Looking To The Future Of Mechwarrior

544 replies to this topic

#141 Scooter Libby

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

Welcome back Daeron!!! Happy to have you!

#142 UnPh4ZeD

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

It's great to see a familiar face back in the fold. It definitely gives me hope for continued game support and community engagement. Looking forward to what the future holds for MWO.

#143 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

Becoming the Community Manager for PGI is kind of like becoming the drummer for Spinal Tap.

I wish you well anyway...

Posted Image

#144 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:10 PM

Switch to Unreal-5?

#145 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:23 PM

Check your network to see if your end is dropping legit player network packets unnecessarily to fix hit reg issues.
Check your infrastructure.
Its my biggest issue.

#146 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:27 PM

Hey Daeron, glad to have you with PGI
Also...

#OneOfEachMechVariantInTheGame

#147 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:41 PM

Of course, I really hope for changes that will make this game better and more interesting, but some doubts do not give me peace of mind.
I want to say that Daeron's previous contract ended in January 2020 (Daeron himself said this), but the game stagnated, became boring, uninteresting, and sometimes just disgusting much earlier, back in the days when Daeron was working on the previous contract.
Many, to put it mildly, not very correct decisions on the game, which pushed a very large number of players away from the game, were made during Daeron's previous contract. It is this thought that prevents me from looking positively at the future, this thought does not give me any firm hope that something really amazingly good will happen in the game.

However, i have a little hope for a better future.
Good luck, Daeron. You will have a lot of work, a lot of really difficult tasks, in order for this game to become at least a little better than it is now.

Sorry for my English.

#148 SkymasterC337

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:44 PM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 06 October 2020 - 06:41 PM, said:

Sorry for my English.

Your English is better than a lot of Americans, at least in text form.

#149 Unconstructive Waste of Time

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:49 PM

We need new IS mech for MWO!
And tune down some dirt clanner mech that have specially weird small hit boxes and many other scumbag things.

#150 Mordent Hex

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:51 PM

Ok, so I got into this game way back when it was still in closed beta because it offered community warfare. A lot was promised times were exciting but in the end I think those promises fell a flat of community expectations. However, going forward, and not rehashing the mistakes of the past, I personally would like to see Mechwarrior Online Community warfare take the lead as MW5 gives anyone who wants to the ability to jump in a Mech on their own and kill stuff till their hearts content. This is Mechwarrior ONLINE. If the ONLINE part isn't offering something different than what MW5 does, then what is the point of playing it? I can kill Mechs all day long on MW5, mod it and never have to look at this game again. However, I can't engage in MEANINGFUL warfare and community interaction with thousands of other players. Give this game a distinct reason to play it besides wrecking robots and you will have your community supporting you 100%. Ok, not 100% there are always going to be some people who are just not going to be happy and others who will ***** no matter what you do. BUT if you can bring this game back from it's current state I would support that and as a consequence continue to support PGI because of it. That means I would be willing to invest in this game again.

A game is only as worthwhile as its consumer base finds it worth playing. Make us want to play it again and not just MW5. People will not sink money into a game they think is on the verge of collapsing and the servers being turned off and you will not find many new players willing to risk sinking their teeth into it either. I feel that community warfare is the answer to that. give us a dynamic online interactive experience and you will have a game that could last another 10 years or more.

#151 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

View PostSkymasterC337, on 06 October 2020 - 06:44 PM, said:

Your English is better than a lot of Americans, at least in text form.

Thanks!
The ability to think logically and consistently together with the use of a google-translator allows you to clearly express your thoughts even in a foreign language :)
On the other hand, using a google-translator does not always help you understand what native English speakers are writing. You sit and try to understand: it was the Google translator who translated the text incorrectly, or the person used highly specialized vocabulary, or the person, even in their native language, does not know how to clearly express their thoughts)))

Sorry for offtopic.

#152 SkymasterC337

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:15 PM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 06 October 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

Thanks!
The ability to think logically and consistently together with the use of a google-translator allows you to clearly express your thoughts even in a foreign language Posted Image
On the other hand, using a google-translator does not always help you understand what native English speakers are writing. You sit and try to understand: it was the Google translator who translated the text incorrectly, or the person used highly specialized vocabulary, or the person, even in their native language, does not know how to clearly express their thoughts)))

Sorry for offtopic.

