Jump to content

The Question That Must Be Asked Regarding The Impending Psr Reset.

Social Metagame

47 replies to this topic

#1 VonBruinwald

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 2,497 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:06 AM

Following the PSR being made zero-sum and subsequently reset the first 20 games played will have a multiplier applied for seeding purposes. So here's the question.

Should I:

A - Go full meta and try my hardest to place in as high a tier as possible.

B - Tank those first 20 matches so I can start in T5 and farm pugs to boost my Jarl's rank.

C - Carry on as usual...



Asking for my e-peen Posted Image

-----

Also; remember to take note of stat-warriors who start hiding their Tier badge post-reset...

#2 Gagis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 750 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

D. Try to optimize your favourite mech to its absolute maximum farming potential and record how many games it takes to reach Tier 1 using it. SHD-2D2 for me. Most effective in groups but I don't know if it should be 20 games in our out of group.

#3 dario03

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:43 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 May 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

Following the PSR being made zero-sum and subsequently reset the first 20 games played will have a multiplier applied for seeding purposes. So here's the question.

Should I:

B - Tank those first 20 matches so I can start in T5 and farm pugs to boost my Jarl's rank.




This is a big part of why I said if I was in charge I would have just reset and changed psr and not told anybody for a while. Leave the old system up visually but in the background have the new one.

#4 Willard Phule

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,464 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:14 AM

I don't know about you, but I'm making Tier 5 a goal. 20 games of tongue dragging, LRM spewing complete incompetence.

Then we'll see how long it takes to get back to Tier 1. I'm going to guess less than a week.

#5 Bud Crue

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,214 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:21 AM

(C

As a T3 player trapped in a T1 world, from my perspective, it doesn't matter. Playing meta vs playing my favorites doesn't make much difference to my performance/outcomes. Moreover, playing as I always do is going to be the the most likely way, statistically speaking, to ensure that I end up seeded with players of my skill. Along those same lines, good players are going to do better than average regardless of what they bring, so they are going to end up at a higher tier than me by practical default. The only way I see someone taking advantage/abusing this reset is if they intentionally tank their matches during the 20 game initial seeing period so as to get seeded in in T5. And all that will do, is ensure they stay at the lower tiers for a bit longer than they otherwise would, since even under zero sum PSR they, will inevitably rise if they are in fact skilled players and not intentionally tanking henceforth.

For the vast majority of us trying to game the reset will do nothing. Also, consider Paul's own commentary regarding the valves being pretty much open given the state of the population.

I suspect we will all get new tiers via the reset, and yet, we will still all be playing with the same folks we always have played with.

Edited by Bud Crue, 26 May 2020 - 11:22 AM.


#6 GARION26

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:59 AM

View PostXiphias, on 26 May 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

C)

Play the way you normally play and how you enjoy playing. Let PSR put you into the level you play at. You don't want to play only meta and get punished later if you try to run less meta builds and you shouldn't tank your stats so that you can beat up on weaker players. Play like normal and get placed where you should be (probably T2ish?).




Agree with this - play the way you would normally play. If you enjoy playing atypical non optimized mechs then use those. If you enjoy playing meta mechs play those.

Either way the new PSR system is going to eventually sort it out. But the downside of being Tier 1 in a tier 5 world is sometimes all your team mates are idiots just as much as the opponents.

#7 Nearly Dead

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:31 PM

Just talk to us idiots. I played so many games today with 4 mans from the same unit where no one spoke during the game, even when we asked, "Plan?", "offense or defense?" or "where are we headed?".

The alternative to having and enunciating a plan is Nascar, (which is just human nature, if you have a gun and are right handed you keep cover to your left, and be prepared to shoot as you move around cover. Unless your name is Sinistral something.)

It sucks when people do something other than race to the middle, but the only way to know is to watch the map to see where everyone is going, guess who is moving with purpose and who is milling, and trying to catch up after it is too late.

I can at least absorb missiles and lasers if I know where you are going. And once in a while I can even shoot somebody (somebody red. Note to self, red bad, shoot red, blue good, blue no shoot.)

