• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:31 AM

The five (5) Camo colors are now FREE: Basic colors: Purple, Red, Orange, Green, Blue.
[Mechlab]>>[Camo_Spec]>>[Color]>>[Basic]

Not sure when this had happened, but it sure is helpful for newcomers (and returning players)!!

- - - - - - - - - -
1. Wish I got this advice 2 months ago when I started playing MWO again...
Countless lights picking off my LRM boat because I did not keep up with my group.

2. Did you know that you can buy five (5) Camo colors for common C-Bills only?
[Camo_Spec]>>[Color]
Change the Filter from [All]>>[Basic]

Have fun coloring your shiny new mech!

View PostBolo Atari, on 17 September 2020 - 05:59 PM, said:

Welcome to MWO!

1 thing on LRMs: direct fire them.

Not always, but seriously do not stay in the back and try to keep a lock on. Time is being spent for that lock you could be using to help the team. So move with the Lance and shoot what they see. Frankly, you don't even a lock on: keep your reticle on the target and just shoot. Sure, the spread will be wider, but time is essential.

Otherwise, experience Light Mech players will hunt you down or you'll be one of the last Mechs standing with little to show for it.

For my part, do I LRM? No. Have I? Yes, because I wanted to experience what it's about. It's a lazy weapon overall, but has it's place, yet I'll gladly 'Press R' for those who prefer using it. I found more value as a direct fire weapon, thus this opinion.

YMMV ^^

Edited by w0qj, 01 June 2021 - 08:56 PM.

#42 Dekallis

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:11 AM

Just one?

Decide what niche you want to fill. Whatever mech you choose, and however you decide to outfit it should be informed by the role you want to play. Are you front line? Are you second line? Long range support? Scout? Brawler? What? your mech purchases will be easier decisions once you choose a role you want rather than trying to figure out how to make a mech fit into that role it's not really designed for.

Example: I used to run a brawler gargoyle because it's an assault and its (absurdly)fast, for it's class keeping up with heavys and mediums but limited space meant i had to use lighter weapons anyway so the brawler setup figured in just fine for what the mech is supposed to do(be an assault that can keep up with the pack) as well as a weapon setup that meshes well with the fact it has the speed to close on an enemy and do a bunch of damage fast. but it's still a big target with a decent amount of armor. So it's technically an assault but it plays like a heavy or a oddlydurable medium.

So it's not always as simple as "This a *insert weight class here* so it should play like this." Different mechs, different specs. Understanding what they're meant for will go a long way to finding a build that fits what you want to do. Even if it isn't "Meta". Once you learn a role any mech that fits that role will feel reasonably comfortable to use.

Another thing I would advise is getting a ecm mech. learning how ecm works is important and at lower skill levels people will sometimes stare blankly at your mech and not shoot it because there's no red box around it.I've seen this happen many times even at moderate levels I've seen people blank out on a mech right in front of them and get shot in the face. Some people are entirely too reliant on sensors and not using their eyeballs to spot the enemy.

#43 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:03 AM

Shoot the enemy.

Seriously. SHOOT the enemy

It's amazing how much time people spend running away from and NOT shooting the enemy in this game

#44 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

View PostImperialKnight, on 09 January 2021 - 01:03 AM, said:

It's amazing how much time people spend running away from and NOT shooting the enemy in this game
Also, chances are that your pursuer too fast to evade in the first place. Giving them your back does nothing except let them kill you sooner... so why not make sure they at least pay for it?

Edited by Horseman, 10 January 2021 - 11:21 AM.

#45 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:02 PM

Hm,maybe: Before you buy Hero Mechs for Real money choose them in the store click "view in Mechlab >and from Mechlab testing grounds.
Many newbys dont know that they rebuild a Mech in the store Mechlab and go from there straight in the Testing grounds WITH the Loadout they build without loosing any C-bill or MC as long they dont click the yellow button left side

Edited by Mighty Spike, 10 January 2021 - 12:10 PM.

#46 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:14 PM

Don't buy packs of mechs in the store, even if they seem cheaper.. They are infested with bad versions you really have trouble doing anything with.. If you must, buy some MC and pick and choose what mechs you want or need..

Always read a builds guide first on all the variants if you really must buy a complete pack, or you may regret your purchase.

Edited by Samial, 29 March 2021 - 10:49 PM.

#47 Guardian Soul

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:49 AM

Very late, but welcome to MWO!

The advice already given is very solid, but one big thing that hasn't been mentioned is to make sure you're not taking bad trades, especially when moving in and out of cover.

If you're taking more damage than you're able to put back out while peeking from cover, find a better position or wait for a buddy to move up to lend a hand. I know I'm very guilty of this, but there's no point in taking a look over that hill if you're not going to be able to out damage whatever's on the other side of it, and if you take a ton of fire after poking over for the love of Kerensky don't take another look without help!

