Where To Find Solaris Builds?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Seven Strikes

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:05 AM

Help, like many people I made the mistakes of trying this game mode 1) Thinking you had to play Trial mechs as an assumption that it was to keep the game mode balanced. Realized that was and then tried to use my own mechs and builds.

Like many people who've posted I was rudely awakened by playing a light laser boat and got absolutely destroyed by a heavy that destroyed me in about 5-10 seconds and was confused AF about why my Jenner just got matched against a heavy in the first place.

I've since played a handful of matches, taken a passing glance at the mechs in different divisions to see which division I may have a snowballs chance in hell in.

My poor king crab that I thought was great with his AC20's and lasers got utterly DESTROYED by a 4 LBX10 in record speed.. :\

My main question: Where do i find Solaris mech builds / division suggestions? A random post said to check the leader board but all I saw was a players standings and nothing about what mechs they use or their load outs?

Obviously my quick play builds meant for 5-10 minute sustained games aren't good in a 1v1 2-minute duel but I don't even know if I should bother with a certain mech because its not "meta"?

I would like to give Solaris a fair chance to be worth playing and not be one of the dozens of people who just show up and go "Solaris sucks, its not fair, never playing it again" but I can totally understand their frustration as a new to solaris player I haven't got a clue how to even have a chance.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:04 PM

and was confused AF about why my Jenner just got matched against a heavy in the first place.
https://mwomercs.com/s7-mech-divisions
And protip: You're shown the enemy mech at the start of the match. These few seconds are enough to asses their visible armament and formulate a battle plan.

My poor king crab that I thought was great with his AC20's and lasers got utterly DESTROYED by a 4 LBX10 in record speed.. :\
Sounds like you tanked damage too much. If you're not shooting, you shouldn't be staring.
Part of the gameplay in S7 is using the terrain to block enemy firing lines - especially if you're shorter-ranged and they've got a DPS build.
Another thing you should do is twist your torsos to spread incoming damage - 40 damage in your CT is different than 40 damage liberally spread across your arms and torsos. With some mechs, their huge arms can be used to shield against most incoming damage - that's kinda how I can win with my brawl Charger against AC2 boats: I give them my huge shield arms to chew on, switching sides after losing one so that they don't break into my side torsos, and only expose my CT once I'm close enough for weapon range.

A random post said to check the leader board but all I saw was a players standings and nothing about what mechs they use or their load outs?
1. Open the leaderboard
2. Select division
3. Click the player's name
You'll see the last mech he used and enough information about the loadout to recreate it with a bit of effort.

but I don't even know if I should bother with a certain mech because its not "meta"?
QP meta != Solaris meta. Mechs that are suboptimal in QP can be viable in S7 and terrorize a lower powered division because the "proper" chassis/platform for a given build has been kicked to a higher one but the less optimal chassis/platform has not.

Edited by Horseman, 11 September 2020 - 03:28 PM.

#3 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

Here is some data I pulled from the leaderboards yesterday regarding what was shown on the player cards of the top 10 players of each division

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Div 1 aside, there is actually quite a bit of variety as far as viability is concerned.

There are some general rules for loadouts to go by:
  • A heavier mech isn't necessarily better. It's all about hitboxes, mobility, hardpoints, and quirks. Pilot familiarity plays a part too.
  • You don't need a lot of ammo. I like to bring about 40% to 50% of the ammo that I would usually bring to QP (eg... if I usually took 6t of ammo into QP, I would take 2.5t to 3t into Solaris)
  • Make sure your loadouts make sense. Complicated bracket builds with "back-up weapons" or need to be fired in a certain way to avoid ghost heat are a compromise your opponent will try to take advantage of.
  • Clan ER and heavy lasers have really long durations that are super easy to spread damage from. Avoid.
  • Div 6 and 7 aside, streak SRMs perform poorly
  • Armour, weapons, and heatsinks are nearly always worth more than a larger engine
  • LRMs and ATMs can be super cheesy if played right
  • AMS is next to useless. Bin it
Also make sure your skill maze makes sense for Solaris. Fights don't last very long, so do you need all those points in cool run? Consumables are banned, so you should get rid of that double UAV + double strike.

Finally, map selection is VERY IMPORTANT! If you're in a long range mech and let your opponent choose Caves you likely have a bad time. I created a table regarding what I believe the viability of loadout types on certain maps are. These are obviously my opinion, if anyone disagrees I am open to discussion

Posted Image

Edited by Rosarius, 12 September 2020 - 04:35 PM.

#4 Seven Strikes

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:31 PM

Thank you for such a Thorough list, it's appreciated.

#5 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:28 AM

Also I think Solaris high numbered divisions favour high DPS short range engagement due to mechs being lighter and faster so you can more easily close the gap, while those mostly populated by assaults are a lot better for longer ranged weapons.

Also it is usually a lot better to have high DPS than a big alpha strike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users