Is Solaris 7 A Joke?

46 replies to this topic

#21 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 04:05 AM

Dvi1 is my least favorit. Last time I played you only meet one mech with one loadout while in the other divisions it was similar but at least some people used something different from time to time.

As for player numbers...well now its 720+1. That will make all the differance ^_°
Oh well at least it makes it easier to get into the higher rewards but also means you will see the same people again and again.
What is sad. Seasons start is allways fun times for me and where I like the mode. Lots of different configs and sometimes you win, sometimes you loose but its fun anyway.

Sadly most people shy away because its a very meta heavy mode and if you are not willing or can't run meta you will get punished. Most people don't like that. I see it as a diversion from SQ and the mode that rewards getting better the most.

#22 MadDach5und

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

I'm on the leader board in DIVISION 1!
Just barely - mainly because I refuse to die willingly and the fatties are too lazy to chase me even when I'm under 50 percent
4-14 and 11 ties
It's just stupid - 20 of top 24 are Annihilators
One is a Dire Wolf, One is a Cyclops
Myself and Eristol in an Arctic Wolf

29 matches thus far, and i have yet to face ANYTHING lighter than 90 tons.

This isn't a "Division" - it's an Anni Frat House

#23 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:58 PM

Indeed and Div 1 has allways been that way. Thats why I wouldn't mind to just ban the top 3 chassis of each div for each new season and by that slowly create a rotation of a new meta each season.
Sure the oldest banned chassis will at some point rotate back in but with so many mechs avaible I think it will take some time.

Or maybe move the top 3 of each division up one division except for Div 1 who are rotated out completly until the next 4 seasons are over.

Edited by Nesutizale, 30 August 2020 - 09:59 PM.

#24 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:41 AM

View PostMadDach5und, on 30 August 2020 - 08:54 PM, said:

Just barely - mainly because I refuse to die willingly and the fatties are too lazy to chase me even when I'm under 50 percent
4-14 and 11 ties

11 ties is excessive. That's a lot of hiding. There are arctic wolf pilots who regularly beat annis.

#25 Orion3025

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:31 AM

LMAO. You could be 0-25 and make it on the leaderboard after playing 25 games if nobody else got to 25 yet. It was the BEGINNING of the season. I got to 25 games first in Div 1 this season. It gave me a Solaris Champ award on Steam and a nice S7 award cockpit item. Am I the champ? Hell no, the season just started a little while ago. Artic Wolf pilots know what they are doing in Div 1. We all know its part of the game, but to say that in a Div that is geared towards Assault and Heavy mechs that those pilots are lazy who don't fall to your strategies is misguided. If you are such great Wolf pilots why don't you take those Div 1 skills you have in your wolves and go to Div 5? Or try and get on the leaderboards in Div 6 or Div 7 with your light or medium mech skills? Are you up to the challenge or are you just skilled at harassing bigger slower moving targets? Check your own skill set.

#26 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:22 PM

View PostMadDach5und, on 30 August 2020 - 08:54 PM, said:

4-14 and 11 ties

Colour me surprised that people try to use the most effective mech in any given division in a competitive game mode where MC is on the line...

Your name rung a bell, and going back through my notes I did indeed face off against you this season. Unfortunately I must have forgotten to record the match (a habit I'm trying to get into) but I did manage to find a screenshot

Posted Image

The mech I play in division 1 is a 4*LBX10 3*MPL annihilator (not the meta for division 1 by the way).

Some points that I have that I think you might want to take on board
1. Your map selection was a bit weird. Why did you ban caves? I would think that would give you the greatest edge against the div 1 meta as you would have the most cover to duck in and out of, particularly against the mass AC2 or AC5/AC10 combo annihilators

2. You were trying to hit and run front on against me in your arctic wolf. Not ideal, the annihilator has far too much armour and firepower to try that in a 1v1. You need to get in and destroy my legs, abuse the annihilator's poor mobility and torso pitch

3. You complained about landing on the OC server. Suck it up, you lost the home server coin toss. As an Australian who has no choice but to play on NA servers with 200-300ms 90% time it is really, REALLY hard to sympathise. If you can't stand landing on OC every once in a while, Solaris might not be for you. Besides, the annihilator is such a slow mech so hitreg won't be NEARLY as bad as if you were up against something more agile

4. Have fun. If you're not having fun, find a way to make it fun. Get better at using the arctic wolf. Give the cliche "if you can't beat them, join them" a try regarding the meta. Try something COMPLETELY different to change things up. If you can't make it fun, stop playing division 1 or maybe Solaris entirely and accept that it's just not for you. I thoroughly encourage you to give it an honest chance though Posted Image

Edited by Rosarius, 22 September 2020 - 03:22 PM.

