Does It Get Any Better?

62 replies to this topic

#41 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:16 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 23 September 2020 - 03:07 AM, said:

Yeah but nearly 100% of them are smurfs anyhow, there aren't any actual genuine new players.

Cadets I met played like cadets not smurfs, so doesn't sound like nearly 100% to me.
And that's beside the point , the system still allows cadets to face T1
And was that was the point I was making

#42 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 23 September 2020 - 09:16 PM, said:

Cadets I met played like cadets not smurfs, so doesn't sound like nearly 100% to me. And that's beside the point , the system still allows cadets to face T1 And was that was the point I was making

Wouldn't be that way if people started at T5, but PGI is determined to start people in the middle.

#43 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

Ah yes, smurf accounts, they do exist but are another case where the cure hurts the patient more than the disease.

#44 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

Here's a question that I couldn't seem to find the answer to- what happened to our FPS/Ping counter? The servers seem way worse than they ever used to, and now I can't check to see when I'm getting lag spikes or FPS drops, which would seem intentional if they down-graded the servers.

Went years without a single DC in MWO, with 35-45 ping, and I know for a fact my net has been running fine the times recently that I've experienced horrible rubber-banding in matches. I also see a lot more DCs each match than I'm used to seeing, and other people commenting on lag/rubber-banding, along with whole matches experiencing simultaneous heat bug occurrences.

Starting to get a little irritated because the servers seem worse during the day, off-hours, and then a bit better at night, but the matches themselves are worse because all the groups are out throwing the MM even more out of whack. I'm very good at turning self-induced suffering into a hobby, but this is starting to even wear on me...really, really hoping that somehow enough people are unhappy right now that they revert some of these godawful changes. This many years later, and I still somehow can't wrap my mind around how horrible PGI is at making intelligent decisions about this game. It's literally as if they don't want people playing it, so they want to punish us for the fact that we're still beating our heads against the wall for reasons I can't even fully quantify.

#45 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

View PostKodyn, on 25 September 2020 - 08:18 AM, said:

Here's a question that I couldn't seem to find the answer to- what happened to our FPS/Ping counter? The servers seem way worse than they ever used to, and now I can't check to see when I'm getting lag spikes or FPS drops, which would seem intentional if they down-graded the servers.

Went years without a single DC in MWO, with 35-45 ping, and I know for a fact my net has been running fine the times recently that I've experienced horrible rubber-banding in matches. I also see a lot more DCs each match than I'm used to seeing, and other people commenting on lag/rubber-banding, along with whole matches experiencing simultaneous heat bug occurrences.

Starting to get a little irritated because the servers seem worse during the day, off-hours, and then a bit better at night, but the matches themselves are worse because all the groups are out throwing the MM even more out of whack. I'm very good at turning self-induced suffering into a hobby, but this is starting to even wear on me...really, really hoping that somehow enough people are unhappy right now that they revert some of these godawful changes. This many years later, and I still somehow can't wrap my mind around how horrible PGI is at making intelligent decisions about this game. It's literally as if they don't want people playing it, so they want to punish us for the fact that we're still beating our heads against the wall for reasons I can't even fully quantify.

Fps and ping counter hasn't moved?

You can press F10 I think or add these lines to your user.cfg to always have them

gp_mech_ping = 1 -- 1) show ping in top left corner
gp_mech_showfps = 1 -- 1) show fps in top left corner

#46 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

I had it on F9, but I checked and it's no longer in the settings as a hotkey option at all. I'll have to try the user config thing then I guess. I found posts where others were asking about why it was gone, so I know I'm not the only one with it missing, but no one had any answers as to when or why it poofed.

#47 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:49 PM

you can still press F9 to summon up your FPS counter and map coordinates.

#48 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:16 PM

I'm sorry, but I cannot. I don't know what to tell you, perhaps you can, but I can't. It's literally not a hotkey option, and it definitely used to be- I know, because I remapped it. It was also still there when I last reinstalled MWO, I used to hit it as soon as I logged in. Then a few months of updates and not playing, and it's gone.

The config file fix worked for FPS, I haven't tried a match yet to see if Ping is working as well, nothing's showing yet. It's not a big deal, I can obviously see when FPS tanks or there's lag visually, especially when a 100 ton mech teleports through you and is walking backwards into a building. It was just something I got used to glancing at now and then, mainly to enjoy the fact that I get 60 fps nowadays when I learned how to play with 15 or less, depending on map. Also sometimes if I know there's a lag spike I'll avoid shooting for a moment to potentially mitigate friendly fire situations.

