27 replies to this topic

#1 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMaple Ridge, B.C. , Canada

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:16 AM

...coming from a long time tier one player (now sitting in tier 2 with the re-spec/start-over).

Takes longer to find matches in higher tiers, and quite frankly, it was actually more fun playing back in Tier 3 (varied player skill making more fun and dynamic matches). Also finding actually more nascaring in Tier 2! -- I think I would much rather go back to the tier level 3 days, lol.

Would greatly prefer a 3 tier system (not 5!) - have a beginner/novice/not-so-great tier, a general tier, and a player approved opt-in (if qualify) elite tier - don't force a player up into it if they don't want.

Edited by Redwo1f, 14 August 2020 - 08:17 AM.

#2 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

But do you think the folks who are lower skilled then you would want to be in games with Tier 1 skill level players who prefer to farm little fish?

I think you could make an argument if you want to be lower tier - pick mechs and playstyles that are less likely to give you high match score (so use dual guass instead of LRMS, or hunt for kills without causing component or armor damage) you'll fall eventually.

#3 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:51 AM

It's difficult to stay in T3 if you are "T2 valuable", "legitamately" (meaning without throwing or doing team damage on purpous)
Even by:
- farming the event (trial mechs)
- using artillery no more
- using non mastered mechs half of the time (the other half playing mastered hero to get Cbills)
- removing AMS on many mechs (not all)
I find myself climbing up again in T2... and I'm not an elite player, (and I don't play LRMs)

T2 (at least in my time zone) also means majority of the game mixed with T1 (based on player Tier displayed in the forum I can recognize)
And I agree that games are less fun. Not because it's easy to shine, but because of game variety

#4 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:54 AM

As much as i wanted to get back into all-out skirmish without ranks and get quick matches, tiers at least somehow saving bad players from decent and good players.

#5 PublicWifi

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 25 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:55 AM

Oh. People still nascar in lower tiers

*mech shrug*

I average 650 damage in my normal mechs. 200-300 in my others. Getting to tier 4 was easy.

Edited by PublicWifi, 14 August 2020 - 08:56 AM.

#6 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

...hmmm, then what about an option for a player to choose:

1) a less structured general population with novice/beginner tier as well system
2) current 5-tier system (that "protects" weaker players and rewards those who care about levels or want to get away from what they consider the less skilled).

-- and a player decides what format they want (perhaps default to #1, but allow a choice #2 if they choose) - but then again, idk if the player base is big enough to allow that...idk, just thinking out loud sort-of-speak.

#7 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:25 AM

I think it's a great idea. At Tier 1 and Tier 2, sometimes you have to wait FOREVER to get a match until it loosens up and fills up the gaps with those brand new T3 "Cadets."

I can't think of a single reason why the new guys should be allowed to drop into a tier where they're out of reach from the elite, T1 premade groups. They simply need to understand that they are simply being put into a match with T1s and T2s to be harvested.

Remember, we're not here for their enjoyment, we're here for the T1s and T2s.

#8 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 14 August 2020 - 11:21 AM

Never been in the magical fun land of t5. i will be soon since i'm purposely bombing myself further running the worst of the worst mechs I suck with. And it's not just me either. I've looked at all the stats on the in game store for my assault mechs I own. No is assault has worse stats than the atlas.

atlas acel 13 decel 13 turn 42 torso 75

I should go through looking at pitch and yaw as well but meh. I've lost more with the skull faced slug than won. The most damage I've tanked is 650 so far.

#9 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:00 PM

Lol, wouldn't that be hilarious if everyone decides it might be best to go downward in tiers and immediately starts team fighting - though I suppose that the current system is set up to "reward" at least some people with points regardless of how poorly they performed (being it all relative, lol). Posted Image Posted Image --not saying I would do that...

But sliding down now anyways as I have been running new builds on poorer mechs just to evaluate and test them out (something new and fresh as things are getting stagnant) - so I may be back in tier 3 again eventually anyways, lol -- but my point is, I shouldn't have to hope for that...

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:33 PM

Wait forever...what absolute rubbish, since when is 4 minutes forever
NO way greedy
People like OP are why the game is in the mess it is.

If Tier 1's too hard, lol
Drop to Tier 2
ez

View PostWillard Phule, on 14 August 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

I can't think of a single reason why the new guys should be allowed to drop into a tier where they're out of reach from the elite, T1 premade groups.

The games longevity

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 14 August 2020 - 12:32 PM.

