#41 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 December 2020 - 12:36 AM

View PostImperialKnight, on 07 December 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

wait, are there people actually playing S7 regularly now? I liked S7 but stopped cause the queue was basically dead
At least at the beginning of each season, yes. Some groups try to revive it by pre-arranging drop times as well.

#42 Lieutenant Hedgehog

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON, Canada

Posted 11 December 2020 - 06:38 AM

It's definitely been easy getting a match in the past week or two since the event started, it's been fun

I've even won in 3 divisions now ... don't think I'll ever win Division 1 or 2 though ;)

#43 Nomad5926

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:53 PM

I just started doing some Solaris 7 for the Season 11 kick off rewards.... but here I am 5 wins and 16 losses later trying not to spend millions of c-bills to remake my mechs on something so stupidly specific. Oh also I get to wait like 10+ minutes in Div 3 to even get into a match just to get cheesed.

I am fully aware that there is a learning curve. But honestly I've only lost because I don't have those cheese meta builds. I can't see how pilot skill enters this, because the matches basically boil down to run in and shoot at each other in the CT until someone dies. There is no real skill (outside of maybe torso twisting), no tactics. Cover? Ambushing? Those tactics are not really useful at all when someone can just run up on you with a **** ton of ACs or MRMs/SRMs.

Maybe it's different at the not entry level, but I've seen more skill in random QMs than in Solaris. It's basically a game of blind rock/paper/scissors where the guy who spent the most money wins.

Thank you for coming to my rant, I just want the 7 wins so I can stop with this stupid ****.......

#44 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 December 2020 - 04:19 PM

View PostNomad5926, on 13 December 2020 - 01:53 PM, said:

I just started doing some Solaris 7 for the Season 11 kick off rewards.... but here I am 5 wins and 16 losses later trying not to spend millions of c-bills to remake my mechs on something so stupidly specific. Oh also I get to wait like 10+ minutes in Div 3 to even get into a match just to get cheesed.
Because you started playing the event weeks after it began, when most everyone already did their matches and had little incentive to keep playing the mode.

But honestly I've only lost because I don't have those cheese meta builds. I can't see how pilot skill enters this,
Choosing a build, understanding how to use it, voting out maps that are disadvantageous for your intended strategy and voting in maps that are advantageous for you are all parts of the gameplay. As is using the previews you get at the start of the match to determine your enemy's likely build, engagement range and strategy, then implementing appropriate counters for it.

because the matches basically boil down to run in and shoot at each other in the CT until someone dies.
Sounds like you've only been playing div 1 and 2 and continuously died to the AC2 annihilators/corsairs?

There is no real skill (outside of maybe torso twisting), no tactics. Cover? Ambushing? Those tactics are not really useful at all when someone can just run up on you with a **** ton of ACs or MRMs/SRMs.
Actually, use of cover, targeting your enemy's weak spots and setting up ambushes are very helpful - if executed properly. If you just run in shooting, you will lose.

It's basically a game of blind rock/paper/scissors where the guy who spent the most money wins.
Not really. Only a handful of hero mechs has any place in the Solaris meta at all, and they tend to be pretty narrowly specialized and very beatable by non-hero mechs with the right builds on them.

If you assert that "the guy who spent the most money wins", then I've got a counter-claim for you: my C-Bill Battlemaster is consistently beating the hero Charger players in Div 5. How do you think that's happening?

Edited by Horseman, 13 December 2020 - 04:20 PM.

#45 Nomad5926

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:24 PM

View PostHorseman, on 13 December 2020 - 04:19 PM, said:

Because you started playing the event weeks after it began, when most everyone already did their matches and had little incentive to keep playing the mode.

So basically its useless to play this mode after 1 week. Got ya. Its crap.

Choosing a build, understanding how to use it, voting out maps that are disadvantageous for your intended strategy and voting in maps that are advantageous for you are all parts of the gameplay. As is using the previews you get at the start of the match to determine your enemy's likely build, engagement range and strategy, then implementing appropriate counters for it.

Honestly the only maps that seem to have anything other than strategy shoot at face, is the caves or the warehouse one. And that strategy is just hid until I can pop-out with like a million SRMs or MRMs. sooo yea, its got strategy like tic-tac-toe. (ie. not much)

Sounds like you've only been playing div 1 and 2 and continuously died to the AC2 annihilators/corsairs?

I said I was in division 3. But the AC spam is still real.

Actually, use of cover, targeting your enemy's weak spots and setting up ambushes are very helpful - if executed properly. If you just run in shooting, you will lose.

