Mw Regrets

41 replies to this topic

#1 Morhadel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:16 PM

I have been a Mechwarrior Fan since 1996, It is my favorite IP. But between MWO and MW5 mercs, I wish PGI and Russ had never gotten their hands on this IP. When I started playing the Beta, awesome, they have plenty of room to make this game great, And then the Downward Spiral happened, has just gotten worse. MW5 comes out and I'm all ready for it to be amazing, and when playing mw5, I catch my self thinking, god I wish this was more like MWO. and thats when I realize they took everything that the community disliked about MWO and doubled down on it in MW5. I am above $1000 invested in this with PGI and I regret every Dime. No forum for MW5, well they learned that form the community warfare they started against the community. PGI will never get another dime from me, NOT even if they make another game, The best thing that could happen to the Mechwarrior IP is for PGI to loose it.

Edited by Morhadel, 17 June 2020 - 08:17 PM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:56 PM

well i spent maybe a third of that and still feel like i got ripped off. mw5 was also disappointing. i dont think people know how to make games anymore.

#3 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:14 AM

Right, because game developers the world over were absolutely clamouring to get their hands on the IP for all this time just to prove how it could be done. Oh, wait, they were not.

Can I have your stuff?

#4 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 June 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

Right, because game developers the world over were absolutely clamouring to get their hands on the IP for all this time just to prove how it could be done. Oh, wait, they were not.

Can I have your stuff?

We're all fully aware that no company could take an IP this old and make a highly rated, highly streamed, well regarded by players, and excellently updated game. They especially couldn't take this obscure IP and make it a household name while cornering a market comprised of niche players- at least not while turning amazing profits.

Posted Image

I don't know why players are asking for outcomes that are literally impossible.

#5 Morhadel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

I guess I had the wrong view of this IP, I would never have considered it obscure. But they only made; 16 Tabletop games, 5 RPGs, 23 video games, around a dozen total game mods, over 135 novels, 71 Tech manuals, 2 live VR games where you actually sit in a cockpit, 1 CCG and 1 cartoon. There's a few things I left out, but you get the point.

#6 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

I regret nothing, I would have spent the money on games either way.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:59 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 18 June 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

We're all fully aware that no company could take an IP this old and make a highly rated, highly streamed, well regarded by players, and excellently updated game. They especially couldn't take this obscure IP and make it a household name while cornering a market comprised of niche players- at least not while turning amazing profits.

Posted Image

I don't know why players are asking for outcomes that are literally impossible.

Which of course had nothing at all to do with PGI's established MWO game at the time. They certainly, totally like, didn't borrow any of PGI's art work or assets. Nope!

Logic: If it is somewhere on these forums, it isn't in this thread.

#8 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 June 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

I am taking this space to congratulate your brush with self awareness. It's important to note the small victories.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:44 PM

I regret some of my mechpack purchases (I have not played a few dozen mechs or so). Yes the game certainly could have turned out better than it has, but has filled a niche for me so I do not regret it overall. Yes, the devs had way too much nostalgistic battletech/mechwarrior feelings, which they were able to at least turn it into, at least, a bare minimal endeavor.

The biggest flop was Community Warfare/Faction Play. Too many wrong turns, and since there were no actual House Leaders/Lords, even PGI sanctioned people, leaving CW/FP opened ended like they did may well have been the wrong route to go, especially in its initial format. Tug-of War was an improvement while the current Objective format which is a modified Tug-of-War could use some improvement, but now it is lacking an actual player base.

Heck, without MWO, I would likely still using a Pentium 4 CPU, since even now there aren't any IP that comes even close to really grab my fancy. Battletech is fine but it isnt Mechwarrior. MW5 is also fine for what it does but it isnt Mechwarrior for me. I come from EGA 3025, MPBT Solaris and MPBT 3025 (EA). Tis more about having an active community.

I will just stop there.. I am an old geezer. :)

#10 Gladiolix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

View PostNameless King, on 18 June 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

I regret nothing, I would have spent the money on games either way.

I also regret nothing. This is one of the cheapest games I've played in terms of euros/hour even though I've spent hundreds of euros in this game.

#11 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

I have a MW2 CD in a drawer right next to my computer right now. I don't regret starting MWO, I do regret not buying a proper gaming PC for a number of years and not playing it before. I do feel bad about the state of the game right now though, it is a sad state of affairs.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:48 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 June 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

Which of course had nothing at all to do with PGI's established MWO game at the time. They certainly, totally like, didn't borrow any of PGI's art work or assets. Nope!

im glad pgi makes money selling graphics. thats the one thing they are actually good at. maybe they should be an asset house and leave game dev to the pros.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 June 2020 - 06:49 PM.

