Capellan 'Mechs

168 replies to this topic

#41 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 05 January 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

Did I miss something? Last time I checked my TRO it told me that both the Sunder and the Owens were designed and produced within the Combine.

Now I found the fault (not mine, ofc. I am too perfect for that :lol: ). It is the fact I have no real TROs, or other documents at home and so I mostly get my information from Sarna and both Owens and Sunder are listed as Capellan mechs along with Vindicator, Emperor, Huron, etc. I do not know why is it that way, but I stand corrected, so just move on... :P

Can I ask about Huron a thing or two? I always liked his design and even chose him as my "favorite" mech, till I found he is not available yet, so I moved on to Shadow Hawk. Can you give me a brief info on him, or at least check if the one on sarna is right? (this is the second time I have said some stupidity just because of it and I look forward to not do somethin like that anytime soon, so I will rather be cautious) Thanks. ;)

Edited by Adridos, 05 January 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#42 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

The info on sarna.net seems correct, though I have no clue from where they get their infos for the variants. Only the HUR-W0-R4M is mentioned in the TRO, and this version fields no standard medium laser.

Scrolling through sarna I see where the Sunder and CC came together. The mech was licensed to StarCorps on St.Ives when it was still independent. So yes, after the Capellean Solution one could count the Sunder as a capellean mech.

#43 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

But that still leaves the Owens question. AFAIK it never made it to CC. :P

#44 MechWolf

Rookie

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

The Madcat always. The shape, the cockpit, the huge missile silos...my favorite happy place.

#45 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostMechWolf, on 05 January 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

The Madcat always. The shape, the cockpit, the huge missile silos...my favorite happy place.

You failed....

#46 Bernardo Sinibaldi

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationThe Perfumed Garden, Cathay

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostMechWolf, on 05 January 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

The fourth succession war would have gone a bit differently if we'd had a few of those lying around....

It's not very Capellan really is it? We could probably strap a couple of ammo bins (empty) on the shoulders of an Urbie, paint some HE-111 style artwork on the front and call it a KookyCat but I doubt we'd do much more than that. Budget cuts y'see - all that green paint ain't cheap.

Edited by Bernardo Sinibaldi, 05 January 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#47 Xen Wolf

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Yah I agree the vindicator was the biggest mainstream capellan. If nothing else the people fighting in the arenas at Solaris representing the Capellan used vindicator pretty exclusively.

#48 Xen Wolf

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostGrayson Pryde, on 05 January 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

You failed....

I agree the Mad cat come on or more appropriately named timber wolf is a Clan design.

#49 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 05 January 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Scrolling through sarna I see where the Sunder and CC came together. The mech was licensed to StarCorps on St.Ives when it was still independent. So yes, after the Capellean Solution one could count the Sunder as a capellean mech.

You're welcome for that. I was a FanPro Commando and playtester when they were creating the first comprehensive Faction List for Classic BattleTech: Combat Operations. You have no idea how hard I had to fight to get the Sunder included on the list for the Capellans. My argument was nearly rejected our of hand, and I had to show St. Ives had the factory capacity to produce Mechs of the appropriate tonnage or type for each of the licensed StarCorps designs. I tried to get the Avatar as well, as the Capellans had no heavy OmniMechs in production, but I was out voted when I couldn't find a factory in St. Ives space with the appropriate capacity. Likewise, they wouldn't let us have the Black Hawk-KU, but at least the Confederation was producing the Men Shen Medium OmniMech by then. The Capellans also received the Blackjack Omni and the Owens following the reunion of St. Ives with the Confederation.

When we were creating this list, it seemed like every Mech in existence was being assigned to the Federated Commonwealth, while the Capellan Confederation was denied the benefit of the doubt. Even homegrown Capellan designs like the BJ-3 Blackjack were taken from us, and assigned to the Federated Commonwealth in error. The FedCom players all assumed it was one of their variants because of the quality of the design, and that all of the Fourth Succession War prototypes had ended up in FedCom hands. I see that Sarna mentions that the St. Ives Compact turned the majority of the triple-strength myomer designs over to the Federated Commonweath at the end of the Fourth Succession War, but it forgets to mention that subsequently the BJ-3 Blackjack (sans defective myomer) was chosen by the St. Ives Compact for production because of its compatibility with the Vindicator. I made certain the BJ-3 appeared on the Capellan list, and hope to pilot one in MWO.

#50 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostAdridos, on 05 January 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

But that still leaves the Owens question. AFAIK it never made it to CC. :P

Trust me. It's one of ours now. ;)

It was one of the Omnis that was included at the time of the Classic BattleTech:Combat Operations faction list. I don't recall anyone fighting me on it. I think it was mentioned in the Capellan Solution, but I don't remember the exact reference. It may have been a St. Ives replacement for the Raven, but its going to bother me until I find the source again.

