Solo And Group Queue Combined For Next 4 Weeks

85 replies to this topic

#41 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:52 AM

Yeah this was a silly thing to do. 8v8s were fine. Mixing solo que with group que is a face palm. Sync dropping was never a problem due to being random chance but making it to where you can stack either side is outright stupid. Lol.

#42 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:53 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 29 April 2020 - 05:31 AM, said:

It's group or get farmed, which is bad.

And even success in a group is not guaranteed, mind you, you will still drop against proverbial EMP lances from time to time. And with tier matchmaking out of farm's way (apparently) it just gets stranger and stranger. Of course all of this can go your way just as likely as not, but if MWO still proclaims itself to be a cybersport game or something this is way out of place. Even in TT dice rolls do not matter that much.

#43 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:00 AM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 29 April 2020 - 04:21 AM, said:

So I bet myself and some fellow Rangers/friends dropped in 15-20 mixed queue matches yesterday, and MUCH to my surprise the results were actually pretty good. A group of 3 or 4 can definitely have a profound affect on a match especially if youre running coordinated builds and have complimentary play styles. We ran into some 228 and MJ12 groups, but it wasn't a an automatic beatdown every time which it usually is in group play. I don't have stats to back it up, but Id say the matches seemed more competitive generally. Their were still some 12-0, 12-1, 12-2 results, but we had plenty of 12-11,12-10-,12-9 matches as well. As some mentioned before some teams were even playing objectives! Im not sure how the experience for the solo players was as a whole because I did very few solo drops. To me the key if youre solo is to identify the opposing group, and do your best to get them out early. All in all day was a favorable experience in my book. Hopefully it will continue!

Exactly another negative point you mention here. The amount of obnoxious meta builds increased as well. This patch literally killed every positive aspect you found in QP so far.

Let's be honest here for a second. If people who group up now were really interested in competetive group play the group queue wouldn't be dead. Instead you see people squeeze the maximum of advantage out of for themselves (4 men group, meta builds, mech types which complement each other etc) just to make the most efficient seal clubbing group. And why? To swell their epeen and urinate on others fun.

As I said before, my experience from yesterday and today was completely different than yours. 90% crap games and 10% close ones.
It seems what now adds to the hideous MM is that the team which has the "pro" group gets carried because a 4 men meta wolfpack can obliterate 1-2 mechs in seconds which means for the team with the less or no "pro" group that there is no comeback.
I see zero reason why I should wait a couple of minutes to get into a game for this "experience" because neither rolling nor being steamrolled is fun to me and I am self-confident enough that I do not need an epeen stroking to feel better.

You know, World of Warcraft had the same problem when they introduced battlegrounds. Groups even scouted to figure out if they had to face another group (by sending only 1 of them in before pressing "join"). If there was an enemy group, the rest didn't join. And Of course, these pros claimed that they wanted competetive play and a challenge and play with friends bla bla bla
Then Blizzard seperated group and casual queues. Guess what happened? Group queue was dead. Since then I heartily laugh at people who claim they want organized competetive matches when they join in a group single player queues. Of course, there may be others but I do not believe that the majority wants a real challenge

Edited by Weeny Machine, 29 April 2020 - 07:57 AM.

#44 bilagaana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:19 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 27 April 2020 - 08:18 PM, said:

I made an alt a little while ago and played out the cadet games. From my experience, players at t4-5 are *substantially* worse than at higher tiers.

Same here. It's common to see posts by players who've gotten some experience under their belts, wistfully longing for their days in Tiers 4-5, when the game was "fun." If you believe that and (justifiably) complain about the PSR system ruining your upper tier experience by promoting unskilled players, all I can suggest is activate a smurf account and have a go. Especially with the current low population, you'll be rapidly cured of any misguided nostalgia.

What concerns me, based on what I've experienced of the new combined queues and tiers system, is that already poor play quality has been further compromised by the apparent injection of even more inexperienced players into what were formerly upper tier QP matches.

Edited by bilagaana, 29 April 2020 - 06:36 AM.

#45 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:12 AM

Part of PGIs troublesome decisionmaking is that they base decisons on the quantitiy of data and do not develop a qualitative sound cause and effect Interpretation out of it thus they light up strawfire to make it warm but dont forsee the freezing afterward.

Edited by Thorqemada, 29 April 2020 - 07:13 AM.

#46 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 29 April 2020 - 06:00 AM, said:

Exactly another negative point you mention here. The amount of obnoxious meta builds increased as well. This patch literally killed every positive aspect you found in QP so far.

Let's be honest here for a second. If people who group up now were really interested in competetive group play the group queue wouldn't be dead. Instead you see people squeeze the maximum of advantage out of for themselves (4 men group, meta builds, mech types which complement each other etc) just to make the most efficient seal clubbing group. And why? To swell their epeen and urinate on others fun.

