Srm Meta?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Beegus Deecus Bellator

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:41 PM

Is SRM boating with Assaults the main thing people do in this mode? I wasn't expecting it to be like MechWarrior 4 Mercs Solaris by any means but, this is hardly fun and or challenging. Maybe I just had some bad luck tonight, but I ran into two such players doing the same thing.

They also leave as soon as they win, which I think may or may not be a sign they typically generate a lot of salt playing the way they do. Posted Image

#2 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:08 AM

View PostDecus Bellator, on 21 April 2020 - 11:41 PM, said:

Is SRM boating with Assaults the main thing people do in this mode? I wasn't expecting it to be like MechWarrior 4 Mercs Solaris by any means but, this is hardly fun and or challenging. Maybe I just had some bad luck tonight, but I ran into two such players doing the same thing.

They also leave as soon as they win, which I think may or may not be a sign they typically generate a lot of salt playing the way they do. Posted Image

Were these IS or Clan assaults? Asking because Clan SRM do not always register properly. And either way there are not many assaults with more than four missile hardpoints, and these are usually low on other weapons or gimped in some other way.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:14 AM

Depends on the division you are playing in. It varies as to dakka or SRM or lasers.

They don't leave because of salt. They are probably leaving to get onto the next game faster as I assume you put up little fight and/or had a very questionable build.

#4 Beegus Deecus Bellator

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:43 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 22 April 2020 - 02:08 AM, said:

Were these IS or Clan assaults? Asking because Clan SRM do not always register properly. And either way there are not many assaults with more than four missile hardpoints, and these are usually low on other weapons or gimped in some other way.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 April 2020 - 03:14 AM, said:

Depends on the division you are playing in. It varies as to dakka or SRM or lasers.

They don't leave because of salt. They are probably leaving to get onto the next game faster as I assume you put up little fight and/or had a very questionable build.

I was trying Division 7 in my Mad Cat MKII, which may or may not be too high for me. I normally just do QP and Faction every now and then.

Yeah there wasn't much I could do. They just ran up into my face, alpha'd, twisted to the side, rinse and repeat. And one was a Highlander IIC and the other was a Fafnir. It may or may not have been SRMs, I'm not sure. All I know is Solaris is really seeming like it's not my cup of tea with the lack of weapon variety.

Edited by Decus Bellator, 22 April 2020 - 10:46 AM.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:29 PM

Well you weren't in Division 7 in a MCII. As that's the light division.

I assume you are in Div 1 or 2, either way it's a poor mech choice for it's division.

There is plenty of weapon variety. I clearly stated that.

I could be Missile, Ballistic or Laser or a combo of all of them. It depends on the mech and the division. But by all means play 2 games and make some outlandish and overreaching statement... You're still wrong.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 22 April 2020 - 06:29 PM.

#6 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:14 PM

Is SRM boating with Assaults the main thing people do in this mode?
Simply: no. Check the builds used by top 10-20 players on each division's leaderboard.

View PostDecus Bellator, on 22 April 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

I was trying Division 7 in my Mad Cat MKII,
No, you weren't. Depending on the variant, you were queued somewhere between div 1 and 3.

which may or may not be too high for me.
Divisions have nothing to do with your skill level, only with the performance level of the mechs assigned tho them. Think different formula classifications for racing cars.

Yeah there wasn't much I could do. They just ran up into my face, alpha'd, twisted to the side, rinse and repeat. And one was a Highlander IIC and the other was a Fafnir.
You took a knife to a gun fight. The MK IIs may work well in QP and FP (given the right map), but given the small size of Solaris maps the engagements there strongly favor brawl builds.

View PostDecus Bellator, on 22 April 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

All I know is Solaris is really seeming like it's not my cup of tea with the lack of weapon variety.

Dude, you've played two - count 'em, TWO - matches and aren't even sure what your opponents actually ran. That's not grounds for complaining their unspecified builds weren't varied enough for you.

