Final Resting Tier?

15 replies to this topic

#1 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:38 PM

I slowly moved out of tier 3 and am now at tier 2 and slowly climbing. This made me wonder where will I stop, because I don't see what will prevent me from getting to tier 1, where I probably don't belong.

The problem is this:
The MM only looks at tiers, so it makes NO difference if I am at the bottom or top of the PSR bar of tier 2. So, if I am advancing in tier 2 and still get the same kind of matches from the MM (statistically speaking), I am destined to advance all the way to the end - it is just a matter of number of games played.
Once I cross to tier 1 the MM may (or may not, see below) put me in games against better players and I will drop back to tier 2 - where I will advance back into tier 1...
So, I will get stuck at the tier1/tier2 border, fluctuating between the tiers.

There is nothing special about me, so it seem that after a while the players population will be concentrated at the edges of the tiers and fluctuate up/down between these tiers. If the population of players is low and the MM is forced to draw players from multiple tiers, then crossing the tiers will make little difference in the games that you get and the population will migrate all the way to the edges getting concentrated at the top of tier 1 and bottom of tier 5.

Still better than an XP bar I suppose.

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:53 PM

The mm uses PSR, so there is a difference between low T2 and high T2.

But most matches in T2 are with T1 anyway so you probably won't notice much change, other than the absence of cadets.

#3 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:27 PM

Holding bravely in tier 3, playing at many different hours, somehow couldn't get a grip but sometimes can do a job. Probably I will stuck somewhere between 3-2, good enough for me.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:37 PM

i figured id have made t2 by now, but im still in the underhive. i very much doubt im going to get back to t1, but id like to get back to t2 so i can avoid the potato tier players.

#5 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

I wanna go to tier 5. But downwards grind was too much so easier to go up instead.

#6 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:50 PM

Rested at T1, was boring, working towards T3.

May go back to T1 after a few weeks, just to see if match variety has improved.

Finished Beach Party challenges and feel little impulse to play without an external goal started.

#7 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:55 PM

Maybe try dropping your team mates PSR too.
Sure they will appreciate it.
Can't tell, switched off chat and voip which is FINE!

#8 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 639 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:20 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 04 August 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

Maybe try dropping your team mates PSR too.
Sure they will appreciate it.
Can't tell, switched off chat and voip which is FINE!

I did the same- too much salt right from the start of every match now.

#9 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up
I couldn't tell coz me chat and voips off
sweet, I mean salty Posted Image

#10 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:29 AM

Reading throught the forums I allways get the impression that the higher the Tier the saltier things get.
Well I am just fine at T3. Every now and then a good dropcaller even appears or some chattie groups that are fun listing to.

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:58 AM

Nah just merged queues make me salty and explode with anger.
They took the last bastion of soloness
And infected it with stuff that killed two other once marginally viable queues.
Geniuses obviously, Go figure.
And the numbers are up, Carona19 must be getting pretty bad.

#12 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:23 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 05 August 2020 - 12:29 AM, said:

Reading throught the forums I allways get the impression that the higher the Tier the saltier things get.
Well I am just fine at T3. Every now and then a good dropcaller even appears or some chattie groups that are fun listing to.

Tier 1 QP games tend to lack salt as far as in-game voip. Even if somebody does something really dumb at the end to lose a game, we’ve generally seen it all before and it’s just soup-queue (so what do you expect).....tier 1 players seem to save their salt for their twitch streams and for responding to really dumb forum posts.

#13 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:55 AM

There is no mechanism whatsoever for players to reach a "resting" tier/PSR.

The way the system is designed above average players will slowly rise towards maximum PSR (5000) and below average players will drop towards 0 PSR.

Basically it's a system designed to go increasingly blind over time.

This problem was described and predicted during the discussion, but the model was pushed through by parts of the community regardless.

This was probably the last chance to get better matchmaking before the game dies and unfortunately it was completely blown in favour of petty politics, a damn shame but it is what it is.

Edited by Sjorpha, 05 August 2020 - 06:57 AM.

#14 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:43 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 05 August 2020 - 06:23 AM, said:

Tier 1 QP games tend to lack salt as far as in-game voip. Even if somebody does something really dumb at the end to lose a game, we’ve generally seen it all before and it’s just soup-queue (so what do you expect).....tier 1 players seem to save their salt for their twitch streams and for responding to really dumb forum posts.

T1 games don't have salt in VOIP because many of their players don't use comms since you don't need to talk to walk in a circle, because they're in a premade group on the discord and don't need to coordinate with teammates who are just a meatshield to them anyway, and because they're prioritizing talking with the huge crowd of 3 people who form the community of their years old twitch channels.

#15 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:04 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 05 August 2020 - 07:43 AM, said:

T1 games don't have salt in VOIP because many of their players don't use comms since you don't need to talk to walk in a circle, because they're in a premade group on the discord and don't need to coordinate with teammates who are just a meatshield to them anyway, and because they're prioritizing talking with the huge crowd of 3 people who form the community of their years old twitch channels.

The fact checkers at the Washington Post rate this response as:

One Pinocchio
Some shading of the facts. Selective telling of the truth. Some omissions and exaggerations, but no outright falsehoods. (You could view this as "mostly true.")

Not bad...not bad at all...

#16 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:26 AM

Interesting thing with that tier split. Maybe it's about the system, or maybe something else, but once somehow even in toxic relationships we took bullets for each others. Now it's like more grind sometimes, because some left upper tier, like who can carry now and how often? But QP changed since I started playing. I don't know is it good, but it's crazy sometimes. Like I had two dc's in a game and third one blow himself at the beginning of the match. And then ya know ya doomed. Like those 10 assaults in one team. It's dramatic like geting sweat and out of ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users