As I said before, my experience from yesterday and today was completely different than yours. 90% crap games and 10% close ones.
It seems what now adds to the hideous MM is that the team which has the "pro" group gets carried because a 4 men meta wolfpack can obliterate 1-2 mechs in seconds which means for the team with the less or no "pro" group that there is no comeback.
I see zero reason why I should wait a couple of minutes to get into a game for this "experience" because neither rolling nor being steamrolled is fun to me and I am self-confident enough that I do not need an epeen stroking to feel better.

You know, World of Warcraft had the same problem when they introduced battlegrounds. Groups even scouted if they had to face another group (by sending only 1 of them in before pressing "join") to avoid other groups. Of course, the pros claimed that they wanted competetive play and a challenge bla bla bla
Then Blizzard seperated group and casual queues. Guess what happened? Group queue was dead. Since then I heartily laugh at people who claim they want organized competetive matches when they join in a group single player queues. Of course, there may be others but I do not believe that the majority wants a real challenge

what are you talking about, epeens, urinating on pugs, competitive play. Nobody, I mean NOBODY said this change was going to results in more competitive matches in qp. The vast majority of good players predicted this will result in a seal clubbing frenzy. PGI went through with it anyways. So now you have good players, playing exactly as they always did elsewhere only in up to 4mans in solo que. Sorry you don't like people playing good builds, but not everyone enjoys dropping a 2 micropulse 2 ERLL 2 machine gun 2 LRM15 timberwolf.

It feels a lot like playing single player, relaxing, but it does get boring quickly. It certainly changed the solo que in many ways

#47 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:43 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 29 April 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

Part of PGIs troublesome decisionmaking is that they base decisons on the quantitiy of data and do not develop a qualitative sound cause and effect Interpretation out of it thus they light up strawfire to make it warm but dont forsee the freezing afterward.

there's no real data to base anything on, though; there's just a mess of numbers which tell jack-sh*t about the current state of ANYTHING, cause their numbers (to them, to us, or to the rest of the world) are of "equal quality", if you get what I mean;

if 9 guys can't shoot an ERPPC into a powered-down awesome at 600m, but 1 guy can, they read "the weapon is meh", and buff it. after all, 90% couldn't use it.
the idea that it was maybe 9 new players and one better than-average-joe will never occur to them, because they don't give their numbers 'quality'. and no, the tier-system doesn't produce ANY quality you could link to any numbers. never did.

they have very flawed opinions on "how to gather data" in the first place, and then some more in "how to interpret it".
the biggest problem though: they just. know. better (and hence don't listen to anything, or overthink anything).

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 29 April 2020 - 07:49 AM.

#48 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:54 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 29 April 2020 - 07:34 AM, said:

Nobody, I mean NOBODY said this change was going to results in more competitive matches in qp.

Actually, Paul said exactly this in the announcement thread for the merge. Yeah, that's right, he said it would make matches more competitive. Tells you all you need to know about how PGI is thinking (or not).

#49 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:05 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 29 April 2020 - 07:34 AM, said:

what are you talking about, epeens, urinating on pugs, competitive play. Nobody, I mean NOBODY said this change was going to results in more competitive matches in qp. The vast majority of good players predicted this will result in a seal clubbing frenzy. PGI went through with it anyways. So now you have good players, playing exactly as they always did elsewhere only in up to 4mans in solo que. Sorry you don't like people playing good builds, but not everyone enjoys dropping a 2 micropulse 2 ERLL 2 machine gun 2 LRM15 timberwolf.

It feels a lot like playing single player, relaxing, but it does get boring quickly. It certainly changed the solo que in many ways

You know, there is a difference between dropping in a near nonsense build and a workable one. Usually you see now only the typical meta builds and mechs. Before that you also saw sometimes Blackjacks and Trebs-K etc.
Was that so hard to understand? "lol he hatzes meta builds!!11!" Pffff.

View PostAnomalocaris, on 29 April 2020 - 07:54 AM, said:

Actually, Paul said exactly this in the announcement thread for the merge. Yeah, that's right, he said it would make matches more competitive. Tells you all you need to know about how PGI is thinking (or not).

The sad part is, that it is history repeating (see World of Warcraft).

I hope Paul is in charge of balance for MWO 2 (if they ever create it). Heck, that would be fun to watch. Posted Image

#50 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:20 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 29 April 2020 - 05:53 AM, said:

And even success in a group is not guaranteed, mind you, you will still drop against proverbial EMP lances from time to time. And with tier matchmaking out of farm's way (apparently) it just gets stranger and stranger. Of course all of this can go your way just as likely as not, but if MWO still proclaims itself to be a cybersport game or something this is way out of place. Even in TT dice rolls do not matter that much.

