When Can We Expect Custom Player Created Missions?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:20 AM

Are the modding tools able to produce custom missions yet?

Are they gonna be available soon?

I would LOVE to play some custom missions..

#2 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:06 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 08 May 2020 - 12:20 AM, said:

Are the modding tools able to produce custom missions yet?

Are they gonna be available soon?

I would LOVE to play some custom missions..

Believe it or not, the mod tools are very hard to work with. I didn't see any custom map/mission yet.

#3 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:21 PM

I believe I heard that on the NGNG podcast with an MW5 engineer that he expected that there should be some by now and that in light of the complicated pipeline to make them they might make a thread or a demo on how to create some... when? , coming soon ™.

#4 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:34 PM

The MW5 mod editor is the Unreal Engine Editor so basically one needs to be able to know how to create games with UE4 - I would assume that most people would probably just make their own game instead thus limiting it further.

But, the editor is quite complex and yet somewhat simple depending on how much one can ignore and one's ability to understand the technical jargon. I would think most people would look at it and say no, limiting it even more.

My guess is maybe a handful of missions or so could be possible. After that, it gets somewhat difficult to imagine unless one or two people likes to pump them out.

If someone is determined to do it then probably going to be a little bit here and there so as to be able to work and make money. Maybe a year or more from release date. Less only if someone is familiar or picks up UE4 quickly (or can recycle the game making cheap missions).

Edited by SomersetStriker, 11 May 2020 - 07:40 PM.

#5 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:07 AM

I was under the impression that the official mod tools provide map-making tools..

...damn :/

#6 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:31 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 13 May 2020 - 03:07 AM, said:

I was under the impression that the official mod tools provide map-making tools..

...damn :/

It might be possible to work on existing maps, but no, this is the full UE4 editor that they use along with game assets probably.

The mod tutorial

The map creation section

No different than creating a UE4 game outside of MW5 minus having to create or obtain assets. The world has to be shaped and created (unless one can re-use an existing map and then re-work it to save time), triggers and events and all the stuff to make it do stuff has to be created and added, the editor has to be learned, etc.

It shouldn't be be too bad really but creating a nice looking world and having events will just be much slower for someone not familiar here from the learning curve.

Conversely, its easy to create a slab that does nothing.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 13 May 2020 - 04:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users