Skilled Pilot Event

57 replies to this topic

#21 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationAnywhere but here, and the lights in my bays are off.

Posted 20 June 2020 - 12:35 AM

View PostTheUltimateGhost, on 19 June 2020 - 01:16 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

literally this ^^

like, "earn missile damage", "destroy missiles" etc... those are all things you don't need skill for

maybe make an event like "do more than 1000 damage in one match using a wolfhound" Posted Image

Pardon my differing opinion (and you don't need to argue with it as this is just my viewpoint, even if it is shared by others... Simply put, I thought this should be noted as people saying these things don't need skill really sounds like trolling), but I actually think it takes some skill to utilize AMS and Lock-On Missiles properly. Why, you might now ask? KEEP READING! :huh:

I'm going to add a helpful side-thought here before I get to the rest....... It takes even more skill & effort when one's body is suffering from a permanent condition where their arms & body shake, and even when they're trying to hold perfectly still, which means part of their attention is disrupted with trying to keep that under control while they're on the battlefield. No, not everyone can just take medical drugs to help with it, as every person's body reacts differently to those things, and other people can easily end up harmed by trying to use those prescriptions. <_<

Now, for the AMS's specific case, a person has to position their Mech in the right spot, and it takes some semblance of skill to have proper positioning. This includes taking notice of more than what's in front of the Pilot's Mech, as they must look all around in order to locate where they have to be to intercept those aerial streams properly. Otherwise, their AMS system can't properly reach the Incoming Enemy Missiles to wipe them away in time, which should be before the Enemy Missiles can do disruptive damage to their Teammates' Mechs. Sure, the AMS may shoot on it's own, however the Mech's Pilot also has to be aware of this, which means they have to possess the skill to manage the Heat with LAMS and/or the Ammo with Normal AMS on-board. Otherwise, they will end up either an 'AMS Ammo-less Mech' or 'Overheated sitting duck', both of which are bad situations to be in. :mellow:

As for the Lock-On Missiles, it takes skill here too, because one must find the right places to be in order to do any launching at all. Firing those blasted Lock-On Missiles can NOT be done from just anywhere, as they have to both be In-Range plus have a trajectory that avoids striking the terrain with more than 5% (I would have said less, like 1%, but there have been too many unnecessary nerfs against Lock-On Missiles.) of the Missiles fired. Further, it is necessary to keep re-positioning in order to meet the needs of the Team in such further order as to not have to call for help often for preventing some Enemy Mech from sneaking and messing up the whole team, that 'Lock-On Missile'-Firing Pilot included. Now obviously it shouldn't be possible to just idle in one place at 1100 meters and fire all day long, as one MUST stick with the Team at a more proper Range in order to help everyone survive. But, keeping those Missiles fully Locked, at the same time avoiding being damaged too heavily to keep supporting, is still a skill-requiring item through need of finding such reasonable placement. Pilots using those are NOT allowed to Torso Twist their Mech due to the Locking Systems in order to keep the Missiles flying on the target against the Enemy's Mech, therefore meaning that they run a far higher risk of being cored out on their Center Torso location. It's NOT just some simple keep-in-the-box thing due to having to remain in motion at least half the time, and it became unnecessarily hard when it was limited to keeping it right on the center of that thin box. Heck, after the locking angle was limited to the very center of that small box only, it literally reached the point of being just downright unfair toward anyone with the kind of disability that I described above where the Mech's Pilot has to fight their own body's shaking to keep the reticle on the mark. If anything, the Locking Angle needs to be widened by at least 1.5 to 2 Degrees, just to make Lock-On Weapons at least lightly balanced versus everything else again, particularly for disabled people, let alone those with slower computers who can't handle the brawl/facetank and don't have the Real $$$ to go upgrade. :angry:

Hell, don't even try to ask those disability-afflicted people to hold Ballistic and/or Energy weapons perfectly level & stable, as they really can't hold it anywhere near as perfectly to how others rudely think they should. Further, don't ask anyone with a slow computer and/or a lack of 'Improved Gyros' Skill Nodes to do that either, as the shaking from Incoming Enemy Fire WILL throw their aim regardless of Skill Node Status on their Mechs. Which, by the way, this has wrongfully forced me to speak from personal experience. While I may not be a bed-ridden shaking mess, the shaking that I have to deal with keeps coming and going but without leaving me fully alone. Learn from my suffering already, as well as the troubles that you should now be able to see that others feel! I've already learned that I'm not alone with these problems. :(

