New Player Observations (&mini Rant)

21 replies to this topic

#1 Alaska Dan

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:03 PM

I just wanna say, for the most part, MWO is pretty damn fun and its got one of the better communities out there. Especially for a PvP game. So salute to you guys.

However, there is one particular type of player that drives me nuts. I call em "veteran fanboys".

These are the guys who respond to any criticism of their game with "Well I've been playing MWO since <insert year> and its perfectly balanced and the hitboxes are flawless."

Well, congrats. Glad you like it. I like it too. But as a newer player, coming to you from other games, I can tell you for as fun as MWO is, its got some glaring balance issues and its hitboxes are hot garbage compared to other shooters. Especially for a game where specific hit registry counts a lot.

So points to MWO for having a great community and overall a pretty fun game. But I honestly don't give a **** how long you've been playing. Flaws are flaws.

/end rant

#2 Squlf

Rookie

• CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:08 PM

Well I've been playing MWO since 2015, and its perfectly balanced and the hitboxes are flawless.

That said, half the mechs are useless and the hitboxes are wider and more stupid than my mom on a cold day.

Edited by Squlf, 06 August 2020 - 02:09 PM.

#3 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:45 PM

The opposite side of that coin is "the veterans that really don't want to drop with new players until they've put in enough time to get to a certain level of experience."

I'm glad you enjoy the game, but at the same time, there are quite a large number of people that have been around long enough to experience things, such as a matchmaking system that puts new players into matches with the most experienced, that you have not.

#4 Alaska Dan

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 06 August 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

The opposite side of that coin is "the veterans that really don't want to drop with new players until they've put in enough time to get to a certain level of experience."

I'm glad you enjoy the game, but at the same time, there are quite a large number of people that have been around long enough to experience things, such as a matchmaking system that puts new players into matches with the most experienced, that you have not.

thats operating under the assumption that Time=Skill. Which is not always true and not just for MWO but for all games. I myself have my favorites that I've been playing for years, only to get crushed by some young upstart who just installed a couple weeks ago.

Being a veteran player is no guarantee you better (or more knowledgeable) at the game. Hence my original rant. "Well I've been playing since <insert year>" is a weak argument.

Edited by Alaska Dan, 06 August 2020 - 02:56 PM.

#5 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:56 PM

View PostAlaska Dan, on 06 August 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

I just wanna say, for the most part, MWO is pretty damn fun and its got one of the better communities out there. Especially for a PvP game. So salute to you guys.

However, there is one particular type of player that drives me nuts. I call em "veteran fanboys".

These are the guys who respond to any criticism of their game with "Well I've been playing MWO since <insert year> and its perfectly balanced and the hitboxes are flawless."

Well, congrats. Glad you like it. I like it too. But as a newer player, coming to you from other games, I can tell you for as fun as MWO is, its got some glaring balance issues and its hitboxes are hot garbage compared to other shooters. Especially for a game where specific hit registry counts a lot.

So points to MWO for having a great community and overall a pretty fun game. But I honestly don't give a **** how long you've been playing. Flaws are flaws.

/end rant

Yes, a lot of people put their misguided desire for a true-to-lore robot simulator above the ability to understand things like basic trends, or more importantly read what is actually happening in the game with regards to balance. You generally see them dismiss anyone who understands gameplay and mechanical balance as *try hard* or some "Call of Duty kid". Having "played since Beta" or "played tabletop comp back in 1987" or "I trained units in Mechwarrior 4" doesn't equate real knowledge of gameplay mechanics or balance *in this game*.

Lmao.

Edited by thievingmagpi, 06 August 2020 - 02:58 PM.

#6 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:44 PM

@OP if you wish to check out whether those "I been playing before electricity and agriculture" are skilled, the Jarls list is a good place to look.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/

#7 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:49 PM

View PostAlaska Dan, on 06 August 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

perfectly balanced and the hitboxes are flawless."

Lolwut? People actually say that?

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:09 PM

Been playing since Closed Beta, then the other MPBT games since 92!!!

Anyhow, MWO could have gone down a different, and potentially a better path but the inexperience of the and the lack of will of the PGI leadership certainly did not help MWO along.
  • PSR review and reset (should have been a reseed instead) should have happened much sooner than later.
  • Use of only pieces of lore/boardgame rules for a specific mech component, when PGI had in their hands the ability to spread the pro/cons across the board.
    • PGI adding additional rules to how cXL would handle damage after months of going without engine crit rules for it alone (then added same to LFE) but keeping isXL to the death w/loss of one side torso. They had the ability to vary the mech speed, Heat capacity loss across all 3 non-Standard engines
  • Not adding the ability to allow mechs, esp humanoid mechs to at least raise one arm w/mounted weapons at a time to fire them at a higher elevation. Inside said mechs, mostly IS mechs, are restricted from firing said weapons only from the hip. Clan Gargoyle and a few other Clan humanoid mechs would have also benefited for this.
  • Engine Desync - Only approved only part of that PGI did with it. Not a Clanner but Clan mech engines should have been slightly higher settings than IS mechs in the same weight class (regardless of Engine)
  • Jumpjets - initially PGI did screw the pooch, providing too much while using fewer jets, but the end result resulted in only Lights and Mediums, and a few light heavies being able to use them. Heavies and Assaults were screwed over.
  • Community/Faction Warfare/Faction Play... Once introduced, PGI barely touched it, then would only touch it after long periods of time. Initial setup was okay as a place holder.. but it looked like it would never change
  • Faction Play - LONG TOM - interesting idea but horrible implementation allowed to stay for a long time. By the time PGI pulled it Faction Play had become a ghost town and never recovered.
    • Building on Faction Play - This could have been the glue that could have kept units alive and active, providing a nexus of potential population growth. There is still Faction Play but that population is now skin and bones.
Okay, this old man needs to take his medicine... :)