Cover is great for the first 2 volleys maybe. By then either they're gonna try and run up on you with SRMs or just run up on you with ACs. Honestly its the people who tried to duck and weave/ keep range that I end up beating either at range or close.
And I'm pretty sure ever single not mouth breather knows to target specific spots and focus fire..... It's not hard.

Not really. Only a handful of hero mechs has any place in the Solaris meta at all, and they tend to be pretty narrowly specialized and very beatable by non-hero mechs with the right builds on them.

If you assert that "the guy who spent the most money wins", then I've got a counter-claim for you: my C-Bill Battlemaster is consistently beating the hero Charger players in Div 5. How do you think that's happening?

I probably used the wrong word. I don't mean real money (although that might help). I meant C-Bill. Like having the most tricked out car wins the race. Has very little to do with the guy driving it. I honestly just want the little extra C-bill rewards and the MC rewards. But I ended up having to spend more than 4mil on refitting my Banshee to not get my *** kicked. I get that using builds for the regular 12v12 battles probably isn't optimized for 1v1. But like its not even close. Unless my opponent is an actual mouth breather having a stroke, any basic meta mech is gonna beat a non-meta mech.

So honestly I still maintain Solars 7 is an awful game mode. Honestly the fact that everyone cleared out after 1 week of play is telling. And please don't try and tell me tic-tac-toe has strategy, because it doesn't; just like this game mode. Pretty much anything can be countered by ACs/SRMs/MRMs to the face. Sure someone can try and snipe, but then all you have to do is stay low and boop their face. If someone is charging you, you better have more dakka on your mech or else they win. With the way the maps are there is no way to have a long ranged fight. Which is maybe the point, but really its just peak and poke until you're close enough to run in. That's the whole strategy. So simple, so easy. Just have the bigger gun when you get close and you win.

P.S.-- I honestly just made my post to vent. I don't plan on playing this mode again and I'm just gonna move on with my life. If you like it cool. I don't have to.

Edit: I tried my hand at Div 1. WOW was it way easier. Just rolled around in my Dakka-annihilators and out dakka-ed for the win.

Edited by Nomad5926, 13 December 2020 - 08:56 PM.

#46 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:01 AM

View PostNomad5926, on 13 December 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

Honestly the only maps that seem to have anything other than strategy shoot at face, is the caves or the warehouse one. And that strategy is just hid until I can pop-out with like a million SRMs or MRMs. sooo yea, its got strategy like tic-tac-toe. (ie. not much)
Buddy, I've played somewhere around two thousand Solaris matches in the 1v1s. Just because you're unable to see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Cover is great for the first 2 volleys maybe.
As someone who has been playing the mode since it was introduced, let me say... you'd be surprised.

And I'm pretty sure ever single not mouth breather knows to target specific spots and focus fire..... It's not hard.

I'm talking about knowing your enemy's hardpoints and prioritizing them accordingly when you can't target their CT

I probably used the wrong word. I don't mean real money (although that might help). I meant C-Bill. Like having the most tricked out car wins the race.
Except there's a hard limit to how far you can do that on any one of them.

But like its not even close. Unless my opponent is an actual mouth breather having a stroke, any basic meta mech is gonna beat a non-meta mech.
It's a ranked mode with rewards based on your ranking. Picking the right mech for the opposition you're facing is part of the gameplay . Of course people are going to play to win!
Playing non-meta in QP can work since chances are there are players who do that on both sides. In Solaris, it's just a way to guarantee getting your *** kicked. But since you do control your mech choice, you've created that problem yourself when you decided to take a suboptimal mech into the match.

Has very little to do with the guy driving it.
And again, you're wrong on that count as well.

But I ended up having to spend more than 4mil on refitting my Banshee to not get my *** kicked.
In Div 3 you might want to think about a Charger. Enough speed to chase down an AC2 boat, arm shields to eat that AC2 spam while you're closing in, enough firepower to wreck it's day once you're in range.

So honestly I still maintain Solars 7 is an awful game mode.
Honestly it sounds like you came to it expecting something very casual and forgiving and are just annoyed you can't stomp it as easily as you thought.

Honestly the fact that everyone cleared out after 1 week of play is telling.
Majority of the playerbase always stayed in Quickplay, and only hits the mode for the event. This has nothing to do with the mode itself.

And please don't try and tell me tic-tac-toe has strategy, because it doesn't; just like this game mode.
There's a lot more of it than you believe, but if you're playing with kitchen sink builds you're not going to see it. Neither will you if your idea of adapting to the problem is to whine in the forums how the mode is too demanding instead of analyzing how and why you were outplayed.

With the way the maps are there is no way to have a long ranged fight.

On Boreal, Steiner and using the catwalks on Factory.

