Suicide By Overheating

8 replies to this topic

#1 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:21 AM

I think that there should be a warning of some kind that pushing the heat gauge too high can lead to a heat-induced suicide.

Maybe even add some notification that such heat-induced suicide is going to result into the loss of C-Bill earnings and to the drop of player's Match Score.

I am making this suggestion because if it happens that a player commits such suicide in the Academy, he will respawn in his fresh 'Mech again instantly - and this is something what would not happen in the actual mission.

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, it would be good if they alerted in the Academy that people do not get second chances with the same Mech while out on the actual normal battlefields, even if their Mech is pushed into a Death-inducing Overheat while in combat. I can imagine how many people found this out the hard way and got really angry to the point that they didn't stick around, even though the Academy is supposed to be a zone where one can learn how to survive with their Mech before going out there. :(

This does sometimes make people have the wish that there were respawn mechanics like what MechWarrior 2&3 used to have. Mechanics which have become a standard in most of the online games these days, from what I understand. :unsure:

~D. V. "You're right, a Warning in the Academy about 'Mech Death by Overheat' happening is a good idea." Devnull

#3 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:02 AM

That's why I suggested it: If such difference between the Academy and the real mission exists, new players should be told about it.

#4 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

Interesting input.
I wonder how many people do the academy BEFORE any missions? I know some games force you to. But if they don't, I bet most players just jump into combat for a bit.

I had done missions and figured out that if you die, you die, the old fashioned way.
Then it just makes sense that in training, you get to keep going. Because its training.

Maybe there's some wording in the academy to change. But I would hope that suiciding once wouldn't scare someone away, so it might be very low on the change list.

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 11:19 AM

Well, the Academy should tell them everything about the game mechanics, since the Academy is the only place in the game where the new players can be lead by the game designers through everything step by step.

#6 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:14 AM

What I would really like to see is a few of the suicides instead being credited to whoever caused it. Do enough damage to a mech in the air and its legs can no longer take the damage from the landing so it dies... why is that a Suicide? Destroy a side torso so the pilot is cooked alive... in what way is that a Suicide? Actually cooking a mech with Flamers??? Ya... that is apparently a Suicide if the death was by heat and not by damage from the Flamers....

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:20 AM

View PostSkydrive, on 01 November 2020 - 10:14 AM, said:

What I would really like to see is a few of the suicides instead being credited to whoever caused it. Do enough damage to a mech in the air and its legs can no longer take the damage from the landing so it dies... why is that a Suicide? Destroy a side torso so the pilot is cooked alive... in what way is that a Suicide? Actually cooking a mech with Flamers??? Ya... that is apparently a Suicide if the death was by heat and not by damage from the Flamers....

Perhaps it would be better to post it in this section: Feature Suggestions

#8 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:40 AM

View Postmartian, on 01 November 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

Perhaps it would be better to post it in this section: Feature Suggestions

Meh, feels like I likely did years ago, and don’t want to revive an old post like that.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:59 AM

View PostSkydrive, on 02 November 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

Meh, feels like I likely did years ago, and don’t want to revive an old post like that.

But now MWO has the new Community Manager who said that he is looking for suggestions that would improve the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users