Fact is, you got outbrawled by players who shot to kill rather than to farm damage. Adjust your tactics accordingly.

Edited by Horseman, 22 April 2020 - 11:18 PM.

#7 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:19 AM

Just to weigh in as another Solaris noob (10games total? Maybe?) Just clicked into Solaris 4 days ago for the first time.

1. Seems like any missiles are pretty pointless, other than aggravation.... they simply spread damage too much. I tried a Streak cat and was eaten alive. They were ALL tore up, but no components destroyed. MAYBE getting in your face means the missile spread is smaller? I don't know the mechanics... not sure on hit/box vs visuals here. Do they hit as if they came out of your mech's actual missile pods, or do they hit where your cross-hair is... or in between.. I don't know.

2. Solaris builds are DEFINITELY different than a traditional battle build. I've found I can't possibly take the same build into both, with the exception of a FEW energy builds. My big hitters and fun mechs for 12v12 have been flops in Solaris. Simply put, you are looking for fast DPS, no excess ammo, no excess heat, and usually nothing long range. You can't handle overheating... so you need to value heatsinks over weapons at times (you need a solid 30sec of damage, not a strong alpha and retreat... there is no one else to occupy the enemies attention). AMS, ECM, and lots of other gadgets are USUALLY pointless, unless you drop against a particular individual that they counter (ECM vs s-srm).

3. I am no expert... not really great at the game in any mode, but that's my observation. I'm there as a punching bag until I learn more, and tweak my mech after each build. Did I have a LOT of ammo left over, drop some. Did I overheat? Find a way to get more heatsinks, or drop to a cooler weapon. Did the rotary AC never wind up quick enough? Swap it for something else.

4. I somehow annihilated a couple opponents in my first 4 matches... and then have barely won since then. I assume its a combination of player skill (since there is no skill leveling in solaris) and mech build. Some guys have been tweaking for arena combat and have builds dialed in.

In the end, I just hope there continues to be enough people playing... its quite hard to get a match at most times, even clicking through all 7 divisions looking for anyone in queue. Or queue up and sit and wait for awhile for someone to find me... then I end up dropping into quick play because it MUCH more fight time per time waiting.

Edited by chevy42083, 23 June 2020 - 06:20 AM.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

View Postchevy42083, on 23 June 2020 - 06:19 AM, said:

1. Seems like any missiles are pretty pointless, other than aggravation.... they simply spread damage too much. I tried a Streak cat and was eaten alive. They were ALL tore up, but no components destroyed. MAYBE getting in your face means the missile spread is smaller?
SRMs (which OP was talking about) and Streaks (which you were talking about) are very different.
SRMs fire at the crosshair, but Streaks lock individual missiles onto random components of the enemy mech. This makes them semi-useful against lights and some of the more fragile mediums, but basically useless against more durable enemy mechs.

Streaks also work differently from LRMs and ATMs, both of which fire at the center of mass of your locked target.

Now, the reason actual SRMs are used is because they're more efficient than ballistics on damage for tons and more efficient than energy weapons on damage for heat. Depending on the build, you may be boating "normal" launchers or fewer but with Artemis (which reduces the spread of your missiles by 30% when in LOS)

I don't know the mechanics... not sure on hit/box vs visuals here. Do they hit as if they came out of your mech's actual missile pods, or do they hit where your cross-hair is... or in between.. I don't know.

It's a combination.
* They lauch from the missile pods
* Their trajectory goes towards where your crosshair was when you fired (whether that was the enemy mech or the ground behind them

This is why hardpoint convergence can be important - a tight cluster of SRMs packed tight together is undeniably better than a wide spread.

