27 replies to this topic

#21 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:47 AM

View PostHiten Bongz, on 01 August 2020 - 08:33 AM, said:

Will keep waiting for discounted Steam release.

Don't support Epic GS or China.

In that case I suggest you stop living a modern life and go under a rock imidiatly. It is very likely that 90% of the stuff you own has been produced in china or a company assosiated with china.

#22 Rinkata Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 315 posts
  • LocationSoviet Clans

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:58 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 31 July 2020 - 06:15 AM, said:

By the time MW5 releases in steam the entire gaming community has noticed that it barely had buzz and stopped being spoken about less than a month after release.

Be lucky if people bought it in the quarterly sales at a steep discount to be honest, that may be the reason they're not porting it over because at this point it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Throw on top of that the sea of people who would buy the game on steam, write a novel about the little "epic switcheroo" fiasco, then refund to absolutely tank their stores and i kinda can't blame them for not taking the time to transfer at this point.

I have played BATTLETECH recently. And I can say way too many bad things about that game. But modders fixing this game as much as possible. So I am not thinking about MW5 as a standalone project, but a game with modding community in support. Not a new Skyrim definitely, but comunity still can make this game better. So I wish PGI best of luck in testing their mod support in EGS to shine brightly in Steam workshop! Posted Image

Edited by Rinkata Prime, 02 August 2020 - 02:00 AM.

#23 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

View PostHiten Bongz, on 01 August 2020 - 08:33 AM, said:

Will keep waiting for discounted Steam release.

Don't support Epic GS or China.

View PostNesutizale, on 01 August 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

In that case I suggest you stop living a modern life and go under a rock imidiatly. It is very likely that 90% of the stuff you own has been produced in china or a company assosiated with china.

Buying a product that was made in a Chinese factory is not the same as supporting a Tencent-backed storefront intentionally trying to corner the market by buying exclusives.

I guess I could have worded my statement better, so let me make this abundantly clear: I don't have a problem with most Chinese people, but I do find issue with Tencent (who owns close to 50% of EGS) and their ties to the communist Chinese government.

You can easily google search Tencent and read up about their willingness to data share, surveil, and release identities and digital conversations to the Chinese government. When I buy a plastic container at the store that was made in China, there's no risk to me of a data breach by the CCP.

That said, I'll spend my money where I want to and how I want to, and it's not really any of your business.

Edited by Hiten Bongz, 02 August 2020 - 10:23 AM.

#24 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:59 AM

Buying/Selling exclusive rights ... you can find that everwhere. Most recently with Disney as one of the bigger examples, buying everything left and right.

You can also find have it with TV shows or products you can buy in one grocery store but not in the other. Its everywhere and its not even new to the gameing industrie.
I remember that, when you would still buy games at store physicaly, that you couldn't find them in every store that sold games. Even back then there where exclusive deals for certain shops to sell a game or combining a certain promotion with a game.
Later you had big publishers like EA buying up companies to corner the market, then came Steam. Basicly createing a monopol on downloadable games for years.

Do you have to like it? No, definitly not. I would also prefere if companies would make their products widely avaible. Is it something new? No definitly not and it will not go away anytime soon. From a quick look I found that the oldest lawsuits about this data back to 1414. So its been around for a few hundret years...I guess it will stay a while longer.

As for Tencent and sharing data. The goverment forces, to my knowledge, the companies to share the information. Willingness has nothing to do with it. Also may I remind you that the US goverment wanted to force Apple and Microsoft to implement backdoors into their systems too. All under the "security" arguement. Its allways facinating how people are willing to give up their personal freedoms for "security".

On the point of bad wording, yes I also made that mistake it seams. "Modern life" didn't meant you going for tupperware ^_^
I meant you should stop using your computer, mobile phone or smart TV.
Also don't go online. Lots of chinese servers around or at least using chinese hardware and there was this report that chinese companies incooperate chips in server hardware to monitor stuff.

You may also watch or listen to Tencent sponsored music and films as Tencent is also involved in those two markets and mobile gameing and cloud services.

Speaking about Tencent investments, you can find them here too
- Activision Blizzard
- Frontier Development
- Funcom
- Paradox Interactive
- Riot Games
- Snapchat
- Spotify
- Tesla
- Ubisoft

So Epic is just one of many "western" companies they have invested into. Are you consequently also avoiding those, now that you know that Tencent is invested there?

#25 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:49 AM

Why are you spending time arguing for a multi-billion dollar corporation against the personal interests of a fellow consumer?

Are you on their payroll? If not, why does it matter to you why someone doesn't want to pay another faceless corporation designed to consume resources their hard earned cash?

He could not give patronage to Epic because he doesn't like the way the "c" in their logo hits in the light at 6PM on a sunday and it would still be a perfectly valid reason to never use their service.

What has happened to us when we're arguing against people just like us in favor of entities that would watch us die if it made their profits increase by a large enough percentage?

#26 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:30 AM

I am not argueing for a certain company.

Just telling that exclusive deals aren't new and that they are part of the economy we are living in. They are an integral part of the "fight for costumers" or competition as its called.
Beside that I also say that I would prefer it to be different.

As for sharing data with goverments. That is also something not exclusive to China, others just hide that better.
*cough* Apple backdoor *cough*

Furthermore I point out where you can find Tencent invested in. They have by now spread to all kinds of media and invested in a lot of companies worldwide.
So when he tells me to avoid Tencent by all means, then it means you also have to question who you are buying products from much more then he might realise. I was just giveing a small example for this one company.

When he is concerned about what companies are working directly or indirectly with china he has to dig alot deeper. I just wanted him to realise that its not that simple as "I don't buy from Epic store".
That will basicly do nothing.

So no I am not on anyones payroll. I just want to make people aware that this is by far a much bigger problem then one online store or one company. Nearly everything in the world is interconected today over several steps. Be it in production, where they get their resources from or who is invested in some other company.

#27 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:18 PM

I really didn't come here to argue politics.

You can spend your money however you like, and I'll spend mine however I like.

Simple as that.

Edited by Hiten Bongz, 03 August 2020 - 06:19 PM.

#28 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:42 AM

天哪,我被发现了。卡佩兰联邦万岁!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users