough cooling to keep the AI from being useless but their sheer number of hardpoints lends them to bigger alpha brawly type builds which raises your repair bills.

#11 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:07 AM

View PostFunk1777, on 19 March 2020 - 01:38 AM, said:

I ran an Awesome 9M with 3 ppc's a lot throughout the end game as part of my 64kph crew for assassinations or raids(if i didnt feel like cheesing it with my cicada hero). I wouldnt drive it but the AI did ok with it. It went nice with the banshee hero and a couple of cyclops heros at keeping pace and having that long range punch to keep the repair bills down.

I prefer the ballistic mechs with dual gauss variants being my favorite for headshotting goodness but I could see some mid game awesomes doing some work. Stalkers and black knights also fit that weight range pretty well and can boat some hurt with enough cooling to keep the AI from being useless but their sheer number of hardpoints lends them to bigger alpha brawly type builds which raises your repair bills.

In the mid-game, I actually find a 3PPC Awesome superior to a rare 2Gauss+ERPPC King Crab... although the King Crab and any mech with Dual Gauss performs better, those Gauss riffles are precious, rare things, and loosing one, or even it's ammo, is an automatic save-game load. These weapon combos are the best assassination mechs, and are very useful in other modes where you need to kill targets quickly..

#12 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:01 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't constantly bring the triple PPC or Goose+PPC mechs to every mission type. I keep the Brawlers for Defense and Warzones. The long-range mechs belong in Demolition and Raid. The mix of the two perform well in Assassination and in MQ.

#13 BigbadV

Rookie

• Shredder
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 06:28 PM

8Q - 3x ER PPC. for those sweet head shots
8T - Just a thiccer Hero Orion... which is good.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 07:10 PM

mw5: finally an awesome that isnt a joke!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users