Stuck At The First Strike Mission

5 replies to this topic

#1 Dupont

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:19 AM

Sorry to admit it but no matter what I do I can not win this. Could someone point me to a guide or direct me to a previous post about it. I don't want to resort to cheating,

Thank you.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:27 PM

Too lazy to google, eh?

https://www.ign.com/...es/First_Strike

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:17 AM

View PostDupont, on 10 March 2020 - 09:19 AM, said:

Sorry to admit it but no matter what I do I can not win this. Could someone point me to a guide or direct me to a previous post about it. I don't want to resort to cheating,

Thank you.

You do any of the following:

1) Reload to an earlier save, and wait a bit before undertaking this, until you have better mechs and equipment

2) Use lots of PPCs and headshot alot.

3) Make sure you have a full lance and maximum allowed tonnage.

4) Equip two of your lancemates with dedicated LRM mechs - that way you can force them to focus-fire your target more effectively, without getting shot in the back, and they can attack from a better range and over low cover, which means less crowding and rushing into danger.

Equip the third with hard-hitting weapons like PPCs and high energy skills.
Make sure all your lancemates have as high skill ratings as possible, especially the defensive skills.

5) Play a dedicated LRM mech, and stay at range, sacrificing your lancemate's mechs and using them as meat shields while you whittle your boss targets down.

6) Use a 3 PPC Awesome or similar mech - 3 PPCs (or PPC+Gauss in any combination) to the CT kills most any mech in the game in 2-4 shots. If you headshot with that, you can even one-shot-kill some mechs.. That turns a deadly encounter into a quick mop-up..

Edited by Vellron2005, 11 March 2020 - 02:23 AM.

#4 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:52 AM

Very important to have a full lance, 240-250 tons of mechs, and pilots who's skills have developed to the 25ish+ level.

Other than that, the one tip I can give is this: your lancemates will stop and shoot at tanks and turrets while you charge towards the main objectives, and take time to form up due to the buildings taking longer to navigate around than you would expect. As you clear each section, wait for them to form back up again before moving on to the next. Otherwise you will overextend yourself and they will take what will seem like forever to get into the fight while you try to solo an enemy lance for 60 seconds.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:06 PM

i think some of the progress triggers are poorly implemented. seems like they were just invisible bounding boxes, and you would have to find the right imaginary box to trigger the next part of the mission. the annihilator mission in particular was tedious. you could bypass one walk to the other end of the map and not find anything to do.

i think other mechwarrior games did it better, where you were given nave points, but they were merely suggestions and you could approach the enemy however you see fit. what you do is have the waypoint trigger but also have a timer which will trigger the event when it times out. this gives you an option of duking it out in a brawl at the waypoint or setting up for a ranged fight elsewhere.

its a huge problem with script driven missions, but they can do better than "check this place out" *spawn enemies* "check this other place out" *spawn enemies* and on and on. freespace 1&2 are still the poster child for how to have scripted missions that aren't terrible (and this is why its better than all those wing commander and star wars games from the same time period, even though it was blatantly ripping off all the good mechanics from those).

Edited by LordNothing, 03 April 2020 - 05:12 PM.

#6 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 01:52 PM

Dude, if you want help so join MW5 on Discord.

Edited by SVK Puskin, 12 April 2020 - 01:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users