19 replies to this topic

#1 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • LocationThe Flat and Motionless Earth

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

Some organization and life needs to be brought back into CW. When units or conflicts mattered because you were trying to win a planet for MC. My suggestion is each conflict records are kept for each side and whichever unit tag gets the most wins for that faction and or side wins that conflict and that unit receives an MC reward for it. Also it would encourage people to stay on one side for the entire conflict. Perhaps give a slightly larger reward for attacking as well and winning the conflict. Otherwise people will choose to defend each time. Since population is a bit back up, I think this would be a good idea. I mean we are already faction jumping all the time anyway. This would at least give it a purpose. What do you guys think?!

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:37 AM

Attempt to ride a dead horse?

#3 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:45 AM

Faction is dead. That's the whole reason they added groups to the solo queue. You're going to have to wait for the groups to chase the solos out of the solo queue into faction for it to get any attention.

#4 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:51 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 06 August 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

Faction is dead. That's the whole reason they added groups to the solo queue. You're going to have to wait for the groups to chase the solos out of the solo queue into faction for it to get any attention.

Faction isnt dead. There are 2-3 groups dropping all day, and if there were Mc/Unit rewards you would see a more healthier environment.

Just a simple solution to our current population.

#5 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:24 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 06 August 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

IMO the normal protocol is for the solo's to get chased out Faction into Solo Queue and from Solo Queue out of the game.
Not the other way around.

Doh I agree 2 or 3 groups sounds pretty dead to me. Thats like 1 and a half games, two games with pug fillers.

In case Voltron didn't know Faction has died twice before already. When group died it got resuscitated some what.
The guys who play are truly dedicated, gotta say.

Who knows 3rd times a charm/Lazurus effect.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 07 August 2020 - 04:25 AM.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:16 AM

View PostV O L T R O N, on 07 August 2020 - 03:51 AM, said:

Faction isnt dead. There are 2-3 groups dropping all day, and if there were Mc/Unit rewards you would see a more healthier environment.

I've been saying it for years: If PGI wants more people to play FP, then all they need to do is to dramatically up the rewards for playing it. More overall rewards, more faction specific rewards (climb the ranks as a specific faction get free lore based and merch and mech as you climb; that sort of thing), more FP specific events wouldn't hurt either. Sure, add planetary rewards back in there too.

But the underlying issue is that lots of folks simply don't like FP for what ever reason. Those reasons range from the fact that it is no longer about factions, to reality that there are experts playing it and as such you as a newcomer or crappy player are likely going to get rolled most of the time, and everything in between (4-mech format, time of match, etc.). The only way you are going to get people to play a mode they don't like (short of actually making the mode better in some way -cough- not gonnahappen -cough-) is to bribe them.

#7 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

id honestly want some signs of life that PGI is even looking at MWO. the last thing they did was the PSR, but before that, when was the last patch that balances thing? added mechs? its been too long.

Im pretty sure MWO still makes them money, but they really got to spend more time on it. maintenance mode is BS

#8 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:46 AM

View PostHellbringer, on 07 August 2020 - 07:58 AM, said:

id honestly want some signs of life that PGI is even looking at MWO. the last thing they did was the PSR, but before that, when was the last patch that balances thing? added mechs? its been too long.

Im pretty sure MWO still makes them money, but they really got to spend more time on it. maintenance mode is BS

I can’t believe I am saying it...but personally...I actually would like “to buy a mechpack“....any new content would be so welcome

#9 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:08 AM

Faction is SO dead that you're discussing it in the general forums, dude.

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

Faction rewards would need to be massive at this point since PGI has so devalued their scarcity.

I imported all my MC balance data into a Google sheet and substracted out known tournament winnings and came up with 14,000+ MC given out like candy since January 1st.

All these end of life loot giveaways not only compete and undermine compensation as provided through faction warfare but the very monetization model itself PGI uses since they are no longer in the business of delivering new content via mechpacks.

Braindead QP rewards need to scaled back at the same time faction rewards are increased. The ratio needs to be reset in a way that does not devalue MC or c-bills respective real world currency.

#11 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:32 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 August 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

I've been saying it for years: If PGI wants more people to play FP, then all they need to do is to dramatically up the rewards for playing it. More overall rewards, more faction specific rewards (climb the ranks as a specific faction get free lore based and merch and mech as you climb; that sort of thing), more FP specific events wouldn't hurt either. Sure, add planetary rewards back in there too.

