- - - - -

What's One Tip You Would Give Someone

57 replies to this topic

#1 Reavers

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:30 AM

I'm going to suit up for my first ride in a couple hours. After playing MechWarrior five, I decided to give the online thing a try. I've been watching a few TTB videos so I understand it will be a whole new experience.

So what's one tip you would give a guy about to jump into his first match.

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:10 PM

Don't sweat your performance.

#3 Reavers

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:30 PM

Separate follow up is it worth activating premium time right off the bat.

#4 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

Without any owned Mechs, I'd be heistant to activate any premium time. The c-bill bonus is nice, but your XP is kinda wasted. You get c-bill bonus in your first 25(?) matches anyway. That premium time can be more helpful once you own a mech or two and can really use the XP booster.

My one tip: You need more than one tip. A lot of this game is just not that straightforward at the best of times. This forum is good to ask questions in.

-Read forum
-Sitck with your team
-Use R (targetting enemies)

#5 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:56 PM

don't buy an assault, get a medium or fast heavy for your first mech, preferably with ecm and/or jump jets.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:54 AM

View Postkalashnikity, on 29 June 2020 - 08:56 PM, said:

don't buy an assault, get a medium or fast heavy for your first mech, preferably with ecm and/or jump jets.

This. Assaults, even though they are more heavily armored most are SLOW and it also makes you a bigger target.
  • Drop the in-game mouse sensitivity down to between 0.1 and 0.2.
  • Change Arm-Lock (keep button pressed to unlock arms from torso) to Toggle Arm-Lock. (toggles arm lock off/on from default setup)
  • Of Trial Mechs - Heavy Timber Wolf is okay, as well as Medium Stormcrow, iffy for Enforcer for new player. If you wanted to pilot an assault, Kodiak, then Battlemaster/Warhawk. I would advise against any of the trial lights, though if you did use one of the trials, do NOT stop, always keep moving since speed makes it more difficult to target/hit you unless tis streaks/LRM/ATM locks..
  • Do not be in a hurry to purchase a mech without doing some research, and asking questions. And never sell a mech since it would lose 50% of its value....

#7 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:37 AM

Check guys jarls stats before listening to their advice/ build.
https://leaderboard.isengrim.org

Turn down mouse sense!!!!!!!!!

#8 Reavers

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:21 AM

I decided to just grab the Solaris Pack. I mean why not.

Now I just need to start playing.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:44 PM

Best of Luck! If you need some tipps where to start with builds for your S7 mechs, just ask!

#10 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:16 AM

Hey "I got x bugs and want to achive y, what to buy" is a good question as well. There are rly good offers on some sales/packets and u can waste lots of money on more or less useless heroes.

#11 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:47 AM

If you run IS mechs buy just a few engines such as 260 lfe,260 xl and swap that engine into other IS mechs. Engine swapping will save you lots.

#12 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

Back in the day, certain mechs were better buys because they came with good engines.That also often accounted for one variant being more expensive than another of the same chassis... they had a much better engine.
I'd look into that if you're considering a couple mechs..
It could be beneficial in case you just wanted to try out that mech later on, or even strip its weapons for now.

For example, an XL275 is the smallest that holds a heatsink in it, saving you some slots. A 300XL holds 2 heatsinks.
It may be worth it to free up the tonnage to go from 270 to 275 in order to save the slots that a heatsink would have occupied.

Research FF armor vs Endosteel, various builds benefit from one more than the other.

You're going to be rolling in bonuses for your first 25 games... then you earn less. Spend it wisely.

Communicate, call targets, and listen to others calling targets. ESPECIALLY if its an ECM mech that you can't target to show up on team mates radar. "R" your enemy... they don't show up on your radar under you can see them, or they are targeted by a team mate. If you don't target them, your team can't see that they are there.

#13 Reavers

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

View PostS e 7 e N, on 01 July 2020 - 12:36 PM, said:

I have a tip, I'm a fairly new player, but its something that really REALLY gets on my nerves when somebody does this. I'm sure this will ring true with the old timers.

What am I talking about... RAMP or WALKWAY BLOCKING. Just don't, don't do it.

If you go up a ramp or on a walk way, and you have team members behind you, DON'T just stop and start firing, clear first, move over then fire.
When I see this, Its extremely annoying, and if a push is involved it will kill it stone dead, and will probably result in a few deaths and very salty players afterwards.

Don't be that guy, just don't do it.

-x se7en x-

Thanks for the tip. Haha even as a new timer this drives me nuts it's like getting stuck behind the AI in Mechwarrior 5.

#14 Reavers

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:29 AM

View Postchevy42083, on 01 July 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

Back in the day, certain mechs were better buys because they came with good engines.That also often accounted for one variant being more expensive than another of the same chassis... they had a much better engine.
I'd look into that if you're considering a couple mechs..
It could be beneficial in case you just wanted to try out that mech later on, or even strip its weapons for now.

