Posted Image

#22 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:11 AM

Annihilators are relatively easy to get headshots.

When they stand still.

Up close.

Not shooting at you.

In daylight.

#23 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:19 AM

He ducked into it. Kinda went boom after that. Sorry. BOOM!

#24 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

Found a lone, unmoving Shadow Hawk on River City and put an AC 20 round into the cockpit chair.

Headshot secured :)

See? It can be done.

#25 TomatoTyson

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:56 PM

Does anyone else dislike the UAV detection challenges? I feel like it's more a 'rushing with a light 'mech then trying to launch a UAV' kind of thing then actually about skillfully using a UAV. To my understanding, a UAV detection is when you detect a mech that hasn't been targeted yet with a UAV, so you almsot have to rush in to get them. Or maybe I'm just bad, that's probable as well.

#26 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:24 AM

View PostTomatoTyson, on 20 June 2020 - 11:56 PM, said:

Does anyone else dislike the UAV detection challenges? I feel like it's more a 'rushing with a light 'mech then trying to launch a UAV' kind of thing then actually about skillfully using a UAV. To my understanding, a UAV detection is when you detect a mech that hasn't been targeted yet with a UAV, so you almsot have to rush in to get them. Or maybe I'm just bad, that's probable as well.

I'm sorry to report, but to the best of my knowledge, your understanding is slightly off. :(

The earning of the UAV Detection action's registration can occur on the same Mech more than once. Further, it is triggered upon only your UAV sighting an Enemy Mech while nobody else is sighting it. It does NOT have to be like Scouting (which by the way IS the one where you have to sight it first, and only can happen once during a Match), and this earnable action CAN happen at any time during a Match's progress. :)

I hope your reading this post helps you have a better time with getting the UAV Detection action rewards. Don't panic, and they'll just roll in naturally when you seemingly hit-and-run the Enemy with your UAV launches. ;)

~Mr. D. V. "kindly sharing how a UAV Detection works" Devnull

#27 TomatoTyson

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:37 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 21 June 2020 - 12:24 AM, said:

I'm sorry to report, but to the best of my knowledge, your understanding is slightly off. Posted Image

The earning of the UAV Detection action's registration can occur on the same Mech more than once. Further, it is triggered upon only your UAV sighting an Enemy Mech while nobody else is sighting it. It does NOT have to be like Scouting (which by the way IS the one where you have to sight it first, and only can happen once during a Match), and this earnable action CAN happen at any time during a Match's progress. Posted Image

I hope your reading this post helps you have a better time with getting the UAV Detection action rewards. Don't panic, and they'll just roll in naturally when you seemingly hit-and-run the Enemy with your UAV launches. Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "kindly sharing how a UAV Detection works" Devnull

Well it was to do with me being bad then! thanks for that

Edit: Yep 100% you were right thanks so much, I'd like to formally apologise for my stupidity :)

Edited by TomatoTyson, 21 June 2020 - 12:50 AM.

#28 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:07 AM

View PostTomatoTyson, on 21 June 2020 - 12:37 AM, said:

I'd like to formally apologise for my stupidity Posted Image

Eh... You don't have to go quite that far. I'm not like those "Choice-Limiting, Toxic-Minded, MetaMech-Force-Feeding Tryhards" which I've run into that condescend on everyone. I'm just glad I could help you understand the UAV a bit better. :P

~D. V. "No apologies needed. I understand when someone is still learning MWO." Devnull

#29 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:12 AM

So my understanding of "Capture Assist" on Conquest, which IS AS LIKELY TO BE WRONG AS RIGHT, is that you get it if you run through a capture point, and it is then captured by the people behind you. The other option might be that you get it when you did any capturing, and subsequently win the match. I'm not sure if winning is required to be "by capture", but Conquest technically always wins "by capture", it just jumps to the end once all the enemies are killed, short-cutting the wait.

That said I'm a bit bummed that they dropped the requirement from 5 to 1, because it's more than possible for players to play 5 (or 10) Conquest matches in 12 days... (We're two days in, and most people have finished those, already, anyway, if they like to cap points during conquest matches).

#30 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:42 PM

The headshot requirement is just plain silly, yes. Most of the time in a drop you're trying to kill the enemy and there is no time to precision snipe the cockpit hitbox if you want to survive the fight.

That's why I cheese it against AFKs/DCs

Edited by Horseman, 21 June 2020 - 02:43 PM.

#31 Gladiolix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

The best way of doing the headshot challenge legit, is by heavy gauss. Second best maybe awesome 8Q with triple hppc. Those two pretty much guarantee a kill if you hit their head. Next best thing is 2 reg gauss rilfes and 2 hppcs. Just aim in the general area of the head, if you miss, you hit CT so not that bad anyways.

Got myself two headshots in one game with BJ-3 with dual heavy ppc Posted Image Was also surprised that no one accused me of cheating that game Posted Image

EDIT: I dislike and suck at using flamers but shutdown mechs are pretty easy headshots, just saying ;)

Edited by Gladiolix, 21 June 2020 - 03:33 PM.

#32 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

I was happy the event started on Friday evening Oceania timezone, that sometimes gets missed. Bit of a shame the game itself had ****** weekend in terms of running/loading into matches etc. I sometimes dropped in a full minute late, which is fun with the borked set-up of drop points in some maps. (that was sarcasm)

Lots of lag, rubberbanding, kill-shotted a friendly who jittered from off to my left to fully in front of me while heavy lasering a damaged assault. It did look like they basically ended up face-hugging that red mech, so wonder how much fire they got from others, but I got the teamkill...