#9 Alaska Dan

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 06 August 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

Lolwut? People actually say that?

>Blast six med las into a Pirahna's legs for a full uninterupted burn.
>His arm pops off and he runs away.

Me: "Nice hit boxes. GG PGI."
Fanboy in comms: "I've been playing since 2011. Hit boxes are fine."

Actual example and quote from just this afternoon.

#10 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:25 PM

so I just woke up from my nap and read this. oh you young whipper snappers! Been playing since BattleDroids LOL

the game has huge gaping problems with balance and hit boxes. but then even on paper it had huge problems with balance and hit boxes LOL in the beginning it was a d6 based game and all the sins of that have been carried over till now. but i am old and accepting and amazed I can still play stompy robots!
i still hold out for the days of stock mech matches. used to be some guys that got together and played stock mechs. balance was pretty good. but for now i play mostly my Super Stock lore based mechs or some really trolly mechs. once in awhile i pull out a META mech but i feel dirty afterwords lol.

most of us here are here to have fun playing stompy murder robots. pick what you have fun in and ignore the "tryhards"

now where did i leave that LRM Flea at????

Edited by loopala, 06 August 2020 - 07:39 PM.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

Holy smokes they're still letting people in? I'm sorry OP but the bar's closed and the DJ just turned the lights back on.

#12 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:26 PM

View Postloopala, on 06 August 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

so I just woke up from my nap and read this. oh you young whipper snappers! Been playing since BattleDroids LOL

Pffft, when I started playing, the only mechs we had were horses.

#13 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:39 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 06 August 2020 - 08:26 PM, said:

Pffft, when I started playing, the only mechs we had were horses.

ah the good old days before army men.....

#14 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:13 AM

View PostAlaska Dan, on 06 August 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

thats operating under the assumption that Time=Skill. Which is not always true and not just for MWO but for all games. I myself have my favorites that I've been playing for years, only to get crushed by some young upstart who just installed a couple weeks ago.

Being a veteran player is no guarantee you better (or more knowledgeable) at the game. Hence my original rant. "Well I've been playing since <insert year>" is a weak argument.

No, that assumes that time=experiencing PGI and the game in general long enough to understand what's going on around you. There are plenty of people that have been playing here for years that never got any better. But they were around for every nerfing and change that happened.

That's how "I've been involved since (fill in the blank)" matters. Being here for a year means you weren't here before the Clan release, you weren't here before they added a matchmaker in the first place, you weren't here for the neverending "balance" act that started on day 1, you weren't here for all the promises made to the founders that were ignored, you weren't here for pretty much anything except the most recent changes. THAT, all by itself, matters.

#15 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:26 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 07 August 2020 - 10:13 AM, said:

THAT, all by itself, matters.

It doesn't matter one jot, but just in case you need one, I could give you a hug.

#16 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, show me your founder's badge and get a free hug! Posted Image

#17 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:58 AM

Host state Rewind is probably the answer to your issue -not mech hit boxes.
https://mwomercs.com...-rewindand-you/

https://mwomercs.com...t-state-rewind/

#18 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:48 PM

So lemme just put this into simple terms;

There's Veteran players, and then there's Veteran players. Catch my drift?

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostAlaska Dan, on 06 August 2020 - 06:20 PM, said:

>Blast six med las into a Pirahna's legs for a full uninterupted burn.
>His arm pops off and he runs away.

Me: "Nice hit boxes. GG PGI."
Fanboy in comms: "I've been playing since 2011. Hit boxes are fine."

Actual example and quote from just this afternoon.

"hit boxes are as good as they can be"

or better yet:

"hit boxes are as good as pgi knows how to make them"

or people who have put up with pgi's crap for a long time:

"hit boxes are fine"

pgi's ineptitude is part of the game. replace ineptitude for smarts and you have a completely different game and it just wouldn't be the same. of course we might be happy and suffer fewer instances of substance abuse, but we wouldn't have no mwo to drive us mad.

#20 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 812 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:13 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 11 August 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

So lemme just put this into simple terms;

There's Veteran players, and then there's Veteran players. Catch my drift?

What about all the veteran Playas?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users