Also of useful thought, not all combat is done entirely in damage. A fair chunk of it is done through the skills needed in order to have Strategy, Information Provision, and Communication amongst the Team's members. Without these, all a Team happens to be is merely a rag-tag bunch of easily-beaten PUGs & Potatos that can be steamrolled over. More of thought, without these, there really isn't anything like Detection Of Prime Threats, Focused Fire, Team Cohesion, Situational Analysis & Adjustment, Team Action Concensus, or even just generally getting paid for keeping one's own Teammates alive & fighting on the battlefields. Lack of that critical TeamWork ends up resulting in a Team that is back-stabbing each other toxically through not helping each other, resulting in a bad Match for that side of the Battle. :o

Oh, and one last note... If you & others like you EVER want a large game population once again, then all of you will need to push towards getting away from the 'Current Hidden Requirement' of "a Perfect Body and Super-Fast Computer" to play properly. Otherwise, when this historically bloody period of time caused by the pandemic ends, MWO may thoroughly tank into the basement, failing to have any chance of surviving. Trust me when I tell you, MWO used to be a lot more fun and appealed to far more types of people, until it was torn down into feeling like a messed-up cross between the games of "World Of Tanks", "Hawken", and "Call Of Duty" as mixed in a boiling pot. I would think instead that you want this game to revive, grow, and survive for a minimum of another 20 years at the least? -_-

~Mr. D. V. "Force me to vent over topics like this? Consider this rather Ultimate Warning as being given!" Devnull

[One short Edit on the 2nd Paragraph by Post's Author because of a noticeable flow break. It's been fixed.]
[Second short Edit by this Post's Author when they realized there was accidental redundancy in wording on the final paragraph. Now fixed too!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 20 June 2020 - 12:58 AM.

#22 Horseman

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 3,296 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 June 2020 - 01:00 AM

For the headshot challenge I just dusted off my PIR-2 and hunted for AFKs / discos.

#23 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:33 AM

View PostHorseman, on 20 June 2020 - 01:00 AM, said:

For the headshot challenge I just dusted off my PIR-2 and hunted for AFKs / discos.

Heh... you lucky stiff... :P

On the flipside, I'm unfortunately hearing from someone else that they could not catch a single AFK/Disco to smack in the Mech Noggin for scoring that. I have the feeling that I may end up suffering the same fate as them. :(

~D. V. "I can only hope my luck will be as good as yours, but I'm not banking on it." Devnull

#24 Horseman

• 3,296 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:57 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 20 June 2020 - 02:33 AM, said:

Heh... you lucky stiff... Posted Image

On the flipside, I'm unfortunately hearing from someone else that they could not catch a single AFK/Disco to smack in the Mech Noggin for scoring that. I have the feeling that I may end up suffering the same fate as them. Posted Image

~D. V. "I can only hope my luck will be as good as yours, but I'm not banking on it." Devnull

Sometimes you get them in a handful of matches, sometimes it takes a couple dozen... with a fast enough mech (and a max engine PIR definitely counts), it's just a matter of getting in the right match, and you only need the headshot once. Come on man, you have almost two weeks to do it. :)

In general, I find that it's preferable to start on the more difficult scoring goals (headshots, hit & runs, anything that requires deliberate action from your end) immediately and the others will just tick along anyway. If you do it the other way, chances are you'll end up scoring well in excess of what you actually needed for the "easy" goals and spending hell of a lot more time to do so.

Edited by Horseman, 20 June 2020 - 03:09 AM.

#25 Wishmast3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 03:41 AM

Posted Image

#26 Lockheed_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:54 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 20 June 2020 - 03:41 AM, said:

Posted Image

Got mine with 1 AC20 + 2 SnubPPCs + 2 tons of luck

#27 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSkye

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:11 AM

Annihilators are relatively easy to get headshots.

When they stand still.

Up close.

Not shooting at you.

In daylight.

#28 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:19 AM

He ducked into it. Kinda went boom after that. Sorry. BOOM!

#29 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSkye

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

Found a lone, unmoving Shadow Hawk on River City and put an AC 20 round into the cockpit chair.

Headshot secured :)

See? It can be done.