#49 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

View PostKodyn, on 25 September 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but I cannot. I don't know what to tell you, perhaps you can, but I can't. It's literally not a hotkey option, and it definitely used to be- I know, because I remapped it. It was also still there when I last reinstalled MWO, I used to hit it as soon as I logged in. Then a few months of updates and not playing, and it's gone.

You could contact MWO Tech Support service:
technical@mwomercs.com

#50 LTC Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:04 AM

View Postmartian, on 26 September 2020 - 07:59 AM, said:

You could contact MWO Tech Support service:
technical@mwomercs.com

If you can get them to respond, let me know. I have several support tickets that are months and even years old that have gone completely ignored

#51 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:10 AM

View PostLTC Kilgore, on 26 September 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

If you can get them to respond, let me know. I have several support tickets that are months and even years old that have gone completely ignored

It can’t hurt to try.

#52 LTC Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:11 AM

View Postmartian, on 26 September 2020 - 08:10 AM, said:

It can’t hurt to try.

I know. I periodically send them reminders that they have ignored my tickets. get no response, not even the automated "we received your ticket" emails

#53 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:15 AM

View PostLTC Kilgore, on 26 September 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

I know. I periodically send them reminders that they have ignored my tickets. get no response, not even the automated "we received your ticket" emails

Are you sure that your e-mail domain is not banned because of spam or something?

#54 LTC Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:24 AM

View Postmartian, on 26 September 2020 - 08:15 AM, said:

Are you sure that your e-mail domain is not banned because of spam or something?

absolutely positive. They just won't respond, at all. People here have said that support is great. I have a completely different experience with support. Its a joke and makes PGI look even worse

#55 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:36 AM

View PostLTC Kilgore, on 26 September 2020 - 08:24 AM, said:

absolutely positive. They just won't respond, at all. People here have said that support is great. I have a completely different experience with support. Its a joke and makes PGI look even worse

It might be the case without you even know it.

One of our clients insisted that she sent me some e-mails, but they did not arrive to my inbox.
After some intense inquiry I have found out that for some strange reason the entire "outlook.com" domain was banned in our computer network. Nobody in the IT department could tell me why or how it happened or how long this state lasted.

#56 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:20 AM

DOES IT GET ANY BETTER?

LOL this is MWO.

Animal Crossing is thataway.

#57 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

I've only dealt with MWO support once or twice, but they were actually great the times I had to. It's only Russ and Paul I hate, the rest of the staff have always been troopers, in my experience.

I honestly don't care enough to go through any serious effort to get it back. Perhaps I'll reinstall again one day just to see if it comes back, but for now, the config file fix is fine. I just found it odd that it was gone around the same time I noticed a downgrade in server performance, and with Russ, the assumption that it was intentional was easy to make, what can I say.

#58 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

If you remapped it then uninstalled MWO then reinstalled, that does not delete/override the settings in Saved games folder.

C:\Users\Windows log in name\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles

Then pilot name. Rename the folder so all info is fresh but without erasing your original settings if you want to restore them. The file itself is the actionmaps.xml file.

Correct, they removed the ability to remap F9 and some other actions/keystrokes, but if you previously changed it and your profile is still in the Saved Games location, then it should still be remapped to the revised key, unless it is in conflict with another action, then neither may not work.

#59 Wild Kadabra

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

No, if anything it gets way worse. Game was never perfect but it was enjoyable when solo queue was solo queue. As many have pointed out now games are decided by who gets more party stacks in their team.

Group queue became a desolated wasteland cuz no solo player would queue for that cuz nobody enjoys PUBs vs Team and getting roflstomped. So they Q.Q to PGI and PGI allowed a limited number in solo queue. Problem? Sync dropping works perfectly fine. So you often end up with a PUB vs Team in "solo" queue.

Result? A lot of solo players have quitted for good and solo queue is now slowly becoming the desolated wasteland that group queue was. You end up having a bad game, queue for another, get roflstomped again cuz you end up playing against the same people, sometimes more than twice in a row. The player base was always small and leaking, now its tiny and the floodgates of people running away bigger than ever.

Solo queue times for me used to take 2 minutes at most, now most of the time I have time to make coffee, have a cigarette and watch half of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy before I find a game.

#60 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:48 AM

I'm pretty sure Russ has me blocked on Twitter due to some of our past interactions - but I know he can't be getting any positive feedback about anything nowadays. The only real hope I have left is he gets tired of people complaining to him and just gives the go-ahead to roll back the changes to March or whenever we had that little sweet spot.

I doubt it would bring many back, but it could just keep the few of us still here playing longer. That is, if he even wants that...none of his actions over the years have at all been in line with those of someone who actually wants to have a successful business or happy customers...so there's that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users