494 replies to this topic

#481 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 05:15 PM

Hi Revener
I think the ARROR your seeing means nothing, if you can not make over a match score of 250, then you will never go up in tier group, so playing lights and even some mediums for most players is not something you do not want to do,
That was set after i bunch of folks complained about having to play with newbies, and figured it would fix the MATCH MAKING, and it totaled failed in my mind, just last night i got 2 kills 5 assist, 1 kill most damage, OH and 1 head shot, dumb light should never stand still when SAWK runs Rail guns : ), anyway i did 289 damage, and got 198 match score, it was 1 of the few times i see tier 1 players, i totaly suck, i am only tier 4.7, so i was not moving in as fast as them, and used range, and then fight ended with 12 to 1 we win.
SO like ME you must except the fact, that you are not in the top 10%, unless you can play with a 250 match score, on every platform light to assault, you really got no reason to play mech, try staying with heavy or assaults, or find a team, so you stop looking at tier level, i pretty much run solo, i just like getting the kills : )
Sawk

#482 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 November 2020 - 01:04 AM

View PostRevener, on 29 November 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

"Player WINS:
Match Score: 0-100 does not move."

But I just won with a score of 88 and it said it went down, got the red arrow instead of a = . With one of my light mech, was basically impossible to do more in that match since I got instantly targeted no matter where I tried to get damage in from

That formula no longer applies. Read up: https://mwomercs.com...ity-version-10/

#483 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:00 AM

Brios made a really good explanation video https://youtu.be/JFqlZXOVtdw

#484 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:40 AM

View PostHorseman, on 30 November 2020 - 01:04 AM, said:

That formula no longer applies. Read up: https://mwomercs.com...ity-version-10/

oh I see , well that was one crap formula that basically only let me play assaulty mechs (since it is easy to do damage in them = easy match score) if I want my PSR to go up, that is boring.

#485 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:53 PM

View PostRevener, on 05 December 2020 - 07:40 AM, said:

oh I see , well that was one crap formula that basically only let me play assaulty mechs (since it is easy to do damage in them = easy match score) if I want my PSR to go up, that is boring.

My road to tier 1 was paved almost entirely by mediums and heavies in the 45-65 ton range, with the exception of a fair few in an urbie which I suppose counts as an assault.

If you find yourself struggling to grind tier... maybe that is an indicator that tier is neither something that should be ground nor an achievement in itself. It just means better skilled opponents. If you try and game the system to end up there, you're going to suffer when you do.

Focus perhaps on getting better, and let nature unfold from there.

#486 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:45 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 06 December 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

My road to tier 1 was paved almost entirely by mediums and heavies in the 45-65 ton range, with the exception of a fair few in an urbie which I suppose counts as an assault.

If you find yourself struggling to grind tier... maybe that is an indicator that tier is neither something that should be ground nor an achievement in itself. It just means better skilled opponents. If you try and game the system to end up there, you're going to suffer when you do.

Focus perhaps on getting better, and let nature unfold from there.

Well my point was mostly that it is easier the more damage you do = easier to do it with assaults.
Although playing AMS umbrella with a nova or kit fox seemed to work too. :)

#487 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 08:47 PM

View PostRevener, on 16 December 2020 - 07:45 PM, said:

Well my point was mostly that it is easier the more damage you do = easier to do it with assaults.
Although playing AMS umbrella with a nova or kit fox seemed to work too. :)

Personally, I do more damage in mediums and heavies than assaults, because I'm not a particularly good positional player and being able to reposition better keeps me alive long enough to do something useful. I understand that issue and will work on it, but that's a me problem.

Most of people I've seen saying "play assaults to grind tier" are 1) somewhere between bad and average 2) particularly bad in assaults. The difference is I know I am bad in assaults and don't pretend they're an easy way to appear good. Someone who actually is great in assaults is not going to making up excuses about tier mechanics.

As for AMS, it's like LRM Fafnirs. Yeah you might have a really high MS on Polar once, that's offset by the next 5 games on Mining collective and Solaris City.

#488 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:43 PM

View Postnuttyrat, on 04 June 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

Glad to hear that this is coming! Taking to Kurlon he brought up a good question .. how big is the PSR bar in each Tier?

Paul has never gone into detail on this.

From this post we glimpsed the following:

View PostPaul Inouye, on 04 May 2020 - 12:52 PM, said:

Average Tier separation between teams: ~300 (tightened from ~1800)

If I was to speculate I would say the PSR bar is goes from 0-2500 in 500 increments. Possibly 0-2000 in 400 increments.