#30 TomatoTyson

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:56 PM

Does anyone else dislike the UAV detection challenges? I feel like it's more a 'rushing with a light 'mech then trying to launch a UAV' kind of thing then actually about skillfully using a UAV. To my understanding, a UAV detection is when you detect a mech that hasn't been targeted yet with a UAV, so you almsot have to rush in to get them. Or maybe I'm just bad, that's probable as well.

#31 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:24 AM

View PostTomatoTyson, on 20 June 2020 - 11:56 PM, said:

Does anyone else dislike the UAV detection challenges? I feel like it's more a 'rushing with a light 'mech then trying to launch a UAV' kind of thing then actually about skillfully using a UAV. To my understanding, a UAV detection is when you detect a mech that hasn't been targeted yet with a UAV, so you almsot have to rush in to get them. Or maybe I'm just bad, that's probable as well.

I'm sorry to report, but to the best of my knowledge, your understanding is slightly off. :(

The earning of the UAV Detection action's registration can occur on the same Mech more than once. Further, it is triggered upon only your UAV sighting an Enemy Mech while nobody else is sighting it. It does NOT have to be like Scouting (which by the way IS the one where you have to sight it first, and only can happen once during a Match), and this earnable action CAN happen at any time during a Match's progress. :)

I hope your reading this post helps you have a better time with getting the UAV Detection action rewards. Don't panic, and they'll just roll in naturally when you seemingly hit-and-run the Enemy with your UAV launches. ;)

~Mr. D. V. "kindly sharing how a UAV Detection works" Devnull

#32 TomatoTyson

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:37 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 21 June 2020 - 12:24 AM, said:

I'm sorry to report, but to the best of my knowledge, your understanding is slightly off. Posted Image

The earning of the UAV Detection action's registration can occur on the same Mech more than once. Further, it is triggered upon only your UAV sighting an Enemy Mech while nobody else is sighting it. It does NOT have to be like Scouting (which by the way IS the one where you have to sight it first, and only can happen once during a Match), and this earnable action CAN happen at any time during a Match's progress. Posted Image

I hope your reading this post helps you have a better time with getting the UAV Detection action rewards. Don't panic, and they'll just roll in naturally when you seemingly hit-and-run the Enemy with your UAV launches. Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "kindly sharing how a UAV Detection works" Devnull

Well it was to do with me being bad then! thanks for that

Edit: Yep 100% you were right thanks so much, I'd like to formally apologise for my stupidity :)

Edited by TomatoTyson, 21 June 2020 - 12:50 AM.

#33 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:07 AM

View PostTomatoTyson, on 21 June 2020 - 12:37 AM, said:

I'd like to formally apologise for my stupidity Posted Image

Eh... You don't have to go quite that far. I'm not like those "Choice-Limiting, Toxic-Minded, MetaMech-Force-Feeding Tryhards" which I've run into that condescend on everyone. I'm just glad I could help you understand the UAV a bit better. :P

~D. V. "No apologies needed. I understand when someone is still learning MWO." Devnull

#34 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 363 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:12 AM

So my understanding of "Capture Assist" on Conquest, which IS AS LIKELY TO BE WRONG AS RIGHT, is that you get it if you run through a capture point, and it is then captured by the people behind you. The other option might be that you get it when you did any capturing, and subsequently win the match. I'm not sure if winning is required to be "by capture", but Conquest technically always wins "by capture", it just jumps to the end once all the enemies are killed, short-cutting the wait.

That said I'm a bit bummed that they dropped the requirement from 5 to 1, because it's more than possible for players to play 5 (or 10) Conquest matches in 12 days... (We're two days in, and most people have finished those, already, anyway, if they like to cap points during conquest matches).

#35 Horseman

• 3,296 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:42 PM

The headshot requirement is just plain silly, yes. Most of the time in a drop you're trying to kill the enemy and there is no time to precision snipe the cockpit hitbox if you want to survive the fight.

That's why I cheese it against AFKs/DCs

Edited by Horseman, 21 June 2020 - 02:43 PM.

#36 Gladiolix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

The best way of doing the headshot challenge legit, is by heavy gauss. Second best maybe awesome 8Q with triple hppc. Those two pretty much guarantee a kill if you hit their head. Next best thing is 2 reg gauss rilfes and 2 hppcs. Just aim in the general area of the head, if you miss, you hit CT so not that bad anyways.