#13 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:00 PM

No wasting time on regrets

#14 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:55 AM

MWO regrets:

- The loss (edit) of predator style night vision.
- That there aren't more maps.
- That Russ's stubborn refusal to pull Long Tom for the better part of nine months killed the queue for many.
- The loss of flamers that blind.
- The death of group queue overall, and that the 8v8 variant of late wasn't given more time.
- The loss of spls as a decent weapon.
- Ghost heat for the most part, and the fact that it forces so many mechs to have the same load outs.
- The removal of interesting quirks, and the failure to make more of the mediocre mech variants have at least some niche value.
- The failure to give the Spider 5V a couple more weapons hard points.
- The grind post skill tree.
- The ct missile hard point on Quickdraws (I really just want 3 SRM6A on my 4H, but nooo).
- Engine decoupling in general, and the twist rate on the Atlas in particular.
- Having to find the damned stealth Flea at the end of a match.
- That PGI dismissed the community re-balance effort.
- That I can't find a satisfying build on a Linebacker with jump jets.
- That only when the game's population has dropped to critical levels is PGI finally listening to community input on the flaws of the PSR system and how to fix it, and that whatever the result, I fear it will have no practical impact on continued population loss and match quality.

There's probably more, but honestly, and I mean this, but despite the regrets and all my criticisms over the years, I think PGI has done a remarkable job with MWO. It's a great game and I really enjoy it. And while, PGI has made some outright awful decisions, occasionally mislead folks or even outright lied, showed that they do not understand basic statistical analysis and stubbornly refused to address that failing, and even on occasion directly insulted their customers; they have, nevertheless, kept this game going for 8 years.

Edited by Bud Crue, 19 June 2020 - 05:01 AM.

#15 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:47 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 June 2020 - 06:48 PM, said:

im glad pgi makes money selling graphics. thats the one thing they are actually good at. maybe they should be an asset house and leave game dev to the pros.

The question is, would BT have been green lit if MWO hadn't existed? MWO was a proof of concept that another Mechwarrior game was financially viable. PGI had a hell of a time getting Mechwarrior off the ground, nobody was interested in their original single player concept. It's ever so easy to disparage PGI for xyz, and claim that someone else could have done it better. The thing is, there was no one else.

#16 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:19 AM

I mean, you did spend more than $1000 on the game so it sounds like you played quite a bit... And sure you can regret or feel ashamed of having spent so much on it but at some level if you kept spending on content (mostly mechpacks, I assume), you must have been enjoying it. So is that really PGI's fault?

You're right though, the game could have been better. To me it just feels like they never got around to actually having a clear vision of what they wanted to do with it in the broader sense and instead they chased the community around in different directions at different times, with the occasional surprise switch around. Does that invalidate 6+ years of gaming? Not in my opinion but you seem to feel differently.

For reference I've spent about the same amount of money and I've logged thousands of hours (1756 hours since the Steam launch and probably about as much from before that). It feels a little silly to have spent that much time playing a game but I definitely enjoyed it or else I would have stopped.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:29 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 19 June 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

The question is, would BT have been green lit if MWO hadn't existed? MWO was a proof of concept that another Mechwarrior game was financially viable. PGI had a hell of a time getting Mechwarrior off the ground, nobody was interested in their original single player concept. It's ever so easy to disparage PGI for xyz, and claim that someone else could have done it better. The thing is, there was no one else.

there was living legends. and they would have continued to develop if mwo had not existed. who knows where that could have gone.

#18 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 01:58 AM

I've spent about $30 on MWO. I'm happy with my value for money.

I haven't touched MW5 yet. Waiting for the GOTY edition to be on sale, maybe end of next year. No one forced you to spend the money you have.

#19 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:31 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 19 June 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

Probably. The HBS made the Shadowrun games, and those revived that series in people's memories and it made enough to allow them to make Battletech. The founder of HBS was involved in Battletech and loves the setting so it made sense that they would go there.

#20 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 05:23 PM

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 20 June 2020 - 09:31 AM, said:

Probably. The HBS made the Shadowrun games, and those revived that series in people's memories and it made enough to allow them to make Battletech. The founder of HBS was involved in Battletech and loves the setting so it made sense that they would go there.

What do you mean involved? Jordan Weisman created all things Battletech. He is what Gene Roddenberry is to Star Trek and George Lucas is to Star Wars.

Edited by Anjian, 20 June 2020 - 05:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users