#41 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:39 PM

View PostXDevilsChariotX, on 17 November 2020 - 01:32 PM, said:

That or even have something like the tournament supporter pack always available for purchase that provides a global extra 15-20% bonus to exp and cbills.
And why not? That wasn't very far from the season pass model other games offer, and players who bought into it (myself included) loved it.

#42 Le_Mac

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts
  • LocationQuébec, Canada

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

New Items (Metallic Patterns, Custom UI Colors, Voice Packs, Sound Packs, Laser Color Customization, MechLab Customization, Global Patterns)

yes, yes, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Le_Mac, 17 November 2020 - 04:18 PM.

#43 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:14 PM

View PostGalahad2030, on 17 November 2020 - 12:46 PM, said:

Posting for reference. Capn Cat posted this Pilots proposal in Feature suggestions. It's professional quality work. Give it a read.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

A big part of that proposal is adding another to layer of skills as well as requiring additional grind to get and skill pilots. No thank you.

Cosmetics, etc. are fine, but we don't need changes to gameplay mechanics of this type.

#44 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:18 PM

We each have our own opinion on pilots and how it would be implemented. Safe to say the community is divided on this feature request. It does not mean it should not be shared and discussed.

In the best case scenario you have a major release MWO: Legendary Mechwarriors. In the worst case scenario it's ignored, or worse implemented badly.

Either way the proposal is professional grade and deserves it's 15 minutes of fame.

#45 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

View PostGalahad2030, on 17 November 2020 - 05:18 PM, said:

We each have our own opinion on pilots and how it would be implemented. Safe to say the community is divided on this feature request. It does not mean it should not be shared and discussed.

In the best case scenario you have a major release MWO: Legendary Mechwarriors. In the worst case scenario it's ignored, or worse implemented badly.

Either way the proposal is professional grade and deserves it's 15 minutes of fame.

As I said I'm fine with the parts of the proposal that don't include changing the skill tree and/or changing game mechanics. Adding cosmetics, etc is fine imo. However, adding another layer of optimization is not going to be good for the game. People already struggle to run viable builds and skill trees, adding yet another layer not only simply increases power creep but also creates yet another opportunity for players to lose in the mechlab (or barracks as it were).

Additionally, if pilots and associated skills completely replaced skill tree you would lose out on some of the customization that makes this game interesting. Yes, much of each skill tree is the same mech to mech, BUT the skill tree does provide the opportunity to use a unique skill tree for a unique role.

BTW discussing a proposal like this necessarily includes criticizing it.

Edited by Brauer, 17 November 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#46 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:41 PM

View PostBrauer, on 17 November 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

As I said I'm fine with the parts of the proposal that don't include changing the skill tree and/or changing game mechanics. Adding cosmetics, etc is fine imo. However, adding another layer of optimization is not going to be good for the game. People already struggle to run viable builds and skill trees, adding yet another layer not only simply increases power creep but also creates yet another opportunity for players to lose in the mechlab (or barracks as it were).

Additionally, if pilots and associated skills completely replaced skill tree you would lose out on some of the customization that makes this game interesting. Yes, much of each skill tree is the same mech to mech, BUT the skill tree does provide the opportunity to use a unique skill tree for a unique role.

BTE discussing a proposal like this necessarily includes criticizing it.

You're either in favor of pilots or against. The confusing thing about your response is the first half says it could work with modification. The second half of your response assumes that it would be implemented as is - without addressing valid concerns - and ends the notion of pilots.

Pilots could be independent of mechs. A collection of pilots from which you pick when you drop. Some pilots can be unavailable due to injury similar to HBS Battletech pilots. Skill grinding would be inline with PGI's income model which depends on premium time primarily to reduce the xp/c-bill grind.

Adding another layer of strategy does not make this game an RPG. HBS Battletech pilot model is a good simple basis to develop from the ground up.

Some of us, like me, thought Mechwarrior Online would be more like an MMO than it currently is. A lot of lore fans, and there are many, would love to have their Black Widow piloted by Natasha Kerensky herself. There is merit in the pilot concept.

First - be in favor or against. Then criticism can be addressed. Hedging on both sides means your undecided.

Edited by Galahad2030, 17 November 2020 - 05:42 PM.

#47 13Tradesman

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

As another mentioned (believe it or not) I'm not against in-game advertising if it is done right and does not become a data collection/privacy nightmare. More recently the MW5 DLC was announced on razercon...with a bit of Razer advertising...it would seem reasonable to allow certain gaming-related advertisements/deals in certain parts of the game if it is kept within reason...

Cockpit items/ decals...Solaris arena/city billboards and signs etc. Maybe the occasional announcement...

Advertising should not take over the game, mess with the GUI, add pop-ups or plaster your mech with unwanted stuff.