I am pleased to see the Avatar and BlackHawk-KU finally made it onto the list, based on new information written in Objectives: Capellan Confederation. It was obvious to me that the Capellans needed a Heavy OmniMech in their lineup, and I couldn't imagine Star Corps failing to fill it. Unfortunately, I was limited to published sourcebooks, which meant a single sentence describing the Star Corps license of OmniMechs to the St. Ives Compact, FM: Capellan Confederation, and a battered copy of Objective Raids describing their production capacity. The team of people constructing the original faction list had to justify every inclusion with a published reference. I may complain about how plentiful the Federated Commonwealth Mechs were in comparison, but they simply had more published material to use.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Owens must have been mentioned in either FM: Capellan Confederation or Loren Coleman's Capellan Solution series, as I don't recall a 35 ton production facility in the Compact.

#51 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

From House Liao: the Capellan Confederation-
(unit name-preferred mechs)
Cappelan Hussars- Thunderbolt, Orion
Prefectorate Guard- Centurion, Archer
Blandford's Grenadiers- Catapult, Thunderbolt
Northwind Highlanders- Blackjack, Vindicator
Mc Cormack's Fusiliers- Commando, Wasp
1st Kearny Highlanders- Ostol, Catapult
2nd Kearny- Commando, Vindicator
Chesterson's Reserves-
1st Ariana Fusiliers-Falcon, Vindicator
2nd Ariana- Salvaged equipment
Ariana Grenadiers- Marauder, Panther
1st Chesterson Voltigeurs- Shadow Hawk, Wasp
2nd Chesterson- Panther, Thunderbolt
3rd Chesterson- Commando, Vindicator
Hamilton's Highlanders- Commando Phoenix Hawk
Lothar's Fusiliers- Hornet, Wasp
Sung's Cuirassiers- Hunchback, Thunderbolt
Kingston's Legionaires- Trebuchet, Vindicator
Trimaldi's Secutors- Phoenix Hawk, Spider
Vincent's Commandos- Commando, Ostroc
Kincade's Rangers- Ostscout, Scorpion
Kerr's Intruders- Charger, Thunderbolt
1st St. Ives Lancers- Crusader, Vindicator
2nd St. Ives- Panther, Vindicator
St. Ives Cheveau Legers- Hatchetman, Rifleman
Justinia's Cuiressiers- Quickdraw, Thunderbolt
Stapleton's Iron Hand- Banshee, Centurion
Cochraine's Goliaths- Goliath, Thunderbolt
Shepard's Mounted Fusiliers- Commando, Vindicator
Blackwind Lancers- Enforcer, Archer

Then there are the reserves and mercenary units also.

Specifically mentioned as House Liao battlemechs: Vindicator, Raven, Cataphract. But hands down the Vindicator is the most iconic as it is the only one mentioned in the original rulebook.

#52 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:49 AM

So we had a lot of mech designs, but with the fourth succession wars, we lost most of the facilities and plans and ended up just with Cataphract, Raven and ofc. Vindicator? :P

#53 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 January 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

So we had a lot of mech designs, but with the fourth succession wars, we lost most of the facilities and plans and ended up just with Cataphract, Raven and ofc. Vindicator? :P

Plus plans for Marik Battlemasters and Wolverines (aquired by Max Liao during the Marik civil war), though I don't know if they were even produced within the Confederation.

#54 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 06 January 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

Plus plans for Marik Battlemasters and Wolverines (aquired by Max Liao during the Marik civil war), though I don't know if they were even produced within the Confederation.

But that is still very little. :P (and we obtained Flea back then too, if I remember right)

Edited by Adridos, 06 January 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#55 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

Well, the industrial base of the Confederation is still pretty small atm. But the good thing is that we allready know that better times lay ahead. :P

#56 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

What bugs me with the Owens is that it normally has no place within the Confederation. As an omni-mech it is rather expansive compared to non-omni light mechs. The scout role is allready filled with the Raven and the Stealth-mech I forgot the name of. The fire support for light lances is provided by the Duan Gung. This leaves the Owens with the role of an ambush/attack/raider-role, something it might be considered to valuable.

#57 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Dont worry my capellan friends. House Steiner will allways send you mechs if you can pay the bill. :P

#58 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Kinda bad you did not pay your bill and just stolen our stealth armor and even asked us to assemble it. :P

Edited by Adridos, 06 January 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#59 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 January 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

Kinda bad you did not pay your bill and just stolen our stealth armor and even asked us to assemble it. ;)

Shhhhhh! We can get Barghests from them...in some years! :P

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 06 January 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#60 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 06 January 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Shhhhhh! We can get Barghests from them...in some years! :P

We start making new designs, Huron and a Shadow Hawk variant inclouded in some years too. I do not care for some Barghests. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users