For example, an XL275 is the smallest that holds a heatsink in it, saving you some slots. A 300XL holds 2 heatsinks.
It may be worth it to free up the tonnage to go from 270 to 275 in order to save the slots that a heatsink would have occupied.

Research FF armor vs Endosteel, various builds benefit from one more than the other.

You're going to be rolling in bonuses for your first 25 games... then you earn less. Spend it wisely.

Communicate, call targets, and listen to others calling targets. ESPECIALLY if its an ECM mech that you can't target to show up on team mates radar. "R" your enemy... they don't show up on your radar under you can see them, or they are targeted by a team mate. If you don't target them, your team can't see that they are there.

Sound advice all around.

For some reason I can't hear it when my squad is talking, unless no one has said anything my last ten matches which is doubtful. I'll have to go in and double check the settings to make sure I didn't mute something.

I kept thinking damn these matches are a lot harder when no one says a word.

So far I've had the best success with the Hunchback, and Timberwolf. Last night during the sale I bought a Uziel on a whim. I only got to play one match with it so far, but it's super fast and packs a decent punch. Totally different play style than the others though so I might shelve it for a bit, just to make sure I can focus on the basics.

Right now I'd say I'm a tier four player, but it's hard to tell on my second day they did the reset and everyone's been fighting their way through tier three. Spectating has helped me learn a lot.

Edited by Reavers, 02 July 2020 - 07:30 AM.

#15 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:02 AM

View Postchevy42083, on 01 July 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

All engines hold the number of heat sinks equal to engine rating divided by 25 (rounded down). This is why engine ratings below 250 require you to add more heat sinks onto the chassis.

If you only have slots for one, go with Endo for bigger tonnage savings. Most lights can afford both. Some heavier mechs may only want Light Ferro (only 7 slots) or none at all because they need the slots for heat sinks and ammo.

Good advice.

Another point... learn mech silhouettes. They're fairly distinctive and with very few exceptions you can tell them apart quite easily. There's no ECM against Mark I Eyeball.q

Edited by Horseman, 02 July 2020 - 09:02 AM.

#16 Zephrym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:29 PM

View PostReavers, on 02 July 2020 - 07:29 AM, said:

For some reason I can't hear it when my squad is talking, unless no one has said anything my last ten matches which is doubtful. I'll have to go in and double check the settings to make sure I didn't mute something.

IIRC, voip and chat are disabled for your first matches to limit troll activity. Probably during cadet phase (25 matches).

Z.

#17 Zephrym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:46 PM

It's generally accepted that a good first mech is either the Warhammer (6R) or a Hellbringer if you want to splurge the c-bills....but as mentioned above, spend wisely. Both chassis are pretty flexible, mobile and fun.

Other good advice, is research and learn from your mistakes. What went well, and why. What went badly and why. How can I improve etc. Watch youtube, twitch, ask questions.

Ensure your weapon load-outs compliment each other with regard range. For example, Inner Sphere Large Lasers and ER Medium lasers have similar range brackets and work well together. Having a mish mash of assorted weaponry may sound like fun and allow you to compete at different ranges but....no. Focus on a range bracket and equip accordingly (caveat: backup weapons can be a life saver with primarily long range (or minimum range) weaponry).

The minimap is your friend. Pressing R and understanding your enemies load-out is your friend. Map knowledge is your friend. Time and experience and owning and sampling mechs will give you a greater understanding of you and your enemies strengths and weaknesses.

For settings, RJBass did a youtube video () that may be slightly out of date now but is a good starting point.

Finally. Try everything and learn what suits you best. Enjoy.

Hope that is of some help.

Z.

#18 Reavers

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the info!

I've been spending most of my time in Hunchback with an ac/20 and 4 medium pulse lasers with AMS, and the rest in a the Timberwolf from the Solaris pack.

I'm a little lost on what to do sometimes as I'll do some damage not die, we win and I move down. Is there something you have to do to move up, like a certain amount of dps, saves, kill, or kill assist?

I think at some point I'll have to join a group and play in a coordinated games to really lock in what my job is. Right now I'm just having fun and figuring it out.

Had a nice solo kill against a Rifleman in my Hunchie today. That's what it's all about.

#19 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:08 PM

View PostReavers, on 02 July 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

Thanks for the info!

I've been spending most of my time in Hunchback with an ac/20 and 4 medium pulse lasers with AMS, and the rest in a the Timberwolf from the Solaris pack.

I'm a little lost on what to do sometimes as I'll do some damage not die, we win and I move down. Is there something you have to do to move up, like a certain amount of dps, saves, kill, or kill assist?

I think at some point I'll have to join a group and play in a coordinated games to really lock in what my job is. Right now I'm just having fun and figuring it out.

Had a nice solo kill against a Rifleman in my Hunchie today. That's what it's all about.

Glad you're having fun. Posted Image

The Solaris Pack doesn't have a Timby, perhaps you are thinking of another mech?

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#20 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:45 PM

I guess he's thinking about the Mad Dog?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users