#8 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 May 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

B - Tank those first 20 matches so I can start in T5 and farm pugs to boost my Jarl's rank.



Definitely : Turning QP into another FP.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 May 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

Also; remember to take note of stat-warriors who start hiding their Tier badge post-reset...

Totally, I'm planning to do that today.

What could go wrong ?

#9 Ignatius Audene

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 486 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:29 PM

Psst. Jarls doesn't include fp.

#10 Davegt27

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,437 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:30 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 May 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

Following the PSR being made zero-sum and subsequently reset the first 20 games played will have a multiplier applied for seeding purposes. So here's the question.

Should I:

A - Go full meta and try my hardest to place in as high a tier as possible.

B - Tank those first 20 matches so I can start in T5 and farm pugs to boost my Jarl's rank.

C - Carry on as usual...




Asking for my e-peen Posted Image

-----

Also; remember to take note of stat-warriors who start hiding their Tier badge post-reset...


I think you should mark your calendar to see how long it takes the same people to start crying about a new subject

#11 SirSmokes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 840 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:43 PM

View PostXiphias, on 26 May 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

C)

Play the way you normally play and how you enjoy playing. Let PSR put you into the level you play at. You don't want to play only meta and get punished later if you try to run less meta builds and you shouldn't tank your stats so that you can beat up on weaker players. Play like normal and get placed where you should be (probably T2ish?).


I've played LRM mechs before. It's not nearly as hard as LRM pilots claim it to be. Position well and pick targets intelligently just like any other mech. I'd bet that I can pilot an LRM mech better than you can.

LRMs aren't hard to avoid (usually), just annoying.


Do 800 damage and 500 match score on solaris consistently then we can talk about this. Anyone can run one on Polar if you are good you can run them well on any map then you know what you are doing most of you guys do not know even now how to dumb fire them at point blank so yea don't have to wait for locks when peaking. Too be good with then you need deep map knowledge and too know how to use them super close I like too be 400 300 when using LRMs. Hell ride it right up too 200

Edited by SirSmokes, 26 May 2020 - 02:12 PM.


#12 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:25 PM

View PostXiphias, on 26 May 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

I've played LRM mechs before. It's not nearly as hard as LRM pilots claim it to be. Position well and pick targets intelligently just like any other mech. I'd bet that I can pilot an LRM mech better than you can.

LRMs aren't hard to avoid (usually), just annoying.

Well my claim was always that LRMs require a different set of skills, then twitch skills. And yes LRMs even warn you they're coming, they're annoyingly nice.

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 26 May 2020 - 01:29 PM, said:

Psst. Jarls doesn't include fp.

Then it's irrelevant : I only use QP for leveling up new mechs and completing events...
Anyway by "Turning QP into another FP", I mean QP balance is going to drop through the floor after the reset at first : Tier 4 will be what the current Tier 1 mess is, but with even more low skilled players mixed in it. Maybe start new accounts in Tier 5 instead of Tier 4.

#13 SirSmokes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 840 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:36 PM

View PostWarning incoming Humble Dexterer, on 26 May 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

Well my claim was always that LRMs require a different set of skills, then twitch skills. And yes LRMs even warn you they're coming, they're annoyingly nice.


Then it's irrelevant : I only use QP for leveling up new mechs and completing events...
Anyway by "Turning QP into another FP", I mean QP balance is going to drop through the floor after the reset at first : Tier 4 will be what the current Tier 1 mess is, but with even more low skilled players mixed in it. Maybe start new accounts in Tier 5 instead of Tier 4.


That why you want to use them close there no time to get out of the way Posted Image

Edited by SirSmokes, 26 May 2020 - 02:37 PM.


#14 Tarl Cabot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 6,916 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:48 PM

Tier reset and PSR Zero Sum threshold will put us back where we are at now if the Zero Sum portion is to ONLY change on a loss. You all did catch that, hai? That threshold is 400 Matchscore.. let that sink in a little bit...

Graph to show where the thresholds have been calculated. Players who have a 171 MS average after playing 25K+ games are in Tiers 1 and 2. And Paul believes they are there because they are doing FANTASTIC only on losses?