It's sad how often the third possibility is the correct one... Even in cases where the person's profession is dependent upon their ability to write clearly and correctly...

#153 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 05 October 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

Edit: can u spell Tukayyid?

**** tukayyid, bring back the battle for kooken's pleasure pit!

#154 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:44 PM

Heres some quality of life changes that I think would be good.

-Override should have a little symbol or indicator light by the heat meter and a message of override engaged pop up next to the heat level warning when that comes up.

-Critical damage indicator moved to down by your paper doll. Could still have it pop up in its current spot when it first happens but then have it go down there, or just go away or have a option of making it go away.

-In the large indicator area, shrink the messages down a little bit and have 2 different spots for messages. One for incoming missiles and one for other warnings, like mode specific base under attack.

-Battlegrid indicator next to your range finder and selected enemies. So if your reticle is on a rock in e4, it would say e4 next to the distance. And selected enemies would show their grid next to the red box and/or paper doll.

-Be able to select audio device for game audio. Like how we can for Voip. Be helpful for recording/streaming.

-Have a button that mutes all voip. Maybe also have a button to mute last speaker but I would like to be able to turn all voip off and on with a button. Good for players that use TS/discord and in game voip.

-Free arm movement, like free look but only goes as far as the arm movement.

-Be able to customize what comes up when you hit the mech info button or have another button that just brings up the target letter id. When someone calls "alpha banshee CT" I just want to see "A" over the mech, I know what a banshee looks like and I don't need to see the enemies name and definitely not the title they chose.

-Option to change uac double shot to hold down button, tap button for single shot.

-Option to start matches with override shutdown on.

-Option to set weapon groups to toggle on/off, best used with tag but could be nice on mechs with lots of weapon types that have machine guns and flamers too.

-Get rid of dynamically changing time of day on maps. Have maps start at different time of day but just stay that time.

-Change target spotted to show last known location if los/lock are lost. Right now it lets you track enemies even when theres no way that you should be able to.

-Urbie IIC, probably the biggest and most important quality of life improvement possible.

-Balance pass, though that needs its own post.

My super duper profesionally made mock up of some hud suggestions.

Posted Image
probably move the red H8 to under A, and yellow H8 to under range indicator. And have an option to get rid of the pilot name, mech type, and title that displays next to the mech indication A.

edit:
-Make mode selection a checkbox list. A player/group should be able to go to a list of all the modes (quick play, faction play either side, scouting either side, all the solaris divs with a casual and rated option (add casual to solaris)) and whatever modes you have properly set up with mechs/decks should be selectable. Then you should be able to select what modes you want with an option to set a preferred mode and it should search the preferred mode for a bit, if a good match can't be made it will then add all the other selected modes to the search and give you the best match.

That would help with match making, and help some of the less played modes that died because even the players that liked it stopped playing because search took to long. For instance I liked scouting and some of the guys I play with did too, but when playing in a group others didn't want to play because we would search forever and then just cancel. If it would have just searched for a bit and then moved to another mode I'm sure we would have got matches because others were probably like us. Solaris is similar, you sit there looking for a match in one div for a while, wonder if maybe theres some in other divs, switch divs, and then miss a match because you lost your priority spot.

Edited by dario03, 07 October 2020 - 11:29 PM.

#155 PotatoCrunch

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:03 PM

Just here to randomly insert my own opinion, speaking as someone who's taking a break from the game

It would be really awesome to see new weapons or anything to shake up what's considered "the meta"! I feel like I've gone through the same kinds of builds on most mechs and I've exhausted most possibilities on above average or decent builds. After all, one of the appeals of the game is customization, and while there will always be a "meta," it would be nice to see it change from time to time. More weapons would personally mean more variety for me, feels like there could be a lot more.

#156 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:05 PM

View Postdario03, on 06 October 2020 - 07:44 PM, said:

Heres some quality of life changes that I think would be good.

-Override should have a little symbol or indicator light by the heat meter and a message of override engaged pop up next to the heat level warning when that comes up.

-Critical damage indicator moved to down by your paper doll. Could still have it pop up in its current spot when it first happens but then have it go down there, or just go away or have a option of making it go away.

-In the large indicator area, shrink the messages down a little bit and have 2 different spots for messages. One for incoming missiles and one for other warnings, like mode specific base under attack.