#47 Nomad5926

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

View PostHorseman, on 14 December 2020 - 04:01 AM, said:

Buddy, I've played somewhere around two thousand Solaris matches in the 1v1s. Just because you're unable to see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
As someone who has been playing the mode since it was introduced, let me say... you'd be surprised.

I'm talking about knowing your enemy's hardpoints and prioritizing them accordingly when you can't target their CT
Except there's a hard limit to how far you can do that on any one of them.It's a ranked mode with rewards based on your ranking. Picking the right mech for the opposition you're facing is part of the gameplay . Of course people are going to play to win!
Playing non-meta in QP can work since chances are there are players who do that on both sides. In Solaris, it's just a way to guarantee getting your *** kicked. But since you do control your mech choice, you've created that problem yourself when you decided to take a suboptimal mech into the match.
And again, you're wrong on that count as well.
In Div 3 you might want to think about a Charger. Enough speed to chase down an AC2 boat, arm shields to eat that AC2 spam while you're closing in, enough firepower to wreck it's day once you're in range.
Honestly it sounds like you came to it expecting something very casual and forgiving and are just annoyed you can't stomp it as easily as you thought.
Majority of the playerbase always stayed in Quickplay, and only hits the mode for the event. This has nothing to do with the mode itself.
There's a lot more of it than you believe, but if you're playing with kitchen sink builds you're not going to see it. Neither will you if your idea of adapting to the problem is to whine in the forums how the mode is too demanding instead of analyzing how and why you were outplayed.

On Boreal, Steiner and using the catwalks on Factory.

You are really starting to annoy me.... this was meant to just be a vent post. Now no one is making me play all the divisions to get the stupid like 100MC reward. That is on me. But like I said before I made my original post just to vent. A yelling into the void if you will. If you can't see that, then I really can't help you. I'm going to give you pass since I'm assuming based on your location english might not be your first language.

You say I can't see the strategy... but trust me I see all the strategy involved. It isn't that deep. (like tic-tac-toe) There isn't any flanking, or outmaneuvering. Sure you can torso twist, but like... that's not hard. You can sort of pick the terran and cover type for the hard points you have (ie. hills if your mounted high) but like the other guy can just... move around it. I'm glad you have played over 2 thousand matches; I really am, but.... how do you say... I don't care if you like it? My point is the game mode is trying to be complex, when it's really just super simple. Like if you really wanted to test pilot skill you'd have everyone running the trials mech. That would be really a skill test. But its not a skill test, it's a "who build the most dakka mech" test.

I'm pretty sure everyone who plays this game knows about targeting hardpoints and focusing fire. Children play this and do well. Literal children whose brains aren't fully developed know to use these things. It's not that difficult to do. And honestly the main reason why I'm not bringing in these meta-builds is because well I don't want to waste millions of C-bills on something so specific. That's a me problem. But the fact the game mode demands it is kind of annoying. Heck honestly from what I've seen I'd just have to drop like 10+ mil on a heavy or assault. Put the biggest dakka I can on it and then win every match-- again because I have more armor and dmg than you. My problem is that I don't have like 80mil to drop for a win in each division.

And I've adapted the mechs I've used for solaris and I'm not using "kitchen sink builds". But man the mode is so brain dead it sucks. There is nothing to adapt to. Sure terran can help, but if your just out ton-ed? GG. Also my idea of adapting isn't to whine about it on the forums. I've been tweaking builds and trying different mech while you took offence to someone's rant post. Which honestly, is a little sad.

But seriously if I had unlimited C-bills or MC I would basically be able to build the perfect mech for solaris and probably stomp through. But here is the issue, there is no noobie solaris. I'm getting paired with the top rankers purely because no one plays this mode. Now I'm glad you like solaris. Go enjoy, I'm not judging you for having fun. I'm judging the game mode for having like no players so noobs are paired with vets. (Like I got paired with a dude whos win rate was 2.0 .... Like I'm 0.3 win rate. How is this gonan go??) I'm judging it for basically it being who can spend the most C-bills and dakka the hardpoints more. Like I wrecked Div 1 in my Annihilator, because, well, I had more dakka and armor.

In summary. I'm glad you like it. That doesn't matter to me. I don't like it and find it dull and pedantic. I'm really just upset with the fact for me to get my 1 win, etc... and complete the promotional missions it took me about 8 mil C-bills for retrofitting and like 2 days where really it should have been a few hours and maybe 2 or 3 mil C-bills. The match density and matchmaking is trash. Which, IMO, is a byproduct from the fact it's not a good mode. I got my wins, and I'm saying never again.

Oh and Boreal/Steiner isn't long range... its like mid range at best. 500m isn't really long range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users