Psr Tier Metrics - Round 1

644 replies to this topic

#41 DevinMace

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:23 PM

Couple things, Match quality way way up tonight, far fewer stomps. Secondly Cadets have to start in the middle like everyone else sadly or it isn't zero sum, it is not ideal but this is how it works.

Also in tier 3 still but the MM is super slow for us as well, it is not just a tier 1 thing. I expect as people move towards their true tiers matches will continue to improve, tho the current release at least on a weekday night was not ideal. The weekend will be a good test however.

#42 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:43 PM

Played a few matches tonight, the wait time is insane. Literally 3 matches yesterday = 1 match today. Alternated between reading and dozing off.

50% of matches were stomps, but better than the 75% before. If we can hold this, great, but I think if the pop didn't support it before the PSR patch, it won't support it now.

#43 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:50 PM

Been waiting in queue to get matched up vs. T3s eventually anyway. This move seems too soon.

#44 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:53 PM

Wait times in T1 are similar to getting a faction match, too long IMO. Matches are intense, you can tell that pretty much everybody knows what they're doing, which is a welcome change of pace, but the wait times have me logging out and playing some Space Engineers.

Edited by Tyler Valentine, 17 July 2020 - 07:39 PM.

#45 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:16 PM

So now I have to wait not only for FP match, but also for QP?
Nice.
What is the point of a game you cannot play?

#46 Saint OZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 15 July 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

So now I have to wait not only for FP match, but also for QP?
Nice.
What is the point of a game you cannot play?

Это называется: За что боролись, на то и напоролись.
An English analogue: А Taste of your own medicine.

#47 BenMillard

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 38 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:56 PM

This is what we've all been asking for.

Let's give it a chance.

It's a nice surprise to suddenly be in matches where, as mentioned, everyone knows what they are doing. (Apart from me, it seems!) I lost more than I won but did enough relative to my team to keep the T1 bar about where it was.

The movement of the bar is quite fast but stable enough to survive a few bad results. Seems good.

If T1 gets big enough for exclusive matches, that will basically turn into "Quick Comp Play". I'll certainly drop out from that level, into T2...

...T2 is already bigger than T1. With enough T1 to play themselves, T2 will form a rather nice "Reheated Soup Queue". Free from new and returning players derping and also free from sweaty groups stomping them. That's probably where I should be. Really sounds like a fun middle ground.

T3 and below will resume the chaotic mosh pit that was Quick Play before sweaty group drops. "It is what it is." Hopefully I won't end up in those games again.

You probably have to send mixed groups upwards, on the highest player in the group, rather than downwards to the average. Averaged mixed groups will stomp casual and returning players. Moving them up to the 'mentor' in the group does mean newer players (or returning players) who join in will face tougher players, but they have the guidance of the mentor and support of their group. Ultimately, if those 'student' players are trying to move up, they need to see the games their 'mentor' plays in. That will prepare them best for playing at this level, if they succeed.

Edited by BenMillard, 15 July 2020 - 09:59 PM.

#48 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:43 PM

The skew to Tier 1 could be because less T1's left the game due to the merge queue and PSR reset compared to more T4's and T5's left the game due to the merge queue and PSR reset.

I mean T5 was the biggest block before the merge and reset, and they lose pretty much all the time now so their PSR go down rate should be pretty high.

Guess they left before they found their equilibrium Tier level. Posted Image

Sorry if this has been mentioned already.

Edit for grammar

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 July 2020 - 11:14 PM.

#49 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:47 PM

4 min wait times? Did that ever happen in QP? During recent months with various lockdowns and working from home, I have played even on weekend evenings in Oceania and I got matches faster than that.

Is it too many changes too fast to even get a sense of what would work with the current population? How long did the 8v8 group 'experiment' even last?

There's something ironic about group players not playing various group queues enough for it to be populated, edning up with groups in QP, resulting in a hot mess that really exposed the MM troubles, and now Tier 1 should have the relatively skilled, there's still not enough of them to form matches.

I hope Tier 4 is ok, I've played enough lights and mediums to see mostly down arrows to end up there for now. Been a fair few stomps going any whcih way, meaning very boring matches over in minutes.

I like the sound of the summer lootbag event, hope we can get matches to actually play in.

edit:spellunk

Edited by TheFourthAlly, 15 July 2020 - 10:49 PM.

#50 Magic Pain Glove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:47 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 15 July 2020 - 07:53 PM, said:

They knew this, they made the change simply to triage the uber groups away from T3 players for a while.

So merging solo and group queue proved to be a sufficient enough problem for them to resort to this ? Who would have thought ... People just couldnt see this coming from a mile away . /s

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah , its fine .

#51 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:51 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 15 July 2020 - 07:45 PM, said:

Ya know you could just move back by the LRM pilots, and have the front line move there, you don't have to always run to the center right away

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-

is there a way to see your QP PSR numbers ?
maybe I'm blind and just can't find it, if there is

You know ... The domination regime often wins the vote. Please tell me where to retreat in this case? Out of the circle?
In general, LRM pilots are very courageous. When you have already sold all your armor on the normal mech and cannot stand on the front line, you try to step back a little. And when the LRM pilots see this, they run even further even faster.
Do these people deserve the award along with the rest of the players?

