What's New?

24 replies to this topic

#21 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:52 PM

View PostBlaizerP, on 10 July 2020 - 08:31 PM, said:

Well the the last round of changes was a massive buff to direct fire for LRMs, so excuse us for assuming you don't know what you're talking about.

That "buff to direct fire" doesn't actually buff it in the actual gameplay. "Faster" missile speed has never been worth it below the speed of ATMs, and the flattened fight arc allows to hit under cover more, but also removes a lot of the positioning skill required, as well as making it less capable if something is side-peaking or hill-humping in short cover. (which happens a LOT in this game)
There are so many things that make that not a real "buff" that it's pointless bothering to discuss it. (much like PGI's decision to have a hard minimum range for ATMs for no reason other than to make people use anything but ATMs)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 10 July 2020 - 08:53 PM.

#22 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:58 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 10 July 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:

You mean the dual HGauss I've been running to extremely great effect for some time now? I'm not a no-skill player, I just like more variety than just "point and click, or point and click and hold". ATMs still take WAY too many missile losses when there is even a single AMS in range, and all lock-on missiles still take longer to lock than it takes for an entire burn duration for Heavy Large Lasers, with about the same aiming requirements for similar damage.

Exactly. The laser and ballistic weapons that I have listed have one big advantage: Their effectivity does not depend on how many AMS and ECM systems the enemy team has brought to the field.

LRMs are sometimes practically negated in the game and even ATMs are not that great in some missions. SRMs and MRMs are still quite useful.

The people that hate so much on LRMs are those people that refuse to do any advanced tactics in the battle.

Are you sure that?

When I played with one or two groups some time ago, we used "advanced tactics" (whatever it is), but we did not use LRMs because we considered LRMs to be less-than-optimal weapons, unsuitable for our coordinated tactics.

They're the same people that think that playing to the objectives is the wrong way to play the game.

I think that playing the objectives is often less than optimal way to play the game and I use LRMs/ATMs from time to time.

They're the same people that vote for HPG Skirmish EVERY SINGLE TIME IT COMES UP.

How do you know that?

Do not you think that there can be LRM/ATM users who like playing on HPG Manifold and vote for it?

I mean, you can not see anyone else's votes to check what map and gamemode he voted for.

These are the people that think that NASCAR is an "advanced tactic" instead of the fastest way to kill your own team's assaults.

Well, the last time I checked there are no prescribed tactics in MWO. If some players think that nascaring is the best tactics, you may not like it, but there is nothing you could do with it.

Please stop suggesting other weapons that I already know how to use quite well.

Sorry, I am sure that you will leave Tier 3 soon.

#23 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:34 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 10 July 2020 - 08:52 PM, said:

That "buff to direct fire" doesn't actually buff it in the actual gameplay.

Having spent a significant amount of time running LRM boats designed to be aggressive both before the after the change, I can tell you that the changes are significant to gameplay.

"Faster" missile speed has never been worth it below the speed of ATMs

I will agree with this only for Clan LRMs due to their stream firing making the higher velocity less noticable, but otherwise for IS LRMs its a huge buff.

and the flattened fight arc allows to hit under cover more, but also removes a lot of the positioning skill required

How does it reduce positioning skill? You need to position yourself to be both within direct line of sight but not in a position where you are the only target.

as well as making it less capable if something is side-peaking or hill-humping in short cover. (which happens a LOT in this game)

But it doesn't? If you can't see them it will fire in the normal high arc, so instead of just firing as soon as possible fire when they have gone back into cover if you need the higher arc.

Edited by Hawker Siddeley, 10 July 2020 - 11:36 PM.

#24 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:38 PM

What's new outside of the PSR update?

Not. A. Damned. Thing.

No new mechs, no new maps... nothing. They have essentially left MWO to die and have funneled seemingly everything to MW5. As someone who doesn't play that, I do find their lack of new content here to be disheartening.

#25 Ajantise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

According to PGI nothing since 2018. Last update is from 2018. Most are from 2016.

https://mwomercs.com...-command-chair/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users