But the underlying issue is that lots of folks simply don't like FP for what ever reason. Those reasons range from the fact that it is no longer about factions, to reality that there are experts playing it and as such you as a newcomer or crappy player are likely going to get rolled most of the time, and everything in between (4-mech format, time of match, etc.). The only way you are going to get people to play a mode they don't like (short of actually making the mode better in some way -cough- not gonnahappen -cough-) is to bribe them.

Bribing newer players to FW (and as amazing as it is there still are new players coming into MWO) is probably the way to go and could work. Heck, they are bribing us this weekend to run some trial mechs (also painful).
With Vets it’s harder. Most Veteran player fall into 2 categories.....1. Players who are never gonna touch FW again....no matter the bribe. 2. Players who would come back to play, if matches were made faster and there was more variety in who you faced (rather than just the same ol’ groups/solos) ....but they don’t really need the bribe (they are space-rich). Group #1 ain’t coming back....group # 2 would be willing to pick it up again only if there was more population. So, bribery only works on folks that are newer to the mode, but if you get just enough people to queues will flow quicker some other more veteran players from group #2 might return a bit more from soup queue. I know I would if the queue flowed faster.

#12 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:39 PM

Personally I stopped FW due to skill gap, 48-0 is boring as, after a while.

Much rather be a potato in Solo Queue even with the merge as 4 mans ain't so skillgapped to deal with compared to 12 co-ordinated pilots. Kinda why I liked scouting.

Thing is my POV

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 07 August 2020 - 12:39 PM.

#13 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:53 AM

View PostV O L T R O N, on 06 August 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

Some organization and life needs to be brought back into CW. When units or conflicts mattered because you were trying to win a planet for MC. My suggestion is each conflict records are kept for each side and whichever unit tag gets the most wins for that faction and or side wins that conflict and that unit receives an MC reward for it. Also it would encourage people to stay on one side for the entire conflict. Perhaps give a slightly larger reward for attacking as well and winning the conflict. Otherwise people will choose to defend each time. Since population is a bit back up, I think this would be a good idea. I mean we are already faction jumping all the time anyway. This would at least give it a purpose. What do you guys think?!

Sounds good.. one reason faction pop is low is there is little incentive to play anymore unless you are one of the experienced players looking for a bit of a challenge or organization.. new players need more of a reason to play it and this would help. Although you would have to add a sort of 'participation' reward for players just getting their feet wet in the cw realm.

#14 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:44 AM

They need to release the cw maps into qp.. as well as the original maps.

#15 Jobe01

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:43 PM

The whole design of faction (4 waves of mechs, the objectives, etc), is designed to let a group of 12 integrated, team focused players shine. The problem is.... with solo drops, or even small group drops... this basically just takes the matchmaker's initial hack at a "balanced team" <scoff> and amplifies it for four rounds. So while occasionally as a solo player you find a fun match, more often than not its a total stomp-fest. particularly when you end up fighting against a well coordinated, communicating pre-organized unit.

That's fine... the first part of "Community Warfare" is actually community. So dropping as groups and units should be encouraged. But it's difficult to make CW into something it isn't: a way for solo players to experience the game differently, and still have fun (without joining a unit).

I honestly think it could be done.... but the whole approach would have to shift.... like an "open vulnerability period" with unlimited mechs for a set time with an on-going battle, instead of the matchmaker/drop method. Or changing the clan structure to two stars (10 mechs) vs 3 lances of Inner Sphere... and adjusting the tonnages to match that. Of course, MWO has already gone to great lengths to "balance" the clan weapons, so the last part wouldn't work. I don't know... just spit-balling. And I'm sure there are people that really like CW. But for me (a guy that doesn't have time to dedicated to being in a CW unit), but still really enjoys the lore/battletech/mechs etc, would be nice to see a different "mode" that could include those units... and also the solo players... without it ending predictably in a total stomp.

in summary- if CW is designed strictly for unit focused players- then it's OK, I guess- some units still play it, right? but it ceased to be fun for me almost immediately after if was released- and it seems (subjectively) like that's the case with many other players... hence the low participation in CW.

here's an idea from the waaaayyyyyyy back days of MPBT... maybe have the units be fixed within the game, not controlled by an individual. solo-players could then come and go as they please, or teams of individuals could join the "fixed" units within the game and add structure to them (medals, community, ranks, whatever). That would give solo players an opportunity to operate with high level players, learn, etc, without having to "commit" to some of the more high powered unit structures. Of course, this would bring those "high powered" units down, skill wise, on a holistic basis. I don't know.. .again, just spit-balling. would love to see something more lore oriented to keep me around the game. I guess this idea is centered around the idea that the exclusivity and time commitment required by some of the CW/faction play units is part of the reason why solo oriented players just aren't interested. So it's cater to the elite/exclusive units, or try to figure out a way to allow for solo players to join in too in a constructive manner for all. may be too difficult of a task.

