31 replies to this topic

#21 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:06 AM

Proper T1 don't use and scoff at seismic sensors
but for filthy casuals its acceptable
and has giving me early warning more times than I can count, especially as the spidey senses get older and less spidery.

#22 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

Rocket launchers are a great, but nuanced weapon, which is probably why they never caught on. As long as you don't treat them as the star of the show and instead as supplemental damage, they're great.

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 05 August 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Proper T1 don't use and scoff at seismic sensors
but for filthy casuals its acceptable
and has giving me early warning more times than I can count, especially as the spidey senses get older and less spidery.

Proper Tier 1 player here. I freaking love my seismic sensor!

Edited by Jman5, 05 August 2020 - 09:58 AM.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:14 AM

i remember the first time i used rockets on the pts for newtech, i filled up an archer with rl 20s charged in, did an alpha strike and one hit the enemy (it was an atlas iirc). after that i made a suggestion where by rockets would still technically one use, but fire sequentially and rapidly while the trigger is held and you dont have to fire all of them in one shot. rls would still be able to dish out a lot of dps for a short period of time, but any attempt to fire a lot of them simultaneously would shut you down appropriately.

the pgi solution was to nerf them into oblivion and give them huge spread and a minimum range.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 August 2020 - 11:17 AM.

#24 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:23 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 05 August 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

i remember the first time i used rockets on the pts for newtech, i filled up an archer with rl 20s charged in, did an alpha strike and one hit the enemy (it was an atlas iirc). after that i made a suggestion where by rockets would still technically one use, but fire sequentially and rapidly while the trigger is held and you dont have to fire all of them in one shot. rls would still be able to dish out a lot of dps for a short period of time, but any attempt to fire a lot of them simultaneously would shut you down appropriately.

the pgi solution was to nerf them into oblivion and give them huge spread and a minimum range.

I mean you can do that already. Hit backspace and you set to chain fire. Or do you mean more like how RACs fire?

Edited by Jman5, 05 August 2020 - 11:23 AM.

#25 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:03 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 04 August 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

That build actually loses damage potential after the Rocket Launchers are fired. It drops from 180 Damage down to a meager 20, which makes a useless build on a BushWacker at its' tonnage. When talking of Damage Potential, it is reloadable/reuseable weapons which I speak of and tilt towards. Those do not lose any Damage Potential because the player's Mech can keep putting out the same Damage throughout the entire Match, give or take any parts that were blown off the Mech itself. Posted Image

~D. V. "That design of BSW-P1 may not lose all the Damage Potential, but an 89% loss is not reasonable." Devnull

Of course it loses damage potential after it fires it's single shot weapons, That much is obvious.
What you guys seem to be missing is that, if used correctly a medium, such as the BSX can take down an assault mech very quickly & by itself & then keep fighting with a decent alpha, again, for a medium. Think about it, 50 ton removing 100 ton from the battlefield, that mech has carried it's weight.
I can make it work, Baradul can make it work & I've seen others make it work as well.

#26 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:51 AM

Another build & proof it works thanks to Baradul.

#27 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 07 August 2020 - 12:03 AM, said:

Of course it loses damage potential after it fires it's single shot weapons, That much is obvious.
What you guys seem to be missing is that, if used correctly a medium, such as the BSX can take down an assault mech very quickly & by itself & then keep fighting with a decent alpha, again, for a medium. Think about it, 50 ton removing 100 ton from the battlefield, that mech has carried it's weight.
I can make it work, Baradul can make it work & I've seen others make it work as well.

If used correctly, anything can take down an Assault 'Mech very fast. Rocket Launchers have those high damage numbers [redacted], but their spread makes them garbage. Your Dervish is better off just equipping proper weapons and having a much higher consistent damage output. Anyone you could kill with rockets will be situationally dumb enough to be killable by just about anything else. For example, a double UAC-20 hunchback or UAC-20 + 2xUAC-10 Rifleman IIC puts 80 damage (jam permitting) in a line that can be fired more than once.

And man, that Baradul video Jesus Christ, he perfectly illustrates the pointlessness of rocket launchers right there. All that wasted tonnage to strip the armour off the leg of that Huntsman, then he's trying so hard to catch up to his team's damage with his crappy 4 medium laser / mrm 20 loadout that he's stepping out in front of his team, and nailing others in the back with the lasers due to panicked torso twists, all to play aggressively enough to not regret expending half his weaponry in the first minute.

Edited by RickySpanish, 12 August 2020 - 06:57 AM.

#28 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

they are rubbish because internal structure is greater than armor. they burn through the armor and then internal structure just eats the rest as if it was armor. So you splat some assault for 100 damage and it shrugs it off like it didn't matter. Go on to continue the match.

#29 nickiter

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:24 AM

Call me crazy, but I think rockets are pretty balanced. Huge burst damage (really valuable in this game) in exchange for lower damage the rest of the match.

The only thing that sucks is being the unlucky ******* who gets splatted right off the bat, but tbh is that happening to people a lot...? Because it's happened to me maybe three or four times ever.

#30 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:37 PM

View Postnickiter, on 13 August 2020 - 05:24 AM, said:

The only thing that sucks is being the unlucky ******* who gets splatted right off the bat

... and minimum range.

Their spread is so atrocious that they don't carry much threat as a single weapons system. You have to boat them for effective damage. Getting close can too easily lead to 0 damage.

#31 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:46 PM

Call me crazy, but I think rockets are pretty balanced. Huge burst damage (really valuable in this game) in exchange for lower damage the rest of the match.

The only thing that sucks is being the unlucky ******* who gets splatted right off the bat, but tbh is that happening to people a lot...? Because it's happened to me maybe three or four times ever.

It could happen a lot because everyone likes to push into each other's faces. Though, personally I have only ever been hit by them once and have only used them myself like three times.

Edited by Zirconium Kaze, 13 August 2020 - 06:46 PM.

#32 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:44 PM

View PostJman5, on 05 August 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

I mean you can do that already. Hit backspace and you set to chain fire. Or do you mean more like how RACs fire?

they would be fired kind of like clan lrms, except on a flat trajectory, and you can release to save some for later. you are still constrained by the launcher's rocket count. surge damage remains in play by creating a lot of surge dps (by increasing fire rate and damage) if you loose all your rockets in one salvo. i figure rockets doing 4 damage each would improve the damage/ton and make them viable weapons in more situations.

its one of those things that doesnt translate well from tt. as i understand it you are not constrained to installing them in hardpoints as you are in mwo, and you could put them practically anywhere until you ran out of crit space. in mwo you are limited by however many hardpoints you have, and you also have double armor to deal with.

i dont think they are worth their tonnage. the rl15 means another heat sink or another ton of ammo or a targeting computer for my existing weapons. as for the suicide charge, as is typical for troll builds, the novelty quickly wears off. ive only got kills with them a couple times, suicide charging on the pts when all this stuff was new, and once i got a kill with a single rl10 in a grashopper's head hardpoint.

the only place where i feel the surge damage mechanic works is in solaris, as you can sandblast them with your opening salvo and identify its weak points. its a quick and easy way to figure out if they skimped on their armor somewhere important. they also give you a head start in the armor stripping race. they are well balanced in this narrow use case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users