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 14 August 2020 - 12:33 PM, said:

NO way greedy

Drop to Tier 2
ez

The games longevity

Based on the last 5 changes to the game, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess longevity isn't part of what PGI is shooting for. Just call it a hunch.

#12 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:50 PM

Yeah I have that feeling.

#13 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:02 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 14 August 2020 - 12:33 PM, said:

NO way greedy

Drop to Tier 2
ez

The games longevity

Did you bother to read my friend? -- NEVER said it takes forever, wtf. Been my experience that it in general has taken longer to get a match going tier 2 than tier 3 -- don't put words in my mouth please. And I expressed it being more fun playing in tier 3 than tier 2 (and gave some reasons why I felt that way) - and is there something wrong with that?

#14 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:52 PM

You said "Longer to find matches"
Was pretty vague
So I made an assumption

Why would you make a crap system worse
How much longer to consider your whine vaild. Valves open in 4 minutes

I only skim whinny posts.
What were you saying again?

I'm in Tier 1 and I have no trouble.
If your Tier 1 sounds like a bad excuse to want a change.
I have to wait 4 minutes, and have not problem with that.

Basically imo your idea is crap.
And I am letting people who read this post know how I feel about your crap idea.
That's all

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 14 August 2020 - 01:57 PM.

#15 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:12 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 14 August 2020 - 01:52 PM, said:

You said "Longer to find matches"
Was pretty vague
So I made an assumption

I only skim whinny posts.
What were you saying again?

And that pretty much says it all...Posted Image
Have a nice day :)

Edited by Redwo1f, 14 August 2020 - 02:12 PM.

#16 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:15 PM

I also would like to opt out of any sort of attempt at skill based matchmaking.

I agree the game is much funner when you can just dunk on everyone with impunity.

Thank you.

#17 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

Not so much ease at all is what I am getting at for me (I personally don't care about winning or losing or stats or stomping or whatever - it is more about the experience and actually having fun) - it's just generally a more dynamic, less predictable. Indeed matches have been more enjoyable as I worked my way out of tier 3 then they are now. Grant it, during the process there were a mix of stronger and weaker players as everyone tried to sort out their placements -- but it was indeed FUN having mixed teams (with teams have stronger veterans and weaker players all mixed in) - I just really think it plays better. That is why I suggest (among other things) to perhaps rethink that whole system -- or perhaps have it as an "option" and allow the larger player base to gather once again. Just my thoughts. Posted Image

(and that is why I also suggested an opt-in (if qualify) elite tier - for those that actually care about that sort of thing, and a beginner/novice-like low tier for those just starting or indeed uncomfortable with veteran players - but let everyone else shake it out in a general tier -- I think it would be more fun than the way things are now)

Edited by Redwo1f, 14 August 2020 - 02:53 PM.

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

View PostRedwo1f, on 14 August 2020 - 02:43 PM, said:

I personally don't care about winning or losing or stats or stomping or whatever

Pretty much says it all
You get what you deserve
Rest is word spagetti Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 14 August 2020 - 03:18 PM.

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

the problem with the current iteration of the matchmakers is that we really needed them 6 or 7 years ago. "too little too late" should be pgi's slogan, if its not already.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 August 2020 - 07:36 PM.

#20 Cytekker

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:25 PM

I keep thinking that the Tier system is not as flexible today as using each player's average match score would be.

The Tier system seems a better idea for the glory days when there were lots of players and everyone could always play with their tier-mates. With our smaller numbers the pilot's average match score seems a better idea. Matchmaker could look at the queue, determine how many players are there and then pull the right number of players to make as many games as it can. The 24 with the highest average match score go into the first game with the mechs balanced by weight. Those players will be the top part of the curve, The next game will have the middle part of the curve and repeat going down the list. The last part would be the bottom of the curve. Everyone will be playing with others of their general still level determined by their average match score. If things are slow and the MM can only make one game, then there will be a broader range of skills, and if the MM can make lots of games from what is in the queue, then it will be a very tight game. There will be a variety of games based on how busy things are, and as long as there are enough players in the queue for a single game, getting a match would always be quick.

If the better players are tired of the higher level play, they can experiment or just play poorly and pretty quickly slide down to the lower skill games. When they feel like being challenged again they can tighten up their play and move back up. In the lore I expect you would constantly find yourself fighting with both better or worse pilots, and dealing with them would be part of the challenge. A wolf in sheep's clothing is part of the fun, especially as that wolf is as likely to be on your side as the enemy's.

Hopefully this would provide quick games, quickly reward excelling pilots, not discourage returning pilots who have lost their edge, and make it all more fun for everyone.

Just a thought.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users