Edited by Jobe01, 11 August 2020 - 05:51 PM.

#16 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:10 AM

View PostJobe01, on 11 August 2020 - 05:43 PM, said:

The whole design of faction (4 waves of mechs, the objectives, etc), is designed to let a group of 12 integrated, team focused players shine. The problem is.... with solo drops, or even small group drops... this basically just takes the matchmaker's initial hack at a "balanced team" <scoff> and amplifies it for four rounds. So while occasionally as a solo player you find a fun match, more often than not its a total stomp-fest. particularly when you end up fighting against a well coordinated, communicating pre-organized unit.

That's fine... the first part of "Community Warfare" is actually community. So dropping as groups and units should be encouraged. But it's difficult to make CW into something it isn't: a way for solo players to experience the game differently, and still have fun (without joining a unit).

I honestly think it could be done.... but the whole approach would have to shift.... like an "open vulnerability period" with unlimited mechs for a set time with an on-going battle, instead of the matchmaker/drop method. Or changing the clan structure to two stars (10 mechs) vs 3 lances of Inner Sphere... and adjusting the tonnages to match that. Of course, MWO has already gone to great lengths to "balance" the clan weapons, so the last part wouldn't work. I don't know... just spit-balling. And I'm sure there are people that really like CW. But for me (a guy that doesn't have time to dedicated to being in a CW unit), but still really enjoys the lore/battletech/mechs etc, would be nice to see a different "mode" that could include those units... and also the solo players... without it ending predictably in a total stomp.

in summary- if CW is designed strictly for unit focused players- then it's OK, I guess- some units still play it, right? but it ceased to be fun for me almost immediately after if was released- and it seems (subjectively) like that's the case with many other players... hence the low participation in CW.

here's an idea from the waaaayyyyyyy back days of MPBT... maybe have the units be fixed within the game, not controlled by an individual. solo-players could then come and go as they please, or teams of individuals could join the "fixed" units within the game and add structure to them (medals, community, ranks, whatever). That would give solo players an opportunity to operate with high level players, learn, etc, without having to "commit" to some of the more high powered unit structures. Of course, this would bring those "high powered" units down, skill wise, on a holistic basis. I don't know.. .again, just spit-balling. would love to see something more lore oriented to keep me around the game. I guess this idea is centered around the idea that the exclusivity and time commitment required by some of the CW/faction play units is part of the reason why solo oriented players just aren't interested. So it's cater to the elite/exclusive units, or try to figure out a way to allow for solo players to join in too in a constructive manner for all. may be too difficult of a task.

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea, it would be hard to do that thou with the way things are. It would piss off a lot of big top units, but whats better for the game? The large population? ..... I get what you are saying, and I would like to make it easier for people to join in and play, and if you want to get the game out to the masses lore could be one way, but making it viable for everyone would be the other. Your idea would bring us closer to that.

I had an idea that once a pug group forms a 12 man, they should get the lobby so they can start prepping for that map with their builds and loadouts, and then either wait for another pug group, or that 12 man thats about to get out of their match....

#17 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:05 AM

A. No need 2 be in a unit to drop faction. U can join pretty much every team without joining a unit. In fact most groups are lfg pick ups, streamer group, mixed casuals etc.

B. As 99% of the solos your picture of a unit is ...
Pretty much every unit without any or much requirements (ok not the comp teams).

The team /unit phobia in mwo is pathetic. (Happens prob if u design a mp title around a solo tt niche).
That pgi social media (discord, ts, support of streamers, any kind of marketing, encouragement to join unit) is ... doesn't help much

#18 Bjorn Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:00 PM

I would like to counter your statement with a simple counter-point.....PGI

#19 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:11 AM

They are still doing sales at the same bonuses they did when they first built rewards. You figure if you wanted to up your sales you would offer MORE. That says they are riding this baby to the dirt. to the dirt folks . . .

Faction has never gotten love after they brought the first bunch of suckers to the game with all the Faction graphics everywhere. Yeah. We are ALL about Factions but not ACTUALLY about factions. huh? Planetary warfare has taken back seat since day one while they told us it was in the front to bring in more victims. #thxPGI #WhyweareSOsaltymfs

The funny thing about the faction bug it is caused by the patch. lol. They will never fix that problem as it foobars the cycles on each patch.

This dead horse in nothing but bits to draw in more victims. nothing left here . . . .

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

Its Fine
Kerensky got your Cash
Kerensky Cares Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users