#48 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:36 PM

View PostGalahad2030, on 17 November 2020 - 05:41 PM, said:

You're either in favor of pilots or against. The confusing thing about your response is the first half says it could work with modification. The second half of your response assumes that it would be implemented as is - without addressing valid concerns - and ends the notion of pilots.

Pilots could be independent of mechs. A collection of pilots from which you pick when you drop. Some pilots can be unavailable due to injury similar to HBS Battletech pilots. Skill grinding would be inline with PGI's income model which depends on premium time primarily to reduce the xp/c-bill grind.

Adding another layer of strategy does not make this game an RPG. HBS Battletech pilot model is a good simple basis to develop from the ground up.

Some of us, like me, thought Mechwarrior Online would be more like an MMO than it currently is. A lot of lore fans, and there are many, would love to have their Black Widow piloted by Natasha Kerensky herself. There is merit in the pilot concept.

First - be in favor or against. Then criticism can be addressed. Hedging on both sides means your undecided.

I feel I was quite clear. As it exists I am against the pilots proposal that Capn Cat put together. Specifically I am very opposed to the section "Specialty" as I made clear in my initial comments here (this section describes pilot-connected buffs to mechs in addition to or as a replacement for the skill tree). I am also against the pieces in the section titled "Loyalty" that describe buffs for specific mechs. This will not improve the game. Players already need to select appropriate chassis and variants, put together a decent build, and appropriately skill out that build. Adding an additional skill layer will A) just increase power creep, and Posted Image widen the gap between optimally set up mechs and poorly put together builds and skill trees.

The parts I am fine with are the cosmetic changes that Capn Cat laid out, as I described in my initial comments here.

MWO is not an MMO. It would be better for an MMO to be built from the ground-up than to try to shoehorn poorly fitting MMO elements into the existing system.

Edited by Brauer, 17 November 2020 - 06:37 PM.

#49 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for making your position clear.

I've expressed my desire and expectation for lore based pilots integrated into the game, and you have expressed the elements that you approve and disapprove of.

MWO can have more RPG elements to appeal to the lore fans in the game. Pilots is one way to do so.

I don't agree that pilots is shoehorning poorly fitting MMO elements into the existing system. Like the inclusion of skill trees, it's an element, and it should be given serious consideration.

#50 13Tradesman

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:43 PM

Also there is already 'A Need For Speed' monetization system in place for MC purchases of c-bills, converting skill points etc.

While I personally do not like the current system regarding mech engines and buying each one separately for every single speed...lol...having a way to buy multiple engine/engine types with MC might be an attractive option...

Edited by 13Tradesman, 17 November 2020 - 06:44 PM.

#51 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:54 PM

View PostGalahad2030, on 17 November 2020 - 06:41 PM, said:

Thanks for making your position clear.

I've expressed my desire and expectation for lore based pilots integrated into the game, and you have expressed the elements that you approve and disapprove of.

MWO can have more RPG elements to appeal to the lore fans in the game. Pilots is one way to do so.

I don't agree that pilots is shoehorning poorly fitting MMO elements into the existing system. Like the inclusion of skill trees, it's an element, and it should be given serious consideration.

My point is there's no need to have essentially 2 levels of skills (skill tree plus pilot skills) on top of choosing a mech and build. That's unnecessary.

#52 Galahad2030

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:02 PM

View PostBrauer, on 17 November 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

My point is there's no need to have essentially 2 levels of skills (skill tree plus pilot skills) on top of choosing a mech and build. That's unnecessary.

Sure. Option A is to make them cosmetic and/or with pre-assigned unique combat capabilites.

Option B is develop the pilot concept to include a reasonable amount of pilot-xp grind to add value to premium time purchases.

I don't have an issue with either if pilots get put in.

#53 Strikerchief

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:18 PM

Hi there Daeron,

Love all the talk about all the new features that are being thought about being put into the game.

I don't know how hard this would be to do considering the game is multiplayer but it would be cool if there could be different render modes that people would be able to change the look of the game in the menu and the game like Doom Eternal with their render modes. The render modes could encompass the look of all the Mechwarrior games from Mechwarrior 1-4 and use the way they looked to use those in multiplayer. One of the renders could be old school 3d vector graphics like Star Wars Arcade or Battlezone. Another render mode could be black and white.

Also with sound packs. Adding the sounds of all the Mechwarrior games from 1-5 for weapons and mech sounds.

Thanks,
Chris

#54 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:19 AM

View PostGalahad2030, on 17 November 2020 - 06:41 PM, said:

It cannot. It is, fundamentally, NOT an RPG. It's a vehicle shooter. You're trying to bring elements from hero shooters into the game when new players are already ****ing overwhelmed with chassis, variants and weapons on display. They don't need another layer of complexity.