If you want a guide to mech hitboxes, see https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

2. Solaris builds are DEFINITELY different than a traditional battle build. I've found I can't possibly take the same build into both, with the exception of a FEW energy builds. My big hitters and fun mechs for 12v12 have been flops in Solaris. Simply put, you are looking for fast DPS, no excess ammo, no excess heat, and usually nothing long range.
Pretty much. There are some long range builds boating RACs or AC2s and some pulsevomit builds but it all boils down to being efficient in tearing your opponent a new one.

You can't handle overheating... so you need to value heatsinks over weapons at times (you need a solid 30sec of damage, not a strong alpha and retreat... there is no one else to occupy the enemies attention).
Mostly correct. You can't overgun your mechs, but you need to minmax your heat production versus cooling to something that can deliver damage fast enough to kill your opponent before he can do the same to you.
Boom-and-zoom builds are viable on light mechs / fast mediums, but they're rather more difficult to operate.

AMS, ECM, and lots of other gadgets are USUALLY pointless, unless you drop against a particular individual that they counter (ECM vs s-srm).
Yup. In fact, the jamming effect from ECM can betray your position from further away than footstep sounds can (this does make a difference in close quarters combat, eg on Liao Jungle or Ishiyama Caves)

3. I am no expert... not really great at the game in any mode, but that's my observation. I'm there as a punching bag until I learn more, and tweak my mech after each build. Did I have a LOT of ammo left over, drop some. Did I overheat? Find a way to get more heatsinks, or drop to a cooler weapon. Did the rotary AC never wind up quick enough? Swap it for something else.
Pretty much. Eventually you'll be min-maxing to beat more optimized enemy builds, but until then this is a reasonable approach. Eventually you'll probably have a few dedicated Solaris mechs to work with.

4. I somehow annihilated a couple opponents in my first 4 matches... and then have barely won since then. I assume its a combination of player skill (since there is no skill leveling in solaris) and mech build. Some guys have been tweaking for arena combat and have builds dialed in.
That, and population is low in the mode outside of the first 2-3 weeks of a seson. During the kick-off events, you tend to see a lot more players and thus the matchmaker actually has players to pick from rather than toss together the only two players who queued.

#9 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the info/advice!

I thought SRM spread would be even worse than targeting SSRMs... guess I was wrong. Probably need to play in testing/training grounds a bit to try some things out. I didn't realize that SSRMs didn't target center mass. Guess that's why I'm here on the forums, rather than just playing away. There's SOOO much useful info.

I have claimed 7 mechs as my solaris mechs... changed the camo color so i don't choose them elsewhere, and saved the QP loadout that I liked previously.

The event is the only reason I even tried solaris... I'd kind of forgotten about it. Figured it would be a quick way to some prizes. Though I've never seen more than 3 or 4 others playing at a time, and never more than 2 others in a queue... so haven't managed that 7 wins yet lol

EDIT: apparently ssrm DID target center mass at one point... which may be what I'm remembering from 2012-2013 when I first played... before a long break.

Edited by chevy42083, 26 June 2020 - 08:34 AM.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:20 AM

So, protip... you really want to start playing Solaris as soon as the season kick-off starts because it dies off (to the current state) within 3 weeks or so. Doing 25 matches in a division will qualify you for end of season rewards (1v1 and 2v2 count separately), which aren't bad if you get in the top 500 (not difficult, there's only about 600 players doing the mode in the first place) - and are the game's best source for GXP: https://mwomercs.com...atch-notes/2343

Edited by Horseman, 26 June 2020 - 09:20 AM.

#11 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

So, that would be 25 matches in a given division, right?
Not 25 spread over all 7 divisions?

Guess its not a bad idea to focus on the few divisions where my mechs are working, vs trying to make ones work that simply don't lol Like the division where the only mechs I own that are allowed are my 3 ravens... and I'm not very good with them.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:09 PM

View Postchevy42083, on 01 July 2020 - 11:22 AM, said:

So, that would be 25 matches in a given division, right?
Not 25 spread over all 7 divisions?
25 each given division, for a total of 175 matches acress the 1v1 divisions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users