New Drop Zone Locations On Map - Bad Placement

16 replies to this topic

#1 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 10:51 AM

Whatever you folks did to the placement of mech tonnage to lances with the new PSR calculations has basically been picking winners and losers for anyone running a mech that doesn't travel at 60kph or better.

I have routinely been dropped the farthest location from the team on a 48.6 kph mech. It cripples the team when they lose two 100 ton mechs because they can't get to the team without being slaughtered by snipers.

If the desire of PGI is to drive away players playing big mechs, congratulations because that is what you are doing. About 25% of my drops due to your new drop locations I'm dead trying to move there.

#2 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 11:36 PM

Looks like this thread was posted in the wrong section, so I've moved it to General Discussion

#3 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:01 AM

Drop locations is one part of the problem. That the meta turned into who can faster nascar is the other part.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:12 AM

The spawnpoints have not changed. What you are experiencing is the behavior when groups are present. The first group is put into alpha lance by default. If it's not a full 4-player group, it's filled up with an assault and something else. A potential second group is placed into bravo lance.
This can lead to slow assaults being dropped in the place where usually lights or mediums would drop. Especially on Canyon Network or Mining Collective you'll have to coordinate with the rest of your team or risk being separated and swarmed by faster, lighter mechs.

#5 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:13 AM

Yeah the drops aren't great sometimes. definitely doesn't help team cohesion when people suffering from poor drop location communicate it hours later rather than pressing their talk button and mentioning it to their team at the time.

A timely and polite request is a lot more useful. PGI aren't going to change anything anymore, but you can influence your team at least.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:42 AM

Where have you been? That issue was already here for quite a while, for place 50% of the drop. As crazytimes have noted, that is not going to change.

The best you can do is take company command on the worse offending maps (Caustic as an example) and move your assault(s) to Beta Lance. You are not going to know which side you will be dropped on but at least you + others are in the middle instead of the edges.

Edited.. Only valid for FP drops. nothing to see here...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 August 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 August 2020 - 06:50 AM

It is most unfortunate, the way the game plays out hasn't been conducive to bringing slower 'Mechs to the battlefield for a while now. I don't even play my slower Assault 'Mechs anymore there is just no point. You could certainly coordinate with your team, or attempt to, but in my experience it's too much a pain in the behind to bother with.

#8 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:28 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 24 August 2020 - 05:42 AM, said:

The best you can do is take company command on the worse offending maps (Caustic as an example) and move your assault(s) to Beta Lance. You are not going to know which side you will be dropped on but at least you + others are in the middle instead of the edges.

Switching Lances in the drop preparation screen does not change your spawn point. These are fix with the initial order when you enter the screen.

#9 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 24 August 2020 - 12:01 AM, said:

Drop locations is one part of the problem. That the meta turned into who can faster nascar is the other part.

Nascar has been the dominant QP playstyle at least since I started playing the game about three years ago. This is nothing new.

Note: by dominant I just mean most prevalent, not best!

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 August 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

Switching Lances in the drop preparation screen does not change your spawn point. These are fix with the initial order when you enter the screen.

Seconded, moving mechs to different Lance's in QP only reduces the free cbills and match score gained from early lance in formation bonuses.

#10 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:39 AM

View PostBrauer, on 24 August 2020 - 10:32 AM, said:

Seconded, moving mechs to different Lance's in QP only reduces the free cbills and match score gained from early lance in formation bonuses.

On the other hand, it can be the only way to enable these gains at all. I have often switched a lone assault from a lance of lights just to enable the use of synergies in speed, engagement type and combat role, and so that the player can actually gain lance in formation rewards.

#11 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:48 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 August 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

On the other hand, it can be the only way to enable these gains at all. I have often switched a lone assault from a lance of lights just to enable the use of synergies in speed, engagement type and combat role, and so that the player can actually gain lance in formation rewards.

In QP changing Lance's has no impact on where mechs spawn because they have already spawned into the map. So what is the benefit? That the assault might get lance in formation once it makes it to the rest of the bigs? Pretty weak, but as long as you aren't arguing that it changes spawns you do you.

#12 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:53 AM

View PostBrauer, on 24 August 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

So what is the benefit? That the assault might get lance in formation once it makes it to the rest of the bigs?

Exactly this. Ideally, Lance in formation, which triggers only when the lance is engaged, will happen when the mechs are regrouped after leaving their spawn. If I have the time, I'll always try to match the mechtypes in the prep screen, so everyone can at least theoretically gain these rewards. Wether they play accordingly, or not, is up to them.

#13 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 25 August 2020 - 10:58 AM

Weight balancing went away when they started allowing premades into QP. The MM simply can't factor a group's weight with a bunch of solos. Hell, it can't even use an average of the weight they bring in. It's got a hard enough time trying to stick to the +/- 1 PSR thing, which it fails to do on a regular basis.

Just accept that if you're not in a premade group, your entire purpose is to be harvested. Just like Faction Play. QP is now "end game content."

#14 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 25 August 2020 - 10:58 AM, said:

Weight balancing went away when they started allowing premades into QP. The MM simply can't factor a group's weight with a bunch of solos. Hell, it can't even use an average of the weight they bring in. It's got a hard enough time trying to stick to the +/- 1 PSR thing, which it fails to do on a regular basis.

Just accept that if you're not in a premade group, your entire purpose is to be harvested. Just like Faction Play. QP is now "end game content."

Actually, I find it easier to farm solo in QP now. I won't stack wins to the same degree, but I'm far less likely to have as much competition for the farm on my own team if I am dropping solo.

#15 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:39 PM

View PostBrauer, on 25 August 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

Actually, I find it easier to farm solo in QP now. I won't stack wins to the same degree, but I'm far less likely to have as much competition for the farm on my own team if I am dropping solo.

And you run into T3 "Cadets" less frequently than us T2s do, but you are there sometimes. I'm not sure how or if the MM aggregates the overall PSRs of the people in a premade group, but I've seen plenty of top tier FP guys in matches with Cadets in them. Especially at low population times.

#16 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 August 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

Ahh, so that only works in FP then? Would explain why PGI switched Charlie Bravo spawn points just prior to MWO Championship series lock with the Sept 2018 patch.

#17 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:12 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 August 2020 - 06:35 PM, said:

Ahh, so that only works in FP then? Would explain why PGI switched Charlie Bravo spawn points just prior to MWO Championship series lock with the Sept 2018 patch.

In competitive matches played in lobbies you choose Lances prior to dropping. It's been close to a year since I've used comp queue, but from what I remember you chose Lance's after the map ban and before dropping into the match. So the mechanics for this in Competitive play are completely different.

Edited by Brauer, 25 August 2020 - 09:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users