MWO could have been a MMORPG, yes. If PGI has taken that direction during early development, the beta at the latest.
They haven't. What we get here is not a MMORPG, it's a vehicle shooter set in the Battletech universe. Claiming it's anything but that or that it can pull a sudden 180 without losing huge chunks of the existing playerbase is absurd at best.

I don't agree that pilots is shoehorning poorly fitting MMO elements into the existing system.
Yes, it is. You're essentially asking it to copy Eve Online's player avatar system.

Like the inclusion of skill trees, it's an element, and it should be given serious consideration.

It's something that would cater to a small minority of players while being an unnecessary distraction or annoyance to the rest. We've seen how that works out, ie bad.

The only part that fits in the scope of this thread is the cosmetic monetization.

View PostStrikerchief, on 17 November 2020 - 10:18 PM, said:

I don't know how hard this would be to do considering the game is multiplayer but it would be cool if there could be different render modes that people would be able to change the look of the game in the menu and the game like Doom Eternal with their render modes. The render modes could encompass the look of all the Mechwarrior games from Mechwarrior 1-4 and use the way they looked to use those in multiplayer. One of the renders could be old school 3d vector graphics like Star Wars Arcade or Battlezone. Another render mode could be black and white.
Not really. DE's render modes are basically post-processing filters. You're talking about using completely different visual assets, which would multiply the number of models in the game several times over (costing $$$ to produce) for negligible gain, and would also lead to gigantic inconsistencies with hitboxes between different render modes. In that form, it is very much NOT a good idea.

#55 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:37 AM

View PostGalahad2030, on 17 November 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostBrauer, on 17 November 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostHorseman, on 18 November 2020 - 12:19 AM, said:

Please take the discussion about Pilots to the appropriate thread. It has no place here.
Further discussion on that topic will be removed. Thanks.

#56 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 November 2020 - 03:14 AM

Hired a Good Artist for the bolt Ons, the most looking like created from a Drunken WH40K Orc ...ugly like the Hell, oversized ,rusty ...a pain for the eyes, im use only the Rifleman woody Bolt on.
]Brings more Military looking Bolt Ons, Search lights, Ammuniton Boxes ,Amorplates,Heraldic Shilds for Decals , thats not looking like Orc Work

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 18 November 2020 - 03:15 AM.

#57 Mechwho

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:19 AM

Gonna repost the content of a topic I created yesterday, I believe this is a important change that must be made:

I've decided to come back to MWO after taking several long iatus (probably some of you too) and after I've saw a video from NGNG interviewing Russ and co. wanting community feedback on how they could improve the game I thought it would be a good time to offer some feedback of my own.

Before posting this topic I've sent a support ticket to Piranha's Billing Staff explaining the costs involving account name change but I'm not holding much hope it will be resolved in a favorable manner to me.
Below is part of what I've sent in my mail to ilustrate my problem right now and hopefully I'll be able to find other foreigners here who enjoy Battletech/Mechwarrior as much as I do but have similar a issue:[/color]

Currently one dollar to reais (Brazilian currency) is at R$ 5,33, calculating this value to the amount of MC I need to pay for the name change (4,500 MC) I’d have to cash out 153,72 bucks just for a name change, with that Money I could buy a semi new triple A game or a double A game (mechwarrior 5 i.e) or several indie or old titles.

As you can see, it ain't cheap for me to invest in a game like this and the only purchase I've made with my money in the past few years, as far as I can recall, was the recently Solaris Hero pack that was within a very generous price to pay (58 reais).

To reinforce the argument, the minimum wage in my country is R$ 1.087,84, that is 204,16 american dollars or 267,70 canadian Dollars, again, not cheap.

I think this is clear enough for everyone to understand my predictiment and hopefully something can be changed about this. Personally I'd go the Warframe route, at least adapt it in some way instead of making this grinding fests (events) that give little gratification and feel like PGI is throwing us a bone to keep us satisfied for a little longer.

Edited by Mechwho, 18 November 2020 - 05:21 AM.

#58 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:24 AM

all $$$ mechs need bonuses.

#59 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:33 AM

View PostAmer, on 17 November 2020 - 01:50 AM, said:

Let us re-purchase Hero omnipods for c-bills (if the hero is currently owned) and/or allow hero omnipods to be bought with mc.

hell even throw in new omnipods. for example shoulder mounted ballistics on timbys.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 November 2020 - 05:33 AM.

#60 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:37 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 November 2020 - 05:24 AM, said:

all $$$ mechs need bonuses.

What do you mean? Do you mean that if you buy a mech with cash it should be 10% stronger? If so that's a horrible pay to win idea and has no place in a competitive game.

If you mean mechs bought for real world currency should get a cbill or xp boost that's fine imo. I doubt PGI would go for it because it doesn't conform to their current model where hero, special, and loyalty mechs get cbill boosts, but you never know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users