How REDACTED is that? For a loss, I see real reason to change the Loss thresholds, it is the low ceiling the Winning thresholds are set at, essentially a Participation Reward.

Quote

There's still an elephant in the room. PSR calculations. Yes it's true that it biases upward movement. That bias comes from the formula currently saying that if you LOSE, you can still move up if you perform well. THIS is the aspect that breaks zero sum distribution



Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 May 2020 - 03:55 PM.


#15 Xiphias

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 847 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:35 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 26 May 2020 - 01:43 PM, said:

Do 800 damage and 500 match score on solaris consistently then we can talk about this. Anyone can run one on Polar if you are good you can run them well on any map then you know what you are doing most of you guys do not know even now how to dumb fire them at point blank so yea don't have to wait for locks when peaking. Too be good with then you need deep map knowledge and too know how to use them super close I like too be 400 300 when using LRMs. Hell ride it right up too 200

You aren't consistently getting 500 match score on Solaris City. Do it, prove it, and then we can talk.

I've run a Treb with a pair of LRM 10's and shoot within my ML range (300-400m), rather anemic these days with all the AMS though since you need more tubes to punch through. You CAN dumbfire LRMs at close range, but it isn't particularly effective or really a good idea in most cases. Deep map knowledge that pretty much every light or brawler mech needs to have to get close enough to use their weapons?

Yes, a good player can run a LRM mech well on any map. No, LRM mechs don't require a particularly special skill set that is harder than what other mechs run. It just not nearly as hard as you make it out to be. Also, there's no point these days in not switching to ATMs anyway for easy mode poptart damage farming since they do everything that LRMs do and better.

#16 SirSmokes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 840 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:44 PM

View PostXiphias, on 26 May 2020 - 06:35 PM, said:

You aren't consistently getting 500 match score on Solaris City. Do it, prove it, and then we can talk.

I've run a Treb with a pair of LRM 10's and shoot within my ML range (300-400m), rather anemic these days with all the AMS though since you need more tubes to punch through. You CAN dumbfire LRMs at close range, but it isn't particularly effective or really a good idea in most cases. Deep map knowledge that pretty much every light or brawler mech needs to have to get close enough to use their weapons?

Yes, a good player can run a LRM mech well on any map. No, LRM mechs don't require a particularly special skill set that is harder than what other mechs run. It just not nearly as hard as you make it out to be. Also, there's no point these days in not switching to ATMs anyway for easy mode poptart damage farming since they do everything that LRMs do and better.


Never said it was harder did I? All I said was most people are not as good at it as they thinking anyways I do love you guys going after me in quick play it's amusing

Edited by SirSmokes, 26 May 2020 - 06:44 PM.


#17 Ekson Valdez

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:36 PM



@all: Stay on topic and keep the discussion constructive, or I'll lock the thread.



#18 Vellron2005

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,233 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:54 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 26 May 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

Following the PSR being made zero-sum and subsequently reset the first 20 games played will have a multiplier applied for seeding purposes. So here's the question.

Should I:

A - Go full meta and try my hardest to place in as high a tier as possible.

B - Tank those first 20 matches so I can start in T5 and farm pugs to boost my Jarl's rank.

C - Carry on as usual...




Asking for my e-peen Posted Image

-----

Also; remember to take note of stat-warriors who start hiding their Tier badge post-reset...


it doesn't matter because the game population is so low you end up playing with all tiers anyway..

#19 Aidan Crenshaw

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:57 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 27 May 2020 - 01:54 AM, said:


it doesn't matter because the game population is so low you end up playing with all tiers anyway..


I don't think so. Following Paul's recent posts, PSR deviation has been quite tight the past days, without a significant rise of wait-time.

#20 VonBruinwald

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 2,497 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:46 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 27 May 2020 - 01:57 AM, said:


I don't think so. Following Paul's recent posts, PSR deviation has been quite tight the past days, without a significant rise of wait-time.


He's also saying matches are now within 1% of pre-stomp levels. But still...





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users