#52 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:51 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 15 July 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

The skew to Tier 1 could be because less T1's left the game due to the merge queue and PSR reset than more T4's and T5's left the game due to the merge queue and PSR reset.

I mean T5 was the biggest block before the merge and reset, and they lose pretty much all the time now so their PSR go down rate should be pretty high.

Guess they left before they found their equilibrium Tier level. Posted Image

The saltiest people by far are those who were tier 1 before and have dropped into 4 or 5 post reset. I reckon a lot of them would be pulling the pin once they get to 4 and keep dropping. No reason for people going the other way to get salty.

Until the average wait time exceeds average match time anyhow. Then I'll get salty.

#53 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:55 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 15 July 2020 - 08:09 PM, said:

That's no surprise. Cadets start in Tier 3 right now.

Thx. I did not know about it.

#54 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:12 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 15 July 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Now there are some caveates there. If a group of 3 Tier 1 players decides to add a Tier 3 or lower player to their group, there's nothing we can do about that.

Um, ban groups from the general queue? As it has been done years before? For these very reasons?

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 15 July 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

Stock mech builds are lore too with customizations being ridiculously expensive and rare.

Repair costs are also lore.

Re-arming costs are also lore.

Permanent destruction of mechs is also lore

Pilot knockouts with long recovery times are also lore

If every bit of "lore" were present in MWO literally no one would play this game.

If we also had a big and rich space sandbox with character roleplay, dynamic space politics and logistics and generally a lot of things to do... And melee combat in mechs... And battle armor and spaceships... I would play the heck out of it! Needless to say this is not exactly what we have here or, you know, in the other game.

#55 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:27 PM

People complaining about wait times, well thats the price you pay for match making that may well save the game. Posted Image

Think of it as medicine for the game that tastes like sheets but may save us to play another day or the game goes under.

Besides if T1's have not got any peers to play against it lowers and moderates the stompage by them of the lower teirs to one game every 4 minutes.
Self regulating to some extent.

Its great idea! Can't believe it came from PGI!

Edit: 4 minutes till valves open is the price you pay for stomping the rest of the player base!
Entry fee to Sealandia!
Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 July 2020 - 11:57 PM.

#56 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:48 PM

nice work

#57 morosis

• PipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:51 PM

since there are less people to matchmake with in t1 t2, can we have the option to 8v8?

itll make things faster right since you only need 16 players not 24?

and maybe also give you the chance to put groups back in their own queue.

which fixes a huge piece of the current game state, imo.

Edited by morosis, 15 July 2020 - 11:59 PM.

#58 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:57 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 15 July 2020 - 11:27 PM, said:

Stuff I wrote in my previous post

For example if their are 62 T3 players and 10 T1 players in the available player pool queue the 4 minute delay allows 2 all T3 player games to form before a big skill gap T1 v T3 game forms.

So that only one out of 3 games has a large skill gap in this particular case which may be an easier pill to swallow than if the valves were allowed to open earlier and all three games contain T1's instead.

The bigger the ratio of T1 to T3's in this case would mean the stompage pain from lower Tiers vs T1 skillgap would be shared over a larger number of player*
(*There is some randomness involved, you could get unlucky and meet T1 several games in a row is possible)

But to do that the price is wait times increased for higher Tiers, which imo is fair considering the stompage they get to enjoy.

Besides its mostly T4 and T5's leaving not T1's, mostly Posted Image

Increase wait time for T4 and T5 too if less than 24 players available !

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 16 July 2020 - 01:55 AM.

#59 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

View PostClay Endfield, on 15 July 2020 - 06:13 PM, said:

Does PGI have any plans to adjust matchscore calculation? Cause right now, I'm feeling kinda penalized for playing a pinpoint heavy versus the guy boating LRMs on a 100 ton Assault mech; they're gonna get higher matchscore for sitting in the back and leaching target data, when their assault mech is supposed to be applying pressure on the enemy frontline and sharing armor team closer to the front. I'm the one risking my neck, using a config designed to kill rather than soften targets, and I'm being awarded 1/3rd of the mooch's matchscore who is exerting little to no skill and detracting from the team by using 100 tons of mech to do a 65 ton mech's job. Because it only takes me 2-5 alphas to kill (AC 20; 2x Snub PPC combo), I'm doomed to come out behind the mooch anyways, because it takes less damage for me to kill a target than it does the LRM mooch.

Can you guys track LRM damage per player in a match, and award 1/2 the score for damage dealt for LRMs to the matchscore total? It might cut back on all the LURM farmers spoiling every event, if LRMs are worse at amassing matchscore than just your run of the mill brawler/laser vomit build.

That would not be fair on people that play LRM builds only occasionally, you would then be putting them into the same situation as yourself, feeling they are being unfairly treated as they didn't use a build you have deemed worthy of play.
Not everyone that plays LRM's does it to farm, leech locks etc etc. missiles are the only weapon in the game that have a counter in AMS that earns huge matchscores, probably more than from actually firing the missiles in my experience.

#60 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

So in 16 days around 18% of people have moved out of T3. When it continues at this pace everyone should have his spot in about 96 day or about 3 month.

Lets wait and see how things are when that time comes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users