#27 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:51 AM

Seven divisions, just remember that. Leave Div 1 alone and be the best in one of the others. At the end of the day, the majority really doesn't give a damn about Solaris, most would rather have seen the money spent on better FW/CW play, storyline or immersion and a better selection of maps and modes for QP.

Trying to set out an e-sports version of MWO was doomed to failure with it being such a niche market in the gaming sector as a whole.

That being said, when I can be *rsed to play Solaris, I usually end up low/mid rewards table for the absolute minimal effort, because its so underpopulated and every one has the Div 1 mindset.

#28 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:48 PM

"Is Solaris 7 a joke?"

Yes

The real question is,

Is the joke funny or in bad taste?

#29 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:02 AM

Solaris 7, the whole thing, is a bad joke

#30 Lieutenant Hedgehog

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON, Canada

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:54 PM

Just played my first 3 Solaris matches tonight.
Vs different 3 meta builds.
In 2 of the matches their damage scores were like 5-6 times higher than mine.
Yeah... not going to win over new players with this mode.

I love the concept but needs a larger audience and matchmaking that will even things out.
I see why a different type of mech succeeds in Solaris than in QP, I'm open to having separate builds for different modes...
but it seems like FP and Solaris are "Go Meta or Go Home" and that kills it for me

#31 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:43 PM

You'll want to pop in when the season kick-off event begins. Lots more players doing the mode then.

#32 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:17 PM

The harsh truth is... it's a ranked competitive mode. New players will struggle, particularly at day zero of the season where you have the perfect storm of low population and everyone's ELO has been reset to 1500.

Like what Horseman said, queues will be more populated when PGI start a Solaris event. Then you will have a better chance to match against someone of similar skill level

#33 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:37 PM

Plus, a few days after the season begins some of the more dedicated players will already be on the leaderboards, and that gives you an opportunity to review the chassis and builds that are performing well in each division and either copy them, put your own spin on them or develop countermeasures

#34 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:04 AM

View PostHorseman, on 17 November 2020 - 11:37 PM, said:

Plus, a few days after the season begins some of the more dedicated players will already be on the leaderboards, and that gives you an opportunity to review the chassis and builds that are performing well in each division and either copy them, put your own spin on them or develop countermeasures

I've actually put the top 10 mechs of each division from season 10 on Google sheets if anyone wants to use it as a reference

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#35 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

View PostRosarius, on 18 November 2020 - 12:04 AM, said:

I've actually put the top 10 mechs of each division from season 10 on Google sheets if anyone wants to use it as a reference

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Awwww, I thought it was gunna be complete with importable builds/trees. ;)

Haven't played in a while, might get drunk this weekend and try and grind top 10! =)

#36 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:11 AM

They ever do away with that BS multiplier that essentially encourages gaming the system and discourages playing after grinding to 25-0 unless someone makes a run at 'cha...

Been a number of seasons, but from what I gathered last peek into Solaris, we needed far shorter seasons (due to low pop, let's face it, they broke this game mode with that idiotic "elo infusion" which broke the scoreboard in season 2... when I placed top 10 overall in season 1 there were over 20,000 people playing this mode...

Don't get me wrong, lots of fragile internet toughguys whose egos couldn't handle the losses without stupid pugs to blame. Demoralizing those aholes was fun...

Curious if PGI ever got a clue with Solaris. Guessing prolly not.

#37 Doriam

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

Yes.

#38 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:18 PM

View PostDartangan, on 21 November 2020 - 10:07 AM, said:

Awwww, I thought it was gunna be complete with importable builds/trees. ;)

Haven't played in a while, might get drunk this weekend and try and grind top 10! =)

I like spending obscene amounts of time in spreadsheets, but I have my limits :P

View PostDartangan, on 21 November 2020 - 10:11 AM, said:

They ever do away with that BS multiplier that essentially encourages gaming the system and discourages playing after grinding to 25-0 unless someone makes a run at 'cha...

IIRC they did change the way the multiplier system works. Can't remember exactly how, maybe only applying it to the first 5 to 10 matches and / or a multiplier reduction. Queues do get sparse as the season drags on and people leave the game mode after they do their 25 placement matches (myself included)

#39 Lieutenant Hedgehog

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON, Canada

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:15 AM

Honestly I'm looking forward to the Season kick off now. I'm gonna make me some cheap Streak SRM or RAC Light Mech build and see how for I can get Posted Image

#40 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 05:30 PM

wait, are there people actually playing S7 regularly now? I liked S7 but stopped cause the queue was basically dead

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users