Given that literally nothing in life is actually guaranteed, this statement is just being obvious. However, given that a 4 man of Div A players can count on a 95% or more win ratio regardless of what troll mechs they choose to drop in, what isn't "guaranteed" in the literal sense is more than guaranteed in the practical sense. I know the outcome of those matches before they start, and so does anyone with half a brain. Combine that with the match maker's obnoxious tendency to place with the same teammates against the same opponents for 3 or more matches in a row and you get a recipe for mental breakdown.

#51 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:22 AM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 29 April 2020 - 07:54 AM, said:

lol, you're right, I meant players, but that's still funny

View PostWeeny Machine, on 29 April 2020 - 08:05 AM, said:

"lol I hatzes meta builds!!11!" Pffff.

that's what you sounded like though

honestly there's not even that much meta being dropped (can you even tell me what meta is at this point?)

I saw 4 mans with dakka, srms, lbxs, lasers, mrms, ppcs, and even....ugh....3 lrm boats and a narcer all dominate drops

#52 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:39 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 29 April 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

honestly there's not even that much meta being dropped (can you even tell me what meta is at this point?)

I saw 4 mans with dakka, srms, lbxs, lasers, mrms, ppcs, and even....ugh....3 lrm boats and a narcer all dominate drops

It's almost as if the most dangerous thing to the average PUG is a group or something playing together.

#53 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:49 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 29 April 2020 - 08:20 AM, said:

Given that literally nothing in life is actually guaranteed, this statement is just being obvious. However, given that a 4 man of Div A players can count on a 95% or more win ratio regardless of what troll mechs they choose to drop in, what isn't "guaranteed" in the literal sense is more than guaranteed in the practical sense. I know the outcome of those matches before they start, and so does anyone with half a brain. Combine that with the match maker's obnoxious tendency to place with the same teammates against the same opponents for 3 or more matches in a row and you get a recipe for mental breakdown.

There is no tendency, more of an algorithm function. The matchmaker sees 24 people queue up at the same time, it launches them together. If there were more population and thus more matches launching at the same time there would be more player diversity. Just wait it out for some time and you will drop with someone else.

#54 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:54 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 29 April 2020 - 05:31 AM, said:

That's because you only hear from the people who were grouping and not the solo players, who are largely irrelevant in any match with a half decent premade. Playing the game solo sucks now. It's group or get farmed, which is bad. There's nothing I can do in the current quick play that I couldn't do in 8v8 group queue. The only thing I can't do now is enjoy a decent a solo match, because no such thing exists. PGI has patched it out of the game.

I think a good solo player can still have a solid affect on a match especially if they work with the group in their match. Also, some of the groups are so poor that a good player can counteract them. You could end up with a group of Tier 4-5 players including cadets or you could end up with a team of elite comp players. Obviously this will make a MASSIVE difference in how much affect the team has on the match. I had been playing solo queue quite a bit since group queue had gone dark, but will drop more group now that its viable again. With that said I will be super interested to see how the solo players take this change. I don't see how it can be better for them, and it seems like it can only be worse. Obviously for group players its nice that we can play together again. Maybe more solo players will learn to play well with others?

#55 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:54 AM

well.. might as well update the game and play a few matches, as long as there's still some population left to drop with.
anybody up for an 'Urbie feeding frenzy' ?
4 Urbies and 20 possible kills?
;)

#56 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:07 AM

I dropped solo in one of my alt accounts about a dozen times last night. Getting a match was a lot faster than before but the stomp is strong. I had a couple of good runs but mostly is was stomp or be stomped.
Did one drop with a couple of guys from EMP and barely had time to do any damage before they had two-thirds of the opfor down. Good for my K/D ratio I guess.

The biggest difference I'm seeing is the goofy weight class balancing by the MM, it's all over the place which can be interesting.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#57 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:21 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 29 April 2020 - 08:54 AM, said:

anybody up for an 'Urbie feeding frenzy' ?
4 Urbies and 20 possible kills?
Posted Image

I don't trust this. Urbies are like male rabbits and fight each other to the death. They're mean bastuards.

#58 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:59 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 29 April 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

I don't trust this. Urbies are like male rabbits and fight each other to the death. They're mean bastuards.

but we're mean Bastuardos with rules; GentleUrbs.
Urbie on Urbie action is on after the rest is dead Posted Image
in the end, there can be only one!

Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 29 April 2020 - 01:17 PM.

#59 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:49 PM

Had some more games over a couple of hours this evening, we lost twice I think and won the rest, there were some great matches for sure and one 12-1 stomp. Dropped solo this time, I think I might be winning slightly more often than usual. I'm doing less damage but that's because I bought a Kintaro 18 and played it exclusively. Shout out to MJ12 players who were pretty cool cats, and to PGI for putting 112 points of CT armour onto a medium 'Mech.

Edited by RickySpanish, 29 April 2020 - 05:51 PM.

#60 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:30 PM

yes thanks PGI for overpowering IS mechs to the point of being silly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users