-Battlegrid indicator next to your range finder and selected enemies. So if your reticle is on a rock in e4, it would say e4 next to the distance. And selected enemies would show their grid next to the red box and/or paper doll.

-Be able to select audio device for game audio. Like how we can for Voip. Be helpful for recording/streaming.

-Have a button that mutes all voip. Maybe also have a button to mute last speaker but I would like to be able to turn all voip off and on with a button. Good for players that use TS/discord and in game voip.

-Free arm movement, like free look but only goes as far as the arm movement.

-Be able to customize what comes up when you hit the mech info button or have another button that just brings up the target letter id. When someone calls "alpha banshee CT" I just want to see "A" over the mech, I know what a banshee looks like and I don't need to see the enemies name and definitely not the title they chose.

-Option to change uac double shot to hold down button, tap button for single shot.

-Option to start matches with override shutdown on.

-Option to set weapon groups to toggle on/off, best used with tag but could be nice on mechs with lots of weapon types that have machine guns and flamers too.

-Get rid of dynamically changing time of day on maps. Have maps start at different time of day but just stay that time.

-Change target spotted to show last known location if los/lock are lost. Right now it lets you track enemies even when theres no way that you should be able to.

-Urbie IIC, probably the biggest and most important quality of life improvement possible.

-Balance pass, though that needs its own post.

My super duper profesionally made mock up of some hud suggestions.
https://imgur.com/a/fJLV7Ya

probably move the red H8 to under A, and yellow H8 to under range indicator. And have and option to rid of the pilot name, mech type, and title that displays next to the mech indication A.

It'd also be great if we could mute a specific player's mousewheel call-outs. It doesn't happen often but when you get someone on your team who is trolling by spamming one of those things nonstop for three minutes it's really annoying. Would be nice to be able to shut that nonsense down.

#157 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

Go get it, Bomb. Looking forward to more Mechwarrior and some great content.
Any chance we can MW5 maps in MWO? Need new maps! Tired of playing on postage stamp sized maps.

#158 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:35 PM

View PostxxREVxx, on 06 October 2020 - 08:11 PM, said:

Go get it, Bomb. Looking forward to more Mechwarrior and some great content.
Any chance we can MW5 maps in MWO? Need new maps! Tired of playing on postage stamp sized maps.

Agreed, some cross pollination would be awesome...
But for me... I WANT ALL THE MECHS! :D

*not the face... please*

#159 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:51 PM

@daeron

I noticed Russ brought up the issue of rescale in the podcast and how they did volumetric scaling as community wanted and then according to him then hated it because things got huge.

That on itself is an answer to the question.

Volumetric scaling only refers to the relative size of mechs with regards to eachother. Problem was that PGI took the largest mech in the game as a reference and then enlarged the rest of the roster to match that.

That is what went wrong.
Light mechs were fine were they were at. Heavier mechs were just gigantic compared to them, a volumetric scaling in many people's minds was those heavier mechs getting smaller, not the other way around.

Even on the concept of pure volumetric scaling, there are massive mistakes in there, specially between 20 and 25 ton mechs and 35 ton mechs and above. I do 3D modeling as a hobby and at the same time work as a PhD in engineering, and I can tell you that there is nothing Volumetric between the proportions of a 25ton commando and a 35 ton panther, and that is measurement to the last cubic pixel. Even assuming constant mass and volume for the cockpit, and such... the proportions are so out of whack.

In the podcast, Phil almost brought it up. The major reason larger mechs are so easy to pinpoint is that they are so damn gigantic. And the fact that their sheer size does not allow them to use pieces of cover effectively, even at all. For example, an Atlas should really be 77% of what it is now. Choosing the commando as a reference.

I recently did a mod for Mechwarrior 5 (MW5 Reloaded) which also included a proper volumetric scaling with the commando as a reference (you can give it a look). I can have a pretty good guess why the volumetric scaling was done in the opposite direction. As you shrink the size of the bigger mechs, you need to have faster animations for them (since linear speed should remain the same) and animation team was busy doing something else at the time.

If PGI wants to ever brings re-scale back to the table... many... MANY would love to see it done in the other direction (basing the reference on the smaller end, rather than the already gigantic ones)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Navid A1, 08 October 2020 - 01:33 PM.

#160 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

i think my wishlist is pretty straight forward:

more maps
shorter wait times
more maps
more weapons
more maps