Got myself two headshots in one game with BJ-3 with dual heavy ppc Posted Image Was also surprised that no one accused me of cheating that game Posted Image

EDIT: I dislike and suck at using flamers but shutdown mechs are pretty easy headshots, just saying ;)

Edited by Gladiolix, 21 June 2020 - 03:33 PM.

#37 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

I was happy the event started on Friday evening Oceania timezone, that sometimes gets missed. Bit of a shame the game itself had ****** weekend in terms of running/loading into matches etc. I sometimes dropped in a full minute late, which is fun with the borked set-up of drop points in some maps. (that was sarcasm)

Lots of lag, rubberbanding, kill-shotted a friendly who jittered from off to my left to fully in front of me while heavy lasering a damaged assault. It did look like they basically ended up face-hugging that red mech, so wonder how much fire they got from others, but I got the teamkill...

I do not understand the 12 day run time and bugger headshot requirements. It sounds cool in principle, but for those of us who play this game, the hitreg and hitboxes are too much of a mess to make that an indicator of skill in any way shape or form for the average player. It does explain the resurgsence of flamer mechs and people zooming off to hunt disco's.

I like the seperate damage, components and kill/kmdd counters. Gives you a sense of progression of sorts. XP is a bit too vaguely counted to achieve that for me.

#38 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 363 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:19 PM

View Postpseudofiction, on 21 June 2020 - 06:39 AM, said:

The headshot requirement is just plain dumb idea by PGI. I'm pretty sure at least half of the headshot kills are made against disconnected enemies – a true indication of skill. With most builds it's pretty much impossible to score headshot kill unless somebody else already skillfully headshoted the enemy and didn't get the kill and you just chip away the remaining hitpoint with your splash weapon, mostly often by accident, again a true indication of skill. I guess using LBX or missiles and to lesser extend lasers makes you skilless moron. Of course they want us to pay for the premium with real money rather than earn it through truly skillful play, even if it's just one event instance.

View PostHorseman, on 21 June 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

The headshot requirement is just plain silly, yes. Most of the time in a drop you're trying to kill the enemy and there is no time to precision snipe the cockpit hitbox if you want to survive the fight.

That's why I cheese it against AFKs/DCs

So, something that most players don't seem to realize, still, is that two or three years ago, now, PGI turned off the head hitbox on disconnected 'mechs. If someone connected and is merely AFK, they're fair game, but if they're disconnected from the match server, only 7 of the 8 hitboxes will take damage, and a perfectly aimed headshot will do literally nothing.

#39 Horseman

• 3,296 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:13 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 21 June 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

So, something that most players don't seem to realize, still, is that two or three years ago, now, PGI turned off the head hitbox on disconnected 'mechs.
Nope, they didn't. What's actually going on is that the hitboxes on disco mechs don't line up properly and tend to be a little above (or below) their position on the model.

#40 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 363 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:08 AM

View PostHorseman, on 21 June 2020 - 10:13 PM, said:

Nope, they didn't. What's actually going on is that the hitboxes on disco mechs don't line up properly and tend to be a little above (or below) their position on the model.

Really? How does that glitch work, then? I tried headshotting a DC Locust a few years ago, now, and was doing zero damage to the 'mech despite a clear hit and the crosshairs turning red, and was informed at that time that they'd turned off the head hitbox. I think I tried it one or two more times to be sure, and it never worked on a DC after that, so I've been trying to PSA to let people know they shouldn't waste their time on DC's, and that it's only AFK's that work. I'll have to try DC hunting, again and see if I can figure that one out. Any idea which it is? Higher or lower? Or does it vary? (Thus making a Piranha 2 the perfect choice to lightly probe, then alpha once the head is found?)

View Postpseudofiction, on 22 June 2020 - 02:29 AM, said:

Regardless of how headshotting on dc players work, I put dc and idle players into the same bag. Reason why the mech stayed at the spawn is completely irrelevant for the purposes of judging the absurdity of this prerequisite because of how little effort it takes to kill them in whichever way. I actually wanted to correct my post to say dc/afk but didn’t think anybody would nitpick on that... especially since it was only part of my message... silly me, we are on the internet, there is always someone to nitpick. I can only applaud to players who completed the event by getting their headshot with pinpoint weapons during an actual battle or were quick-witted enough to bring those lasers to enemies head during shutdown, although I fear you are tiny minority.

I was just trying to PSA, but it seems more research is necessary.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 22 June 2020 - 03:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users