Stop SOPA

130 replies to this topic

#121 Kaine Vulpayne

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

View PostGrimJim, on 29 December 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

Despite being one who works in the entertainment industry, and who would greatly "benefit" from wiping out online piracy, I am 200% for stopping SOPA.

I care about my freedom of speech a helluva lot more than the Chinese pinching my profits.

You wouldn't profit at all, because media sales wouldn't go up with SOPA. If they get through with this, it will backfire so big time, I am about to wish that it will happen just to see the proverbial mushroom cloud.

The profit in SOPA lies somewhere else.
- Lawyers (thousands more teens to be sued)
- Security companies, internet analyzers and all that.
- Private prison companies (lot's of sentenced teens, even from other countries, serving their sentence by working for the prison company for 1ct/h) basically that is the reinvention of slavery, just totally legal!!!

Brave new world.

SOPA will put such a high degree of insecurity into consumers, people will just boycott songs and movies, especially from the US. Or don't call it "boycott" call it "shun" out of pure insecurity and self-preservation (and a feeling of utter injustice). So sales will go down. Ppl will be too scared, of being sued so they will start consuming only that kind of media content, which is clearly free to use (the trend for this has already started). A mother will not buy a CD for her son, if her neighbor's son serves in the US on a private prisons company's cotton fields because he linked mp3's on his website for his friends (ripping them from a CD that his mother bought him). Yes is this is a big exaggeration. But it needs just some story like this told by some ppl that something like that maybe could be true, ppl will get so paranoid and do anything to prevent that. If SOPA is starting to be executed, stories like this will flood the public space, no matter if true stories or not. This will give ppl such an overwhelming feeling of injustice, Occupy Wallstreet will be a children birthday party compared to the shitstorm that will rise, when SOPA shows its true effect to our lives.

Maybe ppl will just switch off radio and Tv, buy a guitar and start practicing.

And of course someone clever will find a way to circumvent this law completely. Chances are this clever guy will be asian.

#122 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

View PostBrakkyn, on 29 December 2011 - 09:46 AM, said:

I'm all for stopping piracy like a bullet to the face. My question is, how can it be considered piracy of no money is exchanged? None spent, none gained.

Exactly. You dont spend you money the people making the movie/song don't gain it. They spend 10 million making a cheep movie, and 1 person goes and records it and then puts it on the internet many people download it. Those people never go pay their 10-15 bucks each to go see it. That one person just cost the company a lot of money. Popular shows get downloaded more. Thus the profit is lower. Now for AVENGERS Even the pirate type persons thought it was damn good enough to go pay for and download. *cough*

Edited by ORIGINAL SteelWolf, 13 August 2012 - 02:18 AM.

#123 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

facinating.. my demonoid thread got turned into a crusade against picracy and closed but the sopa thread stays going with constructive posts? ***

#124 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 29 December 2011 - 10:10 AM, said:

i recall valve CEO Gabe Newell saying a quote something like: "Piracy stems from convenience, not price, if you want to stop piracy, you have to offer the pirates a better service". (i may be paraphrasing). Truer words have never been said.

GoG.com also believes this and is a very successful site. Steam and Gog have both done far more to countering game piracy than any anti-piracy DRM gimmick or lawsuit. Steam summer sales had tons of games for 75% off and could all be downloaded+installed almost effortlessly by the Steam client.

#125 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 13 August 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

facinating.. my demonoid thread got turned into a crusade against picracy and closed but the sopa thread stays going with constructive posts? ***

This is because people want to debate whether Demonoid is for or against piracy(despite how clearly obvious it is that they are from even from a mere 5mins of first visiting the website). In this thread however "no one" is going to support this bill; not pirates or anti-pirates. It's a bill so badly written it won't even accomplish what they are saying it is for and would instead actually hurt the internet, our freedoms(specifically the ability to review/criticize and make harmless non-profit videos), and the economy itself. Not even anti-piracy supporters want to support this thing. The only people that do want to support is companies looking to abuse its power. Capcom for instance heavily invested into SOPA so they could then abuse it to take down critics like AngryJoe that complain about and/or badly review their products. You see if you ever give a movie/game a bad review or say anything bad about it then the company in charge, under SOPA, can simply scrap your entire website or at the very least have that material taken down under threat of severe legal action. Currently they can't do this because we have legal rights for freedom of speech and criticism(and also something called "safe harbor"); but SOPA will throw all that right out the window and give full power to the entertainment industry; whom will happily abuse it to control ratings since ratings impact sales. In other words honest criticism, reviewers, Let's Play makers, for anything relating to games/music/movies, would all eventually cease to exist. Companies behind websites like thatguywiththeglasses and youtube would quickly be out of a job just because some stuckup company producer couldn't stomach a video being made about their precious product.

Edited by Bluten, 13 August 2012 - 02:37 AM.

#126 Nintenja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Location2.375Mm over Texas

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

Piracy is a cover. Coporations are using Congress to gain control over the internet. The ultimate goal is to make it like TV. They want it to be ridiculously expensive to be able to have a website. Then if you can afford it you have to follow their guidelines. It's all about control.

#127 Stone Profit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostSam Slade, on 13 August 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

The Department of Justice has been testing this; a man from New Zealand was to be extradited to the U.S. for hosting a file sharing directory; the district court judge in N.Z. said, to paraphrase, 'Pff... this is New Zealand, we don't have that law'.

You really think he was stealing from a country? Like, really? The groups trying to push these laws into international waters so to speak couldn't care less about the United States... their money is in the Cayman Islands.

He was stealing things that originated in that country. Stop acting like i think he stole from the uk gov.

#128 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

What IS this madness?! Did you all rise from the grave to continue conversations long closed?
Someone had to dig DEEP to find this old thing, and that scares me.

#129 Sieben

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostAdridos, on 29 December 2011 - 12:24 PM, said:

Piranha Games is a Canadian company, maybe? Posted Image

Everything done on the regular internet is kept track of wherever you do it and on your own computer, so yes it is already being done. Now go complain about the act stoping your freedom to pirate somewhere else.

#130 Sieben

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostGrimJim, on 29 December 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

Despite being one who works in the entertainment industry, and who would greatly "benefit" from wiping out online piracy, I am 200% for stopping SOPA.

I care about my freedom of speech a helluva lot more than the Chinese pinching my profits.

Your freedom of speech has nothing to with selling or giving away something that is not yours, which is all that any anti-piracy law SHOULD cover.

#131 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

this law is a delusional paranoiac's dream.

america has the strongest and most enduring tradition of informational freedom in the world. anyone who thinks this place will be brought down by this kind of law is an ignoramus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users