#48 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:52 AM

• Wait for the sales for any big purchases - focus on a single medium and/or heavy at anyone time that suits your style; currently dakka is performing well (again depends on your style and ability to forward track an moving opponent).
  • Listen to what the more experienced pilots have to say in a drop and try to follow their lead.
  • Use and be aware of what's happening on your mini map, situational awareness can give you opportunity to pick off a loner or make sure you stay with support dependant on what's happening.
  • Have fun

#49 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:57 AM

Literally just found out that you can fiddle with your mech in your mechbay, and test out your mech in the Testing Grounds without paying for your proposed mech changes! Even change your engine size to find out your speed too, which is an expensive proposition for IS mechs & Clan IIC mechs.

View PostMighty Spike, on 10 January 2021 - 12:02 PM, said:

Hm,maybe: Before you buy Hero Mechs for Real money choose them in the store click "view in Mechlab >and from Mechlab testing grounds.
Many newbys dont know that they rebuild a Mech in the store Mechlab and go from there straight in the Testing grounds WITH the Loadout they build without loosing any C-bill or MC as long they dont click the yellow button left side

#50 Agent Super Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:05 PM

I see a lot of advice here that's just plain wrong. Being encouraged to upgrade to an XL275 without mentioning that it's the same tonnage as an XL 280 really struck me. You never buy an XL275. Not ever.
Not. Ever.
I see people in 2020 naming mechs that have been terrible since long before.
So, my advice:
DEFINITELY go to the Jarl's list and see if the person giving you advice is successful in this game. Or if they've played a match in this calendar year; view 2+ year old advice with suspicion.
Always run advice by multiple people before you act on it, not just with who tells you want you want to hear - grinding out C-bills takes forever and following bad advice can eat a good chunk of your time and effort.
Or not! If you don't mind grinding and experiencing frustration, you can try to do things your own way - but do understand that you are losing a lot of your own time.

#51 Agent Super Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:09 PM

If you're a new player reading this now:
I put together an entire library full of videos from different youtubers that cover advice for new (and also for intermediate) players, separated into buy/build guides, how to set up controls properly, and how to play in matches. Since they all have a different take on what's worth knowing first, it's kinda useful to be able to digest a few a week.
Lots of people make videos, but not everyone is a great player and not everyone is effective as a teacher; I only include materials that have passed both tests in my books.
There are plenty of good teachers around and plenty of good curators of knowledge; you don't have to be stuck with the first decent player you meet, if it doesn't feel like a match for you.
Also, our unit welcomes new players to come drop with us as guests, most nights of the week.
Any new players: hit me up in-game if you want to skim it at your own pace :D

#52 Theodore

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:51 PM

1) Have fun

#53 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:42 PM

Less is more. (in many ways in MWO) You don't have to fill every weapon slot to be useful.

Heat is crazy important if you are new try to stick to a certain heat building your mechs,

Inner sphere anything over 1.3
Clan anything over 1.4-1.5 is safer.

Leave the 1-1.2 builds to the crazy top tier guys.

Edited by Samial, 29 March 2021 - 10:47 PM.

#54 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:17 AM

i would say above all else have fun.

i wouldn't use an XL in an IS mech until you get some play and skill under your belt

as for anything else the testing ground is your friend. use it.

hope yo see you on the field of battle

#55 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

1. set your sensitivity to like 0.15, and adjust from there, but figure that when your DPI is right you're going to be looking for a figure around 0.15, not the other end of the scale.

2. Vapor Eagle 2, 2xUAC10, 1xERPPC, xl255, go to town

#56 Doctor Fission

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:14 AM

When I coach newbies I give them a very simple mission for the first few days:

"Stay with the team, survive the match or die 12th, and do zero damage."

This mission forces them to pay attention to the enemy team's location and improves piloting skill quickly. Once they're used to surviving, they earn the right to shoot.

#57 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:31 AM

The five (5) Camo colors are now FREE: Basic colors: Purple, Red, Orange, Green, Blue.
[Mechlab]>>[Camo_Spec]>>[Color]>>[Basic]

Not sure when this had happened, but it sure is helpful for newcomers (and returning players)!!

View Postw0qj, on 23 September 2020 - 12:31 AM, said:

1. Wish I got this advice 2 months ago when I started playing MWO again...
Countless lights picking off my LRM boat because I did not keep up with my group.

2. Did you know that you can buy five (5) Camo colors for common C-Bills only?
[Camo_Spec]>>[Color]
Change the Filter from [All]>>[Basic]

Have fun coloring your shiny new mech!

#58 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:12 AM

I think they were added to the Cadet rewards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users