If you look at the images in that post when PSR was tightened you got spreads below 200 which I would guess is single tier games.
When it was loosened off you got a spread of 1800 which could conceivably cover all 5 tiers.

#489 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:49 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 January 2021 - 05:43 PM, said:

If I was to speculate I would say the PSR bar is goes from 0-2500 in 500 increments. Possibly 0-2000 in 400 increments.

If you look at the images in that post when PSR was tightened you got spreads below 200 which I would guess is single tier games.
When it was loosened off you got a spread of 1800 which could conceivably cover all 5 tiers.

0 to 5000 in single point increments. 5000 is tier 1 maxed. Each game can shift you between about -24 to +34.

1800 spread is horrendous for team difference. It means 1 team can average 4500- mid tier 1- and the other 2700, all well down tier 3.

#490 Hier koennte Ihre Werbung stehen

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:11 PM

View PostRevener, on 16 December 2020 - 07:45 PM, said:

Although playing AMS umbrella with a nova or kit fox seemed to work too. Posted Image

AMS is a real MatchScore Booster.

#491 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:47 AM

This change does not make team work critical... it makes scoring high critical if I can always get 400+ ill keep going up but if I get under 100 the best I can hope for from a win is = but risk dropping 5.

So rather than risking myself to benefit the team I'm better off just taking builds and playing in a way that ensures a high score my team be damned.

If score was actually a reflection on team contributing rather than being so inherently tied to damage this might work but as it stands anyone who cares about PSR is pushed hard into running heavier mechs rather than playing what they enjoy/are good at.

This is already putting people who play heavier mechs into tiers they are not having fun in because their skill isn't actually there and holding higher skill players out lower tiers using lighter mechs.

PSR should be tied more inherently to your win/loss ratio. If you are winning significantly more often than you are losing you should go up as odds are you are carrying your teams. if you are losing more often than you are winning you need to be dropped back down.

teams are random so the more games that are played the more the ratio of being on a good team vs a bad team will equal out so the only constant variable is you tipping the odds for how often you are wining.

So if you are playing in a way that results in you having a high score but ultimately isn't benefiting your team your not going to keep going up. And if you are playin in ways that help the team out but don't score well your not going to be penalized in PSR.

Phytologically this would be detrimentally as any streak of being on bad teams would leave a player as feeling helpless even if they were no more common than being on a streak of good teams.

To combat this it would be better to hide the PSR and then add in a seasonal ranking that was displayed to the player and went up or down based more on the system the current PSR uses.

Edited by Cichol Balor, 22 January 2021 - 03:02 AM.

#492 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:36 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 21 January 2021 - 07:49 PM, said:

0 to 5000 in single point increments. 5000 is tier 1 maxed. Each game can shift you between about -24 to +34.

1800 spread is horrendous for team difference. It means 1 team can average 4500- mid tier 1- and the other 2700, all well down tier 3.

And that's why secondary balancing after the 24 players are selected is needed. You'd never have a very big spread because math ;)

#493 Pappadakka

Rookie

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:34 AM

Player LOSES:
Match Score: 0-100 goes down in PSR by -3
Match Score: 101-250 goes down in PSR by -1
Match Score: 251-400 =
Match Score: 401+ +1

Player WINS:
Match Score: 0-150 psr -1
Match Score: 151-250 goes up in PSR by +0
Match Score: 251-350 goes up in PSR by +1
Match Score: 351-450 goes up in PSR by +3
450+ +5

This seems more accurate currently because i know i have seen my PSR go up on a lost

#494 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:40 AM

Wrong, Pappadakka. This was the old system, the new one is much more sophisticated. Check Brios' excellent YT vid about it!
https://youtu.be/JFqlZXOVtdw

#495 Dread Priestess Shakira

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 05:04 PM

I know this thread is rather old, but so far I have never seen anybody mention if Matchscore is calculated differently each match based upon win conditions, and/or mech weight class or loadout and skill build. All of these factors could have significant impact. A light mech that does not fire a single shot during a conquest match, but individually secures 375 resources from base occupations should most certainly be rewarded for playing to the match objective and contributing so much to their team's win. perhaps more so if they are skilled specifically into capture assist, as it indicates they are playing their intended role during the match, while contributing so significantly to their team's win. it is also unfortunately that there is no way to accurately verify a player's contributions through verbal communication with their team. balancing this function certainly proves to be no simple task. thank you to all the developers committed to attempting to resolve this to the best of the game's capacity given the cross-section of active players we are working with at any given time. i can easily understand how your could offer several different methods of calculation for matchmaking and not be satisfied with a single one for some reason or another, as each one has its own unique strengths and issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users