You Guys Think It Is Time For More Mech Variants?

42 replies to this topic

#1 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:38 AM

Hi guys, just wondering if it is time for more Mech Variants of current existing Chassis to be added into the game? I mean adding a new Mech Chassis is more troublesome than just making a Mech Variant.

Well, hope this gets some attention from PGI.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:58 AM

View PostReposter, on 15 July 2020 - 07:38 AM, said:

Hi guys, just wondering if it is time for more Mech Variants of current existing Chassis to be added into the game? I mean adding a new Mech Chassis is more troublesome than just making a Mech Variant.

Well, hope this gets some attention from PGI.

Hard to say.

If some chassis is mediocre, weak, obsolete or outright bad (like Orion, Charger or Cougar), then adding a new variant with one or two different hardpoints will probably change nothing.

And if some 'Mech is strong, powerful in the current meta or has good omnipods (in case of some Clan OmniMechs), then adding one more variant would mean nothing. People will probably not switch to a new variant, just because it has been added, if the existing one works better.

Honestly, this game has much bigger problems than the lack of 'Mech variants.

#3 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:01 AM

The game is in maintenance mode, "new" almost anything isn't coming unless it involves negligible amounts of coding.

/thread

#4 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:07 AM

When exactly is MWO going to be out of Maintenance mode? PGI got the license extended but are just making new Challenges every month... when will they start making decent new Content again. Things like new maps and mech variants need some effort yes but you know people want some new stuff if not why bother extending the License?

#5 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:11 AM

There will never be new content for MWO again, you can be sure of that.

MWO2 perhaps someday...

#6 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

Do you speak for PGI officially? They have been patching the game and making changes, so new content may still happen...

#7 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:16 AM

No, I'm just going off the head of the company's statements from more than a year ago that MWO is in maintenance mode and development is finished. The only material patch has been the PSR change, and that amounted to asking the community to devise a new formula for them to copy in.

#8 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

Okay, if you are not an Official PGI guy, then I guess we have to wait and see what happens. It is lame to extend the License and not do anything else with it.

Do you play MechWarrior 5? I did not buy that game but only support MWO.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

View PostReposter, on 15 July 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

When exactly is MWO going to be out of Maintenance mode?

Nobody knows.

Russ Bullock has never said when the Maintenance period will end.

PGI got the license extended but are just making new Challenges every month...

These challenges are just rehashed old ones with different title and date.

when will they start making decent new Content again.

Nobody knows. We have been told by PGI in December "Just play and do not worry".

Things like new maps and mech variants need some effort yes but you know people want some new stuff if not why bother extending the License?

PGI needs MechWarrior licence to sell their MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries game. Without the licence this would not be possible.

#10 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

Well, the license covers other products obviously.

I refunded MW5, which appears to have been a fantastic decision.

#11 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,076 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

Unless pgi can do worse than the spider 5v's 2ct points or that clan jenner with six mgs such as 2b in ct only lct or 1m in ct and head slot atlas I doubt pgi can make any thing new.

I played most of yesterday runing my catapults and forgot their base quirks so I went to the in game store to look. Then I realized my c4 just tied my c1f with xp both at 101,090 not including past xp,hxp or gxp. My lowest xp on them is 80,00-90,00 for the cat bb.

When you can just build your own mech with clan omnis what can pgi add? Worse is battle mechs? A mega quirk 70% laser duration on the lct-1v? Working lams? How bout they turn back on ik and knock downs while putting all the dragons on 80% off sale?

#12 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:38 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 15 July 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

Unless pgi can do worse than the spider 5v's 2ct points or that clan jenner with six mgs such as 2b in ct only lct or 1m in ct and head slot atlas I doubt pgi can make any thing new.

I played most of yesterday runing my catapults and forgot their base quirks so I went to the in game store to look. Then I realized my c4 just tied my c1f with xp both at 101,090 not including past xp,hxp or gxp. My lowest xp on them is 80,00-90,00 for the cat bb.

When you can just build your own mech with clan omnis what can pgi add? Worse is battle mechs? A mega quirk 70% laser duration on the lct-1v? Working lams? How bout they turn back on ik and knock downs while putting all the dragons on 80% off sale?

Ok, to be fair to the 5V, it's actually amazing at what it does. It's just that the main job of that variant(capping objectives and squirreling) pay pretty much nothing as far as Matchscore and Cbills go, so nobody plays it unless they are either a die-hard Spider fanatic or are bored as hell and want to try something new.

As for IK and Knockdowns, officially the reason they couldn't be re-added is because of networking shenanigans.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:40 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 16 July 2020 - 01:38 PM, said:

networking shenanigans.

That's an interesting way of saying hurt feelings:

#14 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:46 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 16 July 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

That's an interesting way of saying hurt feelings:

Yeah, thats the unofficial reason. I just didn't want to bring it up in case I get censured by the mods for devbashing.

Edited by Requiemking, 16 July 2020 - 01:46 PM.

#15 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,076 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:01 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 16 July 2020 - 01:38 PM, said:

Ok, to be fair to the 5V, it's actually amazing at what it does. It's just that the main job of that variant(capping objectives and squirreling) pay pretty much nothing as far as Matchscore and Cbills go, so nobody plays it unless they are either a die-hard Spider fanatic or are bored as hell and want to try something new.

As for IK and Knockdowns, officially the reason they couldn't be re-added is because of networking shenanigans.

More like pgi when umm with the quirks on it got drunk and said good enough. If it was amazing at those things i'd see more doing just that in drops but I don't. The best use of it as a pure troll harrasser with an lfe and mpls or er mls with 2-4 jump jets.

#16 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:31 PM

We need more variants and more IIC mechs. Perfect solution...Urbie IIC.

#17 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:22 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 16 July 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

More like pgi when umm with the quirks on it got drunk and said good enough. If it was amazing at those things i'd see more doing just that in drops but I don't. The best use of it as a pure troll harrasser with an lfe and mpls or er mls with 2-4 jump jets.

Again, with what they have, Spider 5V is probably one of the best mechs in the game for objective capping and squirreling. Problem is, again, when it comes to Matchscore and Cbill earnings, Squirreling pays nothing and you earn so little from Objectives that it's simply not worth it most of the time.

#18 DevinMace

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

View PostReposter, on 15 July 2020 - 08:13 AM, said:

Do you speak for PGI officially? They have been patching the game and making changes, so new content may still happen...

So during the pandemic more people were playing video games then ever basically in history, and more people started playing MWO again. So PGI smartly tried to capitalize on that by doing some low cost changes, that would not cost too much IE manpower. However, not enough people have started to play again to afford any real changes.

The other issue is the engine for this game to make it newer, it would have to be completely replaced, and thus basically starting from new. In order for that to happen I imagine PGI would need some new capital, and or have proof that it would be a great success. Which by their handling for MW5 or rather I guess its level of success I doubt it will make enough money for a new game.

#19 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 16 July 2020 - 08:22 PM, said:

Again, with what they have, Spider 5V is probably one of the best mechs in the game for objective capping and squirreling. Problem is, again, when it comes to Matchscore and Cbill earnings, Squirreling pays nothing and you earn so little from Objectives that it's simply not worth it most of the time.

If we are talking about Conquest ...

I would say that it is better to be on the losing side with score padded with damage and kills than to be on the winning side and get red arrow because your points for capping (and some low damage/assists) mean very low match score.

#20 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

View Postdario03, on 16 July 2020 - 07:31 PM, said:

We need more variants and more IIC mechs. Perfect solution...Urbie IIC.

I advocate for the IIC being a hero variant of the Urbie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users