I do not understand the 12 day run time and bugger headshot requirements. It sounds cool in principle, but for those of us who play this game, the hitreg and hitboxes are too much of a mess to make that an indicator of skill in any way shape or form for the average player. It does explain the resurgsence of flamer mechs and people zooming off to hunt disco's.

I like the seperate damage, components and kill/kmdd counters. Gives you a sense of progression of sorts. XP is a bit too vaguely counted to achieve that for me.

#33 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:19 PM

View Postpseudofiction, on 21 June 2020 - 06:39 AM, said:

The headshot requirement is just plain dumb idea by PGI. I'm pretty sure at least half of the headshot kills are made against disconnected enemies – a true indication of skill. With most builds it's pretty much impossible to score headshot kill unless somebody else already skillfully headshoted the enemy and didn't get the kill and you just chip away the remaining hitpoint with your splash weapon, mostly often by accident, again a true indication of skill. I guess using LBX or missiles and to lesser extend lasers makes you skilless moron. Of course they want us to pay for the premium with real money rather than earn it through truly skillful play, even if it's just one event instance.

View PostHorseman, on 21 June 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

The headshot requirement is just plain silly, yes. Most of the time in a drop you're trying to kill the enemy and there is no time to precision snipe the cockpit hitbox if you want to survive the fight.

That's why I cheese it against AFKs/DCs

So, something that most players don't seem to realize, still, is that two or three years ago, now, PGI turned off the head hitbox on disconnected 'mechs. If someone connected and is merely AFK, they're fair game, but if they're disconnected from the match server, only 7 of the 8 hitboxes will take damage, and a perfectly aimed headshot will do literally nothing.

#34 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:13 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 21 June 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

So, something that most players don't seem to realize, still, is that two or three years ago, now, PGI turned off the head hitbox on disconnected 'mechs.
Nope, they didn't. What's actually going on is that the hitboxes on disco mechs don't line up properly and tend to be a little above (or below) their position on the model.

#35 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:08 AM

View PostHorseman, on 21 June 2020 - 10:13 PM, said:

Nope, they didn't. What's actually going on is that the hitboxes on disco mechs don't line up properly and tend to be a little above (or below) their position on the model.

Really? How does that glitch work, then? I tried headshotting a DC Locust a few years ago, now, and was doing zero damage to the 'mech despite a clear hit and the crosshairs turning red, and was informed at that time that they'd turned off the head hitbox. I think I tried it one or two more times to be sure, and it never worked on a DC after that, so I've been trying to PSA to let people know they shouldn't waste their time on DC's, and that it's only AFK's that work. I'll have to try DC hunting, again and see if I can figure that one out. Any idea which it is? Higher or lower? Or does it vary? (Thus making a Piranha 2 the perfect choice to lightly probe, then alpha once the head is found?)

View Postpseudofiction, on 22 June 2020 - 02:29 AM, said:

Regardless of how headshotting on dc players work, I put dc and idle players into the same bag. Reason why the mech stayed at the spawn is completely irrelevant for the purposes of judging the absurdity of this prerequisite because of how little effort it takes to kill them in whichever way. I actually wanted to correct my post to say dc/afk but didn’t think anybody would nitpick on that... especially since it was only part of my message... silly me, we are on the internet, there is always someone to nitpick. I can only applaud to players who completed the event by getting their headshot with pinpoint weapons during an actual battle or were quick-witted enough to bring those lasers to enemies head during shutdown, although I fear you are tiny minority.

I was just trying to PSA, but it seems more research is necessary.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 22 June 2020 - 03:09 AM.

#36 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:12 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 22 June 2020 - 03:08 AM, said:

Really? How does that glitch work, then? I tried headshotting a DC Locust a few years ago, now, and was doing zero damage to the 'mech despite a clear hit and the crosshairs turning red, and was informed at that time that they'd turned off the head hitbox. I think I tried it one or two more times to be sure, and it never worked on a DC after that, so I've been trying to PSA to let people know they shouldn't waste their time on DC's, and that it's only AFK's that work. I'll have to try DC hunting, again and see if I can figure that one out. Any idea which it is? Higher or lower? Or does it vary? (Thus making a Piranha 2 the perfect choice to lightly probe, then alpha once the head is found?)
It seems to vary. Usually it's higher, but not always.

#37 Vindicated

• PipPipPip
  • Sho-sa-ni
  • Sho-sa-ni
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:00 AM

View PostBolo Atari, on 20 June 2020 - 09:38 AM, said:

Found a lone, unmoving Shadow Hawk on River City and put an AC 20 round into the cockpit chair.

Headshot secured Posted Image

See? It can be done.

I got this yesterday in my 6 AC2 mauler against a marauder IIC that face tanked me. Probably something to do with angle between my weapons and his head (and the alignment of the sun and the stars of course)

#38 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:25 PM

Some angles and 'Mechs just make it easier, headshoting an Atlas cresting the ramps on mining collective for example.

#39 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:43 AM

Got my headshot yesterday on a super nova taking a heat nap. Was in the javelin with 7 mediums. Killed him then immediately blew up from overheating...lol

#40 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:29 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 18 June 2020 - 12:42 PM, said:

SKILLED PILOT EVENT

COMPLETE CHALLENGES FOR GSP AND MORE!

EVENT PAGE >>>

I'm seeing a Patch Inbound @ 10 AM PDT that will directly block me from a couple hours or more of my time today that I could have possibly spent playing to keep the queues up during the "Skilled Pilot Event" period... Will we be getting a day added to the Event Run Time in order to compensate for the Other PGI Staff that are messing this Event up? :(

~Mr. D. V. "May we have extra time to counter the loss, please?" Devnull

[Multiple Micro-Edits by the Post's Author for the Formatting Error in the Quote... They could not fully fix it...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 23 June 2020 - 05:32 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users