22 replies to this topic

#21 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:40 PM

Benchmark results suggest 2-3x improvement with a 710. A 750 Ti... well, suffice to say it's 4-5x as powerful as the 710. Probably wouldn't give you 15x as many frames in the end but I'd say it's a better bang for your buck even adding the cost of a new PSU

#22 DylanCheetah

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:19 PM

For future reference, how do I know if I need a bigger PSU when I upgrade parts? Does it go by total watts or?

Edited by DylanCheetah, 30 June 2020 - 02:20 PM.

#23 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:29 PM

View PostDylanCheetah, on 30 June 2020 - 02:19 PM, said:

For future reference, how do I know if I need a bigger PSU when I upgrade parts? Does it go by total watts or?

1. There are power supply calculators ( eg https://outervision....pply-calculator )
2. A PSU's stated wattage may not always be accurate, because of the multiple 12V rails that are in use on most non-budget PSUs.
3. In your case it's not as much wattage itself as the fact your motherboard has PCI-E 1.0 and the power specification of PCI-E changed with PCI-E 2.1. A card designed to run off the power provided by a PCI-E 2.1 or 3.0 slot alone wouldn't work in a 1.0 or 2.0 slot.
4. So your card would have take additional power straight from the power supply. There are specialized cables for that that your power supply does not have - and while there are adapters for them, those are somewhat... questionable in reliability.
5. So you need a power supply that has those connectors. Most that aren't bottom-of-the-bargain-bin have them.

Edited by